advertisement

Best CD clock upgrade?

That's great!

At those prices I'd be happy to extend my buy to get us the 200-off price. That way, howsabout sale at 3.50 inc P&P for the first board (? less for multiples) which could break down as:

£1.40-odd covers the board cost
£1 for P&P costs
50p royalty to Tony for PFM bandwidth
- and the balance to the envelopewrangler.

Comments?

Andy, great stuff.

Martin, sounds excellent. How's about £3.50 for the first board, £3.00 or thereabouts for each extra board? Additional price breaks for orders over 100 :D

The Pink Flea Modulator site has now been updated with rough pricing information and a running total of the orders so far, including statistics on the most popular clock frequencies.

Cheers,
Carl

£1.40-odd covers the board cost
£1 for P&P costs
50p royalty to Tony for PFM bandwidth
- and the balance to the envelopewrangler.

Agreed 100% - nice to give Tony a bit for the bandwidth too.

Let's finalise demand and then go from there, I can place the order on account, so payment can be made to me on delivery of the boards, I'd like to take a few (10-20) at cost, for doing the artwork, if that's OK with everyone.

At a (cheap) £30 / hour, there's over £400 worth of design time in this board :)

Editing_Time.gif

Andy.

I can quite believe that - anything cad-based takes forever! (...just....don't ask...)
Noone could grouse about a few boards at cost in return.

Agree with getting a better idea of quants - in the meantime I'll knock up some documentation for the prospective bodger, based on the discussion in this thread and a few other bits and pieces.

Agree with getting a better idea of quants - in the meantime I'll knock up some documentation for the prospective bodger, based on the discussion in this thread and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm working on a BOM, including suppliers, so I can send you that once it's complete, most of it is easy and I've found a nice NP0 ceramic, in axial lead format, for the 47pF at a few pennies ea.

Some of the parts are better bought as a group too, owing to MOQ's, I will clarify that once the BOM is done.

I can quite believe that - anything cad-based takes forever! (...just....don't ask...)

Tee hee - this package is nice, but I've only layed out half a dozen PCB's with it thus far, so it's not as quick as it could be, but it's getting better and I enjoy doing PCB layouts.

Andy.

I might regret offering to do this, but if there's a group buy of components, I might as well do the distribution of those as well; it makes good sense to do them as kits, so that a bodger can buy a bare board or a board + parts. I'm not offering to build them, though!

Let me know if there's any interest in this idea. If there is, I'll update the Pink Flea webpage to accomodate it.

I would definetly be interested in a full kit - board,tent xo and the surrounding parts. I think it really makes sense to have the precise tried and tested parts with such a sensitive output requirement.

Approx cost?

Bloody hell - I disappear from PFM for a while for an extended dose of business hell (long story) and there's all this :D

A very interesting looking board this "Pink Flea" is - Carl, please, I'd like to help with the distribution; be a good excuse to come round for a listen and a baggin up session ;)

Cheers

Nick

Carl, of course there is interest!!

I put a link into a Finnish forum and now I am gathering our orders in one bunch I will pay to you in time to come. So I am to order some more boards and components..

oz

Nick, you have voicemail :)

Oz, great stuff. As of now, there's enough interest for 176 boards. Your order is likely to tip that over the 200 mark I suspect. Great stuff! When you know how many you want, put in a fresh order and I'll delete the old one to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
Carl

As a result of doing the BOM, I've realised that the single resistor for the 0.5R, in leaded form isn't such a practical option, which left the choice of 2 leaded 1R's in parallel, or two SMD 1R's in parallel.

I've opted for the latter, on the basis they are very cheap and will do the job better than a leaded part.

Means a minor change to the artwork, but it won't affect the prices.

Andy.

I've just run up on the bench one of the Vishay TLHG5205 Green LED's I use in the super reg's, fed, as per the circuit, from the ground lead of an ST L7812CV regulator.

This LED illuminates nicely and gives almost exactly 2V Vf under these conditions (2.0106 on this sample at a few degrees C, for the anally retentive amongst us ;) ).

Based in this, an 820R for R7 and either a 1k2 or 1k3 for R6, will give 4.95V / 5.2V respectively, so this looks like a go-er.

We can order both values and select on test, but the 1k2 looks a winner, depending on other errors.

Andy.

Carl, we are obviously now on 7 boards for Finland.

The freqs are not yet clear.

Interested in kits: YES.

Oz

OK, here's a bit where you get to do some more work ;)

I've made up a PDF package, located here.

It contains various board views and the first draft of a bill of materials, with some suggested parts / suppliers. It's not set in stone - if Martin has component suggestions based on experience or anyone else can get better prices, from other suppliers, let us know!

I've not added pricing info yet - if that's passed to me, I'll fill it in.

Regards,

Andy.

P.S. I've just realised R8 is wrong - it's actually L1 (I couldn't be bothered to create a unique component for it, so used a resistor). Just ignore it, on the basis L1 is supplied with the XO module, if we go the Tent Labs route.

Andy - use 1K3, the LED drops to about 1.95V when the things running and up to temp inside a CD player (the XO is specced to 5.5V anyway)

5 sig figs on something that drifts -2mV/degC, tut tut... though I guess that means your garage is bloody cold ;)

5 sig figs on something that drifts -2mV/degC, tut tut... though I guess that means your garage is bloody cold

Tee hee - yes, I know that was a little silly (and yes, it's bloody cold) ;)

Interestingly though, on a 9hr run overnight, there's an interesting graph produced, it looks almost as if the initial drift is self-heating, followed by a remarkably stable output, which is going to be fairly representative of the environment it will be in, once it's thermally equalized.

Andy.

For anyone who wants to fiddle, the updated BOM, in .xls format is here.

Looks like a total cost of around £48 max for all parts and PCB. The reality is if we group together a bit, we can knock a couple of pounds from that - an AD797, for example, drops from £7 to closer to £5 for only a 25off qty. If you get them free, it's £7 less ;)

We may be able to secure a deal on the Tent XO too, certainly the Euro price, even when VAT is added is cheaper than the UK distributors, not including carriage.

I reckon it's a good result in the VFM stakes.

Andy.

advertisement

Back