advertisement

Best Courier for Insured Shipment??????

strummer

pfm Member
I'm looking to ship a parcel (Amp/DAC). It's only 6.2Kg so shipment costs around £6-10, but buyer wants it Insured. Parcel2Go want £43+VAT. Taking the piss!

I can't believe dealers pay that amount. Personally, I wouldn't either, as it's double boxed etc..

Are there any Couriers who insure at a reasonable price?

Parcel Force.

All the couriers get slated by someone at some stage, probably all are OK 90++++% of the time. Fortunately, I have had no problems SO FAR with any (90+% receiving).

Why is it taking the piss ?
IF the insurance ACTUALLY covers all eventualities.
You hear time and time again sellers complaining about courier and shipping damages.
Use a decent company like UPS stump up the insurance cost, ship it and get on with life simples.
FWIW I’m involved in the parcel logistics field
Until very recently I exclusively used UPS for my personal stuff because I am acutely aware of how the companies system operates....now I don’t use them either read into that what you would will.
My advice to anyone shipping goods with a value over £250 is only ship 24 hour delivery or pre 12
Never ship on a Friday or when a weekend coincides with a bank holiday.
Always cover in black shrink wrap.
Put an identical shipping label on the side of the box.
Check the insurance T’s C’s with a microscope !
Anything glass ( even small valves ) will void your
Insurance with almost every shipping company.
Even small amounts of fluid will also invalidate cover.there are loads of hidden caviats they use to void a claim

Last edited:
Dealers will have courier accounts. I have one with World Options. If it is Uk to UK I can get you a UPS label for 21 quid incl vat valued at 1000 or a DHL label for 30 quid valued the same. This is not even that competitive in the world of business courier accounts. But I only use them a couple of times per week

Why is it taking the piss ?
IF the insurance ACTUALLY covers all eventualities.
You here time and time again sellers complaining about courier and shipping damages.
Use a decent company like UPS stump up the insurance cost, ship it and get on with life simples.

It’s taking the piss, because it’s disproportionate. It’s like the insurance you can pay if you add it onto a flight etc..

6 quid for the package, nearly 60 quid insured????
We insure 2 cars with a 20 year old lad on there for 1500.
House insurance 300 quid....

I don’t like getting my leg lifted.

My question is there must be a better way.

Dealers will have courier accounts. I have one with World Options. If it is Uk to UK I can get you a UPS label for 21 quid valued at 1000 or a DHL label for 30 quid valued the same. This is not even that competitive in the world of business courier accounts. But I only use them a couple of times per week

Yes, they must have accounts. No way are they paying those amounts.

My missus buys annual travel insurance for the whole family. Costs about the same as you’d pay for 1.5 flights.

I only send these via Royal Mail Special Delivery ok it'll be £27.60 ( up to 10kg and £1000 cover ) but it's guaranteed next day AND fully insured.

Are you sure Parcel2go cover amps, I have a funny feeling they don't ( not fully anyway ) read the exemptions page.

For me Special Delivery is the best option.

It’s taking the piss, because it’s disproportionate. It’s like the insurance you can pay if you add it onto a flight etc..

My missus buys annual travel insurance for the whole family. Costs about the same as you’d pay for 1.5 flights.

Also, last time I looked, UPS avoid the consumer sites like parcelmonkey and interparcel. Are they still not quoting prices on there?

I only send these via Royal Mail Special Delivery ok it'll be £27.60 ( up to 10kg and £1000 cover ) but it's guaranteed next day AND fully insured.

Are you sure Parcel2go cover amps, I have a funny feeling they don't ( not fully anyway ) read the exemptions page.

For me Special Delivery is the best option.

I will check out that Royal Mail one in the morning, thanks!
Is that on a website or at the post office?

I just went on the Parcel2Go chat & gave them the details. They gave me that £43+VAT

So insurance is over 5%!

I agree, that seems extortionate.

Agreed. When you consider the car/house insurance would cover fire & human life/life changing injuries..... the the parcel insurance is taking the piss.

Plumb the figures into the calculator on the Parcel Force website.
I haven't checked but you might want to declare a value of something like £998???????????????????????

If hifi dealers’ insurers work like mine, they have insurance which covers all the stock on their premises and the same policy will also cover stock items in transit, whether it be in their own cars/vans, or in transit with a courier.

Therefore each time I get to the couriers insurance box simply tick no thanks.

Shipping items individually as a private person I’d stump up. Take photos of your packaging too... they have teams of people who’s job it is to wiggle out of a payout. Any proof you have of decent packaging is worth it.

what was the price?

Various prices from 5.29

I’m not great with sites like that. Info overload. I just hit the chat button & gave the details. 49cm x 39cm x 20 cm x 6.2kg. They gave me that price

Plumb the figures into the calculator on the Parcel Force website.
I haven't checked but you might want to declare a value of something like £998???????????????????????

I will do thanks

If hifi dealers’ insurers work like mine, they have insurance which covers all the stock on their premises and the same policy will also cover stock items in transit, whether it be in their own cars/vans, or in transit with a courier.

Therefore each time I get to the couriers insurance box simply tick no thanks.

Shipping items individually as a private person I’d stump up. Take photos of your packaging too... they have teams of people who’s job it is to wiggle out of a payout. Any proof you have of decent packaging is worth it.

That makes sense!

Yes, every parcel I’ve ever sent I take pics & video of every stage of packing & all sides of the parcel. Too many scammers out there!

I do use Parcel2Go but be aware that their insurance exclusion list includes pretty much anything audio related. They will happily take your money without flagging up any exclusions.

I could explain why the cost seems disproportionate or extortionate you take your pick but I’m sure my reply would just be met with cynicism.

advertisement

Back