advertisement

BBC - the "last straw".

Watched the Last Night. Perhaps lacked a bit of atmosphere but nothing wrong with the performances. A good selection of music, Golda Schultz was excellent.

I thought the whole series was great, the cello & piano stuff from the Kanneh-Masons on Thursday was just stunning, definitely find it on iPlayer if missed. I wish we had done a proper Proms thread here this year as usual as whilst reduced and obviously very different there was some truly great stuff. The Beethoven 7 dissection by the Aurora Orchestra was superb too, but the Kanneh-Masons was just wonderful, his sister on piano being every bit the star he is. Staggering talent. I watched the first part of Last Night, but as ever bailed-out before the jingoistic stuff. Golda Schultz singing the Richard Strauss was really good.

Watched the Last Night. Perhaps lacked a bit of atmosphere but nothing wrong with the performances. A good selection of music, Golda Schultz was excellent.
I agree about the lack of atmosphere, but that was more than compensated for by the complete lack of jingoistic bollocks. Even Rule Britannia, and LOHAG could be enjoyed simply as musical performances, rather than some cod-nationalistic pantomime performance.

You should have stayed for it, Tony, IMHO it was the best Last Night for years.

FFS Lineker on 1.7 million, Zoe Ball on 1.3, Steve Shite on 500k and moribund Bruce on 400k.

Most of their political and current affairs experts are on about 250k which seems excessive too.

I agree about the lack of atmosphere, but that was more than compensated for by the complete lack of jingoistic bollocks. Even Rule Britannia, and LOHAG could be enjoyed simply as musical performances, rather than some cod-nationalistic pantomime performance.

You should have stayed for it, Tony, IMHO it was the best Last Night for years.
I treat the final leg of Last Night as a bit of light hearted Panto. It is a festival concluding concert, so some deviation from normal convention is really fine. It’s interesting now that it’s been turned into a red line by the likes of Farage with Johnson cashing in on the Panto outrage.

I’d put a wage ceiling of whatever the PMs salary is at the time. If the so called stars and experts don’t like it they can feck off to the commercial channels. Steve Shite has been pedalling the same banalities for forty years and bland Bruce is the exemplar par excellence for compulsory retirement at national pension age.

Need to be more radical. Scrap ‘em all and bring in some new talent and kick start the economy. The BBC is publicly funded so does not need big names and should be developing and nurturing talent not paying millions for a few hours work to people that already have it. Since hitting 50 I am definitely less tolerant than I was and now question why I pay the license fee since clearly I am no longer the BBCs target audience.

rant over.

A mate of mine tells me not to get hung up on the numbers the beeb discloses as many celebs have production companies and that’s where the real money goes, only those are not disclosed so the real earnings are hidden.

There seem to be a lot of people on here regularly listening to radio stations and presenters they can’t stand!
Steve Shite (?), Bland Bruce (?), Zoe Ball, Sara Cox are all unknown to me.
I have never listened to any of them.
Last time I listened to Radio 1 was in the days of that Liverpool bloke who discovered the Undertones.
I have never listened to Radio 2.

I quite like Steve and Ken (I’ve tried getting help but it’s futile), agree they are all Vastly overpaid though !!! It’s sheer lunacy when you think about it. Unbelievable!

Marr gives Jonathan Ashworth a hard time over photo of Corbyn at private dinner party calling it “egregious”

In a friendly unchallenging interview with Johnson, the photo of Johnson’s father without a mask in a public place is not even mentioned

BBC news is not fit for purpose

Marr is an irrelevance, his programme is dire, it is more poor historical analysis than news. Turn it off, drink some coffee and chill.

I never watch any of that shite, or Question Time. What's the point? You know what you'll get, every single time. Mouthy people interrupting each other, generating plenty of heat but no light.

advertisement

Back