advertisement

Beer at home

IIRC correctly most Tetleys is now brewed under licence by Marstons in Wolverhampton.

I used to drink at a pub very close to where Tetleys was in Leeds (hunslet?) in the 1980s
If brewed in Wolves that will be Banks's who own Marstons who are based in Burton...

2hglG8x.jpg
I love Thornbridge’s Jaipur. Lovely ale. Often have it on draught in the excellent boozer connected to the railway station in Sheffield.

Reactions: Cav
Great thread! Since Aldi have started stocking it, I’m mostly drinking ‘Proper Job’. I bloody love it. St Austell are an excellent brewery (they also make Tribute), far better than Sharps who are absolutely rubbish nowadays (Doom Bar).

Lidl have stocked it for a long time.

Picked up some of the old favourite Adnams Southwold Bitter in Waitrose yesterday. Fabulous stuff, it’s getting to the time of year to drink slightly darker beers (Broadside in the depths of winter).

getting to the time of year to drink slightly darker beers

I used to think like that, but I realised it was a bit like thinking the only wine to accompany fish is white, and you should never chill a red wine.

Plenty of cask darker beers served chilled. I had a great sour porter over the summer.

If you've never been the brewery tour at Adnams is great.

Picked up a few bottles of Betty Stoggs yesterday. Probably the last I'll see as Skinners have folded.

Picked up some of the old favourite Adnams Southwold Bitter in Waitrose yesterday. Fabulous stuff, it’s getting to the time of year to drink slightly darker beers (Broadside in the depths of winter).

Broadly agree with darker beers in colder months but also agree with not being constrained in choice.

I really rate Adnams beer and am lucky enough to have a local that serves a very good pint of Southwold Bitter. According to one beer ‘expert’ I know, one of the best kept draught pints of Adnams outside Southwold.

Shepherd Neame mentioned up thread produce consistently excellent beer; Bishops Finger is one of my favourites.

Saturday lunchtime and it’s a bottle of Hobgoblin, a good standby when the weather turns chilly.

Last edited:
Broadly agree with darker beers in colder months but also agree with not being constrained in choice.

I really rate Adams beer and am lucky enough to have a local that serves a very good pint of Southwold Bitter. According to one beer ‘expert’ I know, one of the best kept draught pints of Adnams outside Southwold.

Shepherd Neame mentioned up thread produce consistently excellent beer; Bishops Finger is one of my favourites.

Saturday lunchtime and it’s a bottle of Hobgoblin, a good standby when the weather turns chilly.
Glad to see agreement about Shepherd Neame. I find Bishops Finger not as tasty as Spitfire. I prefer cask...if possible.. otherwise bottle conditioned. Spitfire was bottle conditioned in past.
Bring it back SN! Please please. PLEASE.

Glad to see agreement about Shepherd Neame. I find Bishops Finger not as tasty as Spitfire. I prefer cask...if possible.. otherwise bottle conditioned. Spitfire was bottle conditioned in past.
Bring it back SN! Please please. PLEASE.
I used to live in Faversham and consequently drank a lot of Shepherd Neame beer. I found their draught beers to universally OK and all very drinkable, but their premium bottled beers (1698, IPA etc) to be excellent. They also brew Samuel Adams under licence, which is a very good pint.

Some years ago went on an afternoon brewery tour at Shepherd Name with some work pals on a rest day (railway day off). Some of us met up in London, had a beer then got the train to Faversham where we had lunch and more beer before repairing to the brewery. Arriving early we visited their bar for more beer and about 10 minutes before time the guide arrived at the bar, shouting at us and the barman for drinking/serving beer before the tour. She was beside herself with rage and we struggled not to laugh, if she'd known how many beers had already been drunk she'd probably have called security! She said anyone disappearing for the loo during the tour would be chucked out. Well, only one did and he got away with it, at the end we re-assembled in the bar and I visited the loo, the tour over. Didn't stop her having another rant on my return. Good day out though.

I really rate Adnams beer and am lucky enough to have a local that serves a very good pint of Southwold Bitter. According to one beer ‘expert’ I know, one of the best kept draught pints of Adnams outside Southwold.

I’m on my second Southwold bitter, delicious. Whenever I see it on draft, it’s a no brainer. Used to have it on in one of my old City haunts (George and Vulture), happy days.

advertisement

Back