advertisement

BBMF Spitfire crash

Tuga, I'm happy that some people have to put up with occasional temporary noise for the pleasure of others because to take the line to it's ultimate conclusion you'd have nothing ever happen in case one person was upset by it.

It's like they / them pronouns, most people couldn't give a rats ass about people's preferred gender, but we use them because it's barely an inconvenience, and makes the world a better place.

I don't ming the occasional event in an airfield but just today we had 3 different idiots flying around in their propeller planes. That I find abusive, particularly when Oxford is surrounded by a reasonably large extense of fields.

You could argue that these display aircraft, which fly very infrequently to keep their hours down, and give pleasure to many are a far lesser nuisance and polluter than a 737 flying to Benidorm so that a hundred tourists can have a booze up holiday. I used to live in Slough under Heathrow traffic.

I hope there’s 10 idiots next weekend. And I hope they have to train for landing at sunset with the throttle stuck wide open, as well as all the usual rubbish that you have to train for near to your home airfield just in case there’s an emergency.

Move house!

And I can say that safe in the knowledge that you are unlikely to move to my village, what with everyone here knowing there’s an active army flying station a mile away. Because only another idiot would ever move here!

I hope there’s 10 idiots next weekend. And I hope they have to train for landing at sunset with the throttle stuck wide open, as well as all the usual rubbish that you have to train for near to your home airfield just in case there’s an emergency.

Move house!

And I can say that safe in the knowledge that you are unlikely to move to my village, what with everyone here knowing there’s an active army flying station a mile away. Because only another idiot would ever move here!
Perhaps I'll complain about the noise from the 2 or 3 trains an hour that trundle through the cutting at the bottom of the garden. I've been here 9 years, the house 35, and the railway predates either. I'll complain anyway. Not about the noise from the one that I catch to get home after a few pints in Leeds, or the one I took to and from the airport last week, obviously. Just the others. In fact I've just heard one now.It's beyond the pale.

There's a fellow who lives near Southend Airport who is currently kicking off because a Vulcan that resides there is run up once a year. He's not one of the couple of miserable buggers posting to this thread by chance?

I was tending to my mother's garden yesterday afternoon to a backdrop of a new engine that has just been fitted to 'Drag em oot' being run up and tested. The engine was flown in from the US last week to enable her to take part in the parachute drop over Normandy next week. We've been treated to the sight (and sound) of up to 4 C47s flying in close formation for the past few days, and the numbers will increase as more aircraft arrive from the States in the coming week. In addition a twin-seater Spitfire has continued to run flights down to the Thames estuary and Kent throughout the weekend, which was quite emotional given the backdrop of the accident.

I relish every moment of it, and consider myself to be extremely fortunate to live in close proximity to an airfield flying several iconic historic aircraft. Long may these marvellous machines continue to fly.

The majority of Spitfires were fitted with Merlin's. Albeit in the later marks highly developed versions. The original Merlin produced 1000hp. Final versions in the Spitfire 1800hp. 2000hp was achieved in the version used in the Westland Whirlwind. All of this on the original 27 litre block.

About 2000 (957 of them Mk XIV) Spitfires were built with Griffon engines out of 20,000. The Griffon with it's 37litre block was mainly used in a small number later Spitfire marks and weren't really used so much in wartime service. The Merlin and Griffon versions were built simultaneously.

By the time the Griffon engines were being developed it was clear that the Spitfire development was coming to an end.

The Griffon was only retired from frontline service when the RAF retired the Shackleton AEW.2 in 1991. Used to love the sound of the Shacks, the propellor pitch was set for landing on the Lossiemouth circuit as they passed over our farm, a glorious sound.

Be that as it may, there were over 100,000 merlins of various marks and versions built by RR in the UK and over 50,000 made in the US under license. Where it was decided to call a halt to new merlin versions and call the engine a griffon is/was probably pretty arbitary.

Legend has it that the engines in the BBMF planes are all griffons.

Griffon is a different engine to Merlin. Merlin is 27 Litres, I believe Griffon is 36 litres. Whether it's the same block, bored/stroked out I don't know though. But later marks of Spit definitely came out of the factory with Griffons. I suspect the block is different, because the cowlings are different.

Griffon is a different engine to Merlin. Merlin is 27 Litres, I believe Griffon is 36 litres.

Now take a look at the spec's for all RR Trent engines........................................... Indeed, take a look at the spec's for all the merlin variants.

What's in a name?

Griffon is a different engine to Merlin. Merlin is 27 Litres, I believe Griffon is 36 litres. Whether it's the same block, bored/stroked out I don't know though. But later marks of Spit definitely came out of the factory with Griffons. I suspect the block is different, because the cowlings are different.

The prop on an aircraft fitted with a Griffon engine turns in the other direction as well - it didn't use reduction gears like the Merlin.

Not sure how accurate this is (because Reddit) but it suggests the two engines were developed separately.

One thing I do know is that the Griffin engine ran in the opposite direction to the Merlin which was - I think - one of the reasons put forward for the Test Pilot at Short Bros (the late Alan Deacon,ETPS) grounding a prop on power-up in a late model Spitfire at an air display in Norn Iron some years back.

edit - sorry, Seeker beat me to it on the engine rotation there :)

Not sure how accurate this is (because Reddit) but it suggests the two engines were developed separately.

So, the suggestion is that the dev' engineers and designers at RR completely ignored one of, if not the, most successful aero engines of all time, in developing another one that would be built alongside the merlin?

An interesting thought..................................... even if completely implausible.

Now take a look at the spec's for all RR Trent engines........................................... Indeed, take a look at the spec's for all the merlin variants.

What's in a name?
Where it was decided to call a halt to new merlin versions and call the engine a griffon is/was probably pretty arbitary.
Eh?
The Griffon is a different engine from the Merlin.
The Merlin was a clean sheet of paper, compact design. The Griffin was a development of the pre-war Buzzard R. Apart from both being liquid-cooled 12-cylinder upright Vs and both being build by Rolls-Royce, they were different in most ways you can think of. Different size, different block, different bore and stroke, etc.

Eh?
The Griffon is a different engine from the Merlin.
The Merlin was a clean sheet of paper, compact design. The Griffin was a development of the pre-war Buzzard R. Apart from both being liquid-cooled 12-cylinder upright Vs and both being build by Rolls-Royce, they were different in most ways you can think of. Different size, different block, different bore and stroke, etc.

And this is exactly where it becomes glaringly obvious who have never worked in manufacturing industry or R&D.......................................
Invent once, use many. You build upon established knowledge and data.

The new RR engine, currently called UltraFan, was built based on knowledge gained from the Advance 3, which was built upon knowledge gained through the various Trent Engines from the 700 to the XWB, which were built upon knowledge gained through the progression of Trents and from the RB211 (which was what bust RR, before they were taken into public ownership) - all Trent engines actually have an RB designation within RR (RB - Rootes Barnoldswick - pronounced Barlick and originally a Rootes (a car company) plant).

It matters not what size, what colour, or anything else, what the griffon and merlin are, the griffon will have used stacks of experience/data/etc. across the board, from the merlin.

advertisement

Back