advertisement

Best advice you ever got/ never got in your long hifi career.

'Thinks..... Don't know if this is a subtle joke or herb is serious'
Serious, now having settled down with a less flat earth system with a bit more bass I have tuned my room. The suspended wooden floor needed painted concrete pavement slabs and carpets/rugs selected carefully, Walls are bare and furniture minimal. Spikes everywhere but no special room tuning equipment. I have noted that at dealers their demos are very cluttered and deliberately domesticated. My dedicated room is otherwise.

Make sure you have contents insurance in case a couple of scrotes break into your house and steal everything.

I set up my flat earth system in 7 different rented flats.
Would that be ground floor flats then? :D
Don't have a dedicated listening room; put music where the Living is, and encourage participation.
I used to do a lot of 'babysitting' whilst wife was out gallivanting. Always had a good session with lights off those evenings but sure enough, one or both of my girls would quietly open the door at some juncture and start dancing (quite a big living room). Off to bed again when the record stopped, though.

"the most important thing is to never loose your sense of humour boy"
Advice to my 16 year old self by a bloke in his 80's (I think) while I was serving him as a wine waiter on a day that hadn't gone so well.
Ok, not audio, but can certainly apply to forums.

If you are caring for your own children, I believe it is called ’being a parent,’ rather than babysitting.
Not in my situation, Tabs. 'Babysitting' may be a misnomer as I was really pre and early teen sitting but every time they disrupted my listening session, I disowned them immediately, absolving me of parental control. A brief respite though. :D

Ahh, but what about 'God is in the Details' (also architecture by Mies van der Rohe).
Ahh; in my book, simple doesn’t mean ‘excluding detail’.
Mies Van der Rhoe was a wonderful Architect! His 1929 Pavilion house on Montjuic, Barcelona is undoubtedly my favourite building.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "It seems expensive now but as your salary goes up over time you will start to think that it was actually quite reasonable. You will enjoy it immensely for many, many years and it will retain it's value pretty well, so don't worry - buy it and enjoy".

Pick one format and do it right.

Do your homework but go test your hypothesis yourself. In your listening space.

Try not to fall into completely objective / subjective camps, try things out, it's part of the fun.

Don't settle for a partner that bemoans your hobby - but within reason. Spite and tyranny is different to someone that loves you and shares concern when you're going mental. Fair is fair.

I actually took some advice I've picked up on from regretful people over the years to the effect of:

I wish i hadn't sold my (insert kit here) when i had kids

My son was very active and a bit nuts when younger, i feared of damage to either himself or my stereo, so i built a protective barrier for it when he was particularly kinetically inclined and so glad I did. The barrier is surplus to requirements now and I don't have the regrets of panic selling things.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "It seems expensive now but as your salary goes up over time you will start to think that it was actually quite reasonable. You will enjoy it immensely for many, many years and it will retain it's value pretty well, so don't worry - buy it and enjoy".
Long after the price is forgotten the quality remains. Amen.

simple doesn’t mean ‘excluding detail’.
Mies Van der Rhoe was a wonderful Architect! His 1929 Pavilion house on Montjuic, Barcelona is undoubtedly my favourite building.
Very true. That is a special building and good example . The reconstruction with different detail would be another discussion, but too off topic.

The best bit of advice I have ever received on this forum was to ditch my fading windows desk top and replace it with a MacBook Pro. That must have been over twenty years ago and I have never received better advice.

The second best bit of advice I was given was to buy a streamer, it opens a whole new world of music and it's plain daft not to at least give it a try or blag a visit to a mates house to see what it can do.

advertisement

Back