advertisement

Bathroom fitting costs

I have only ever paid one tradesman to do anything - plastering - about 3 years ago and that came to about £100-120 for a whole kitchen, including a new ceiling (boards over the old one, then plastered).

Jeez I am ever glad that that is so.......................

I have only ever paid one tradesman to do anything - plastering - about 3 years ago and that came to about £100-120 for a whole kitchen, including a new ceiling (boards over the old one, then plastered).

Jeez I am ever glad that that is so.......................

£120 including plasterboard, where are you 1970?

I would have chased him.

I had my bathroom completely refitted last year. For the work you want I'd have thought £2k inc VAT based on what mine cost (I'm in Surrey so I'd expect costs to be similar) so £1800 is competitive.

£120 including plasterboard, where are you 1970?

I would have chased him.

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

It may have been higher, but under £200, and only 3-4 years ago. Obviously cash-in-hand.
It was done in two goes as I could not live long enough without a kitchen and having to move the electrics and gas. The second bash was 3 walls, with two large windows and two doors, so lots of faff - the guys who did it called in after normal work, on their way home - it took no time at all and it was well under £100.

Before you ask, one neighbour and one friend had some plastering done around the same time, and the work here is way better than either of their jobs - blemish-free so far as I can see (and I have painted it, long ago, so got up close).

This looks like 3 long, but not rushed, days' work, so, £30/hour(???), that gives around £800, plus materials. The only tricky bit might be connecting to the cast pipe, otherwise simple enough. But then I don't have to make a living at it.

How can you make money at those prices it's impossible? You got lucky, very lucky.

I had a front room done two years ago, the guy was here three days, typical 1930s bungalow, one wall bonded and skimmed and the ceiling and three walls skimmed @ £650 if your guys had given me a price they would have been told to bolt cause you can't do a proper job at that price regardless of what you appear to think and obviously they weren't paying tax and probably stealing the stuff off the job they were on, a sheet of gyroc is about £8 plus vat and a bag of finish/bonding about the same.

I've done the home DIY stuff for many years, plumbing, electrics, plastering, tiling, carpentry and I am finished with it all these days. Far prefer to pay someone else now and let them take the strain leaving me to relax and do fun stuff.

I've done the home DIY stuff for many years, plumbing, electrics, plastering, tiling, carpentry and I am finished with it all these days. Far prefer to pay someone else now and let them take the strain leaving me to relax and do fun stuff.

me too, but these days my knees are such that I cannot kneel down for very long. I will still do all the woodwork which is what I enjoy.

Twotone - mine is a small kitchen-diner in a 1950's bungalow and I know good plastering when I see it and these were good, very good. The ceiling and two walls took about 5 hours or so, the second bash, less than two hours for two of them and I did not say anything about materials - they actually went and bought the boards and plaster after they arrived to PVA the walls, and all joints and cracks in the walls were scrimmed.
The neighbour bought a dilapidated pub and has done that up in stages and has had at least 2 plasterers in - ceilings have those little curly C's in them if you look hard (or not so hard), as does the friend's ceiling.
How much plaster/multi-finish do you reckon it took? I very much doubt it was more than 3 bags, if it was more it was only one more - it goes on appreciably less than 3mm thick. Plasterboard around here is £4-6 per sheet - I can't remember how many sheets it took but probably 4 or 5, so £25-30 or so for the board. Thistle is £6 a bag. Plus steel edging around windows and doors.

I have no idea why your crew used a bonding coat beyond enabling them to charge for it.

The difference lies in the tradesmen - I used self-employed guys who travel all over on new-builds (not that they are plastered these days!!) and big projects - they work FAST, and if they aren't good and fast, they don't get work. I also said that it was cash-in-hand.

So 14 labour hours for £200 less about £40 for stuff?

Madness.

Anyway we'll leave it there, apologies to the OP for going off topic.

I’m in the SE and have just been quoted £1500 to supply and install a digital shower over a bath using existing pipe work, and with the need to find and run a power supply. So for £1800 for everything I’d get it booked in!!

I am not convinced you can quote for work, as a tradesman, unless you have actually seen what is involved. A description without physically seeing it is an estimate and not a quotation.
As regard labour daily rates a tradesman can be, around these parts nr. M25, anything from £200-250 per day plus materials.

Bloss

How much do they charge an hour? I hate quoting for bathrooms, in fact I hate doing bathrooms full stop. I tend to quote an hourly rate of £25 plus vat an hour and estimate how long I think it will take.

How much do they charge an hour? I hate quoting for bathrooms, in fact I hate doing bathrooms full stop. I tend to quote an hourly rate of £25 plus vat an hour and estimate how long I think it will take.

I suppose the first/only hour could be higher than £25, but generally that seems about right if of a longer duration.

Bloss

Yes Bloss you’re right . I can’t go round doing jobs for £25 a piece. Normally the minimum for that would be £45 but there really minor things for valued customers that’s hard to charge that much for. At the end of the day you need to be seen to provide some value for money.

As an aside - we have just finished planning a summer road trip of the NC500 plus detours to Orkney and Skye.......

I did that last August and was really lucky with the weather. Skye was beautiful as ever though overrun with GOT tourists in truth, bit of a shame.

I hope your plumber is not one of those Polish chaps making his last bit of cash before packing up and going home ?

I hope your plumber is not one of those Polish chaps making his last bit of cash before packing up and going home ?

Why? To be blunt I do not care where my plumber comes from, so long as they do a good job, and they aren't ripping me off, and I am not ripping them off, then who cares?

Why does it matter what a tradesman does with their money after I have paid. Their nationality doesn't come into it.

GOT tourists in truth, bit of a shame.

I have no idea what GOT is, but a bit of Googling suggests it might be "Game of Thrones". I'd have thought that was a double edged sword really, the tourists provide the income to help businesses thrive and survive?

That attitude is so last century.
Perhaps you could enquire his views on Brexit and enlighten us here ?

That attitude is so last century.
Perhaps you could enquire his views on Brexit and enlighten us here ?

are you suggesting I should discriminate against trades people by virtue of their nationality? rather than their ability to do the job and/or how much they charge?

advertisement

Back