advertisement

Best Courier for Insured Shipment??????

I could explain why the cost seems disproportionate or extortionate you take your pick but I’m sure my reply would just be met with cynicism.
It’s taking the piss because other couriers do it much cheaper. Parcel2Go are not alone in this particular con. Many other brokers are just as bad.

Typical point of sale ad ons. Just like extended warranties the likes of Curry’s sell or holiday insurance when you buy a flight.
They think your guard is down.

The problem with Parcelforce is the insurance costs. I recently had to send a parcel worth £1500, an amp. They quoted well over £100 for pick up and next day delivery and insurance.

If you do go the Special Delivery method, remember it goes as a Medium Parcel (allowed up to 61cmx61cmx46cm and 20kg).

I've had to educate a few PO staff on their own system :D

You can either pay at PO or buy it online and print your own label.

https://m.royalmail.com/price-finder

DO NOT CHOOSE PARCELFORCE

I do use Parcel2Go but be aware that their insurance exclusion list includes pretty much anything audio related. They will happily take your money without flagging up any exclusions.

I was just about to say the same!

(They do provide a list of exclusions but you have to look at it and it’s easy to miss)

The problem with Parcelforce is the insurance costs. I recently had to send a parcel worth £1500, an amp. They quoted well over £100 for pick up and next day delivery and insurance.
Which is why I use Royal Mail Special Delivery, any parcel up to 61cm x 61cm x 46cm and 20kg and £2500 insurance with guaranteed next day delivery before 1300hrs to the actual addressee NOT just someone who lives there or next door and if not in to sign it goes to the depot and you need proper ID to collect it.

Max cost is around £44 but for an item up to 20kg and £2500 value it's a price I'm happy to pay.

I recently booked UPS via Parcel2go for a guitar. You can't call P2G, they have a live on line system that chokes up at busy times. Remember your contract is with P2G and not with the courier, so you can't deal with the courier directly, and you are dependent of P2G liaising on your behalf. UPS 'lost' the instrument but it did turn up and I got it back after a month (credit to UPS), but it was a tortuous experience. P2G's response time is typically 24 hours for every contact.

to be honest, you pays your money and you takes a choice. IME if you use an agent like P2G there will always be a lesser service than if you go direct. All of them have an exclusion list, sometimes it can be quite difficult to find.

IME Parcelforce and UPS are ok, and in all these things, much is down to the local staff, and handlers. To make a sweeping statement like "dont use xyz" is ridiculous, if the issue is very local with no evidence of widespread impact.

Which is why I use Royal Mail Special Delivery, any parcel up to 61cm x 61cm x 46cm and 20kg and £2500 insurance with guaranteed next day delivery before 1300hrs to the actual addressee NOT just someone who lives there or next door and if not in to sign it goes to the depot and you need proper ID to collect it.

Max cost is around £44 but for an item up to 20kg and £2500 value it's a price I'm happy to pay.

Noted, and indeed it could be useful information for me in the future. In this case though it was a 29Kg package.

Noted, and indeed it could be useful information for me in the future. In this case though it was a 29Kg package.
29kg :eek:

Sounds like my power amp at 33kg and one of the reasons (other than the amazing sound) it'll be impossible to sell and post.

Bummer :D

Can I just add that he VERY WARY of courier resellers like Parcel2go, Parcel Monkey etc because their exclusions are all different from going direct to the actual courier themselves and many of them DO NOT cover certain boots of HiFi. Parcelforce don't cover amps, most won't cover turntables, speakers can be limited to a claim value of £250.

UPS who I use also ask if you're are using your own packaging or theirs so I've no doubt come claim time that might be an issue.

Some require the original packaging and most will ask to see the packaging in the event of a claim so ALWAYS take photos BEFORE, DURING and AFTER you've packed the item.

Also be aware that some might actually want to see the packaging for themselves and also see what it looks like upon arrival so make sure you're buyer hasn't binned it!

ALWAYS check the exclusions.

I’ve just used eBay’s own broker to send an AV amp. It’s gone by DPD and the screen said insured up to £60 which covers the value. If the item gets smashed to bits and the broker or DPD refused to pay out, I wonder if I could argue that eBay should have been aware of what the item was and therefore only offered me a service which provided the cover.

That’s well worth knowing, thanks.

Works out at £27.60 for my parcel, which is a lot less that Parcel2Go were quoting.
I loathe opportunist spivs!

I’ve just used eBay’s own broker to send an AV amp. It’s gone by DPD and the screen said insured up to £60 which covers the value. If the item gets smashed to bits and the broker or DPD refused to pay out, I wonder if I could argue that eBay should have been aware of what the item was and therefore only offered me a service which provided the cover.
Not a chance in hell

advertisement

Back