advertisement

Best CD clock upgrade?

I've virtually finished this now, spent a bit of time reducing the number of drill too changes (which reduces cost marginally) and have got it down to just three sizes: -

0.8mm for all leaded components except the TO220 (1mm), 1mm for all the veropins and 3.2mm for the mounting holes.

Can someone confirm the clock leads are <0.8mm dia (i.e. resistor leg sized, or smaller)?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Everyone,

Drill changes now down to just three...

The gerbers are now located here, this will download a zip file, containing a Readme.txt file listing the archive contents.

If anyone downloads GC Prevue there's a compiled file (.gwk) in the archive which will preview the Gerbers for you, GC Prevue takes a little getting used to, but is pretty good otherwise - individual layers can be hidden to show others.

It's worth just making sure there's nothing obviously stupid in there, but I don't think there is - I've added some text in the bottom copper layer with the forum URL - it will look mirrored, as you'r viewing the layers from the top.

To get a quote from a PCB company, edit the Readme file to add your contact details at the bottom (I suggest an email, and address and a phone no.), zip it back up and email it to them as requested. I'll do this for my usual guys (www.minnitron.com), maybe we should add a post here with details of who we tender it to, so we don't duplicate.

The only files needed for manufacture are the Readme (as it details the board construction) .gbr files and the .drl files, but many PCB houses will find the other files useful.

BTW, if anyone does look at it, I decided not to put a silkscreen on the bottom layer, showing component Id's, since there's so few. The components are referenced on the top silk though.

Readme.txt pasted below...

Archive Details:

PCB Name: XO Clock Rev.2

PCB Details: 1.6mm FR4, 1oz Cu (finished), PTH, HASL

PCB Dimensions: 58mm x 33mm nom.

Layer Details: 2 copper, 2 soldermask, 1 silkscreen

Archive Contents: XO Clock - Dimensions.gbr - Board Dimensions
XO Clock - Top Silk.gbr - Top Silk
XO Clock - Top Copper - Top Copper
XO Clock - Top Copper (Resist).gbr - Top Solder Mask
XO Clock - Bottom Copper.gbr - Bottom Copper
XO Clock - Bottom Copper (Resist).gbr - Bottom Solder Mask
XO Clock - Drill Data.drl - NC Drill Data
XO_Clock.gwk - GC Prevue file for Inspection
Readme.txt - This File

Contact Details: <Insert your details here>

Folks,

As you're aware, I have offered to organise the purchase, manufacture and distribution of the Pink Flea Modulator designed and implemented by Martin and Andy.

I'm afraid to say that much to my chagrin, recent cashflow problems (ie, all flowing out, not in) prevent me from funding the initial outlay for these boards.

There's a couple of ways we can work from here. One option is for someone else to step up and offer to take over the whole caboodle instead of me; I hope it doesn't have to happen that way, I don't want to let people down.

Another way is for people to pay up-front (I know this raises trust issues, but quite a few people know who I am and where I live [Andy, LesW, Nickcase, Captain, Linnik], so I hope that trust isn't too much of an issue). I can setup an online order form (being a computer geek has it's benefits) to automate the process of billing, payment, delivery etc.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Apologies to all involved for the pain-in-the-ass inconvenience.

Carl

I wouldn't worry about it Carl.

I stand by my post above on stocking a bundle of boards, so let's see what Minicor etc. say on costs - I was expecting to fork out upfront anyway ;)

Carl,

I'm happy to pay up front.

Will someone provide a parts list with sources for components?

Carl,

I'm sure everyone will understand, but let's not worry about that at present.

Lets get some quotations, compare them and then work out what it will cost. I'm currently asking (in light of Martin's request for 100pcs) for 100, 150 and 200 off pricing.

I suggest as mentioned earlier that everyone posts to this thread with details of the company they've asked for quotes, or maybe a better idea is to post suggestions (as has happened previously in the thread) with reccomendations to try with a few nominated people to ask for quotes.

A simple email is all it usually takes to get a quote, we also need to check payment options too, especially for the offshore suggestions.

Andy.

Ok, great. If people have suggestions, post 'em here. I'll contact them all and once we've got 5 or 6 quotes we can decide on the best one and take it from there.

In the meantime, I'll knock up an ordering system :)

Carl

Carl/Andy/Martin shouldn't we enquire about a bulk buy of the Tent XO (if the last 5 pages ive read I understand - Ive been away, you guys work fast)

I realise there may be different frequencies but I'd bet 11.xx mhz and 16.xx are very popular?

Carl/Andy/Martin shouldn't we enquire about a bulk buy of the Tent XO

Yes, that's a good idea, we'll have to gather a total for each frequency - that's where Carl could come in handy, an online means of logging this would be great.

At the very least we can save some postage.

I've noticed BTW that there's no + identification on the electrolytic caps - let me correct that before sending the Gerbers to anyone. If anyone notices any other sillies, let me know.

Andy.

Ok folks, I've created a wee web-based system so that you can express your interest for boards. You can fill in the the form and your details will be recorded in a database that automates the invoicing process.

In the coming days/weeks, I'll get the system to generate invoices (to be sent out by email) and once most of the payments have been received, we can start getting some boards ordered.

Payment by PayPal is preferred, although I've added options for cheque/PO and cash (by registered post please!). Of course, no costs have been added yet and postage costs haven't been finalised... this is a work in progess and will be updated continually. More instructions are on the web page:

Pink Fish XO clock PSU page

Cheers,
Carl

Dan,

I'll look at the Valpey Fisher website later, but do you have access to a phase noise plot for the Valpey-Fisher units?

Most of these 'low jitter' modules are aimed at communications work and the phae noise / jitter is often only specced above 1kHz, we're interested in much lower frequency than that*.

To that end I'd be nervous about whether they are actually lower jitter than Guido's, in a way that matters for this application.

Andy.

* Edit: just checked the data sheets and jitter is specced >1kHz - try asking them for a phase noise plot, for starters and any specs for jitter at LF.

Andy,

I'll contact VP for a plot - hopefully they'll have one.

An alternative: if someone here has suitable equipment, we could request a sample and do our own comparisons with a Tent clock.

Dan

Andrew L Weekes said:
One of the reasons I need a few of these boards, is I want to build a phase noise measurement system (although I need to use Guido's VCXO module for that).

Might take a while though, the background is here: -

http://www.wenzel.com/documents/measuringphasenoise.htm

Andy.

Andy,

in a dull moment at work, I've taken a look at those Valpey Fisher specs. They essentially told me nothing about the types of info I'd need for design of a Frequency Reference. So, I'd reiterate your caution.

Try FEI and Wenzel for good low Phase Noise oscillators. I've used those at work before. Very good. Very expensive. Very reliable. Also pretty immune to vibe, which is rare.

Good luck with PN meter. A bugger of a thing to design. Most of the time you end up measuring the phase noise meter's phase noise.

Martin,

Thanks for your input, I did find some good-looking oscillators on Mouser a while back, I need to check what they were, IIRC some were spec'd below 1kHz.

Carl,

Nice work on the site!

Everyone,

I've got prices on the boards from my supplier, these are the raw costs to me (including VAT etc.), with no profit or handling - the only factors that would need to be added, when considering the final costs to individuals are packaging materials and postage, which won't be too much and I think that Carl, or whoever does the final packaging should have something for their efforts - keeping track and packaging lots of little orders isn't necessarily a bag o' fun :)

RichardH or myself can help out with small Jiffy bags, I've a few hundred in stock here, I have a feeling Richard has some too ;)

100off price is 2.38GBP

150off price is 1.71GBP

200off price is 1.41GBP

All the above are based on a guess of 15GBP shipping charge from board manufacturer, probably less in reality - I need to ask, but the effect on the final price is minimal.

Andy.

advertisement

Back