advertisement

Bathroom fitting costs

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
What would you consider to be a reasonable quote for the following work in a small bathroom:

1) remove toilet and old cistern
2) remove basin and old taps etc
3) install new toilet - including new waste and new plastic soil stack connection (so some outdoor work) to cast iron soil stack, also removing the old cast iron connector.
4) install new basin and taps - connecting to existing waste
5) remove bath panel, remove taps and fit new taps
6) remove old floor and fit new floor.

We already have all the items, apart from sundry connectors etc.

The plumber is well regarded and comes highly recommended.....

What do you think would be a reasonable quote.........?

What would you consider to be a reasonable quote for the following work in a small bathroom:

1) remove toilet and old cistern
2) remove basin and old taps etc
3) install new toilet - including new waste and new plastic soil stack connection (so some outdoor work) to cast iron soil stack, also removing the old cast iron connector.
4) install new basin and taps - connecting to existing waste
5) remove bath panel, remove taps and fit new taps
6) remove old floor and fit new floor.

We already have all the items, apart from sundry connectors etc.

The plumber is well regarded and comes highly recommended.....

What do you think would be a reasonable quote.........?

Has plumber seen your gin collection yet or not ?

Assuming that's two days work mine (one man band, no assistant) would charge around £600 plus materials/sundry connectors etc.

interesting - it is two people most of the time and then someone else to do the flooring. I am checking with him, but I think he is quoting three days.

oh and if it makes a difference we are in Herts, just outside the M25.

I'm in Orkney, and rate my plumber/heating engineer as relatively good value locally.
ime trades in that London & S.E. cost a lot more than here.

Doesn't matter what size the bathroom is it's not relevant unless the pipe-work is all being replaced.

For one and two I'd be looking at about £120 if the job was relatively close and more if I had to travel but I wouldn't travel any more than a half hour each way which would incur travel costs per day of about another £60.

Three is a difficult one cause working with CI is pretty difficult so couldn't give a ball park for this work well certainly not the CI work without seeing it and same for the toilet would need more info ie is it a back to the wall pan and concealed cistern or is it a close coupled set and being replaced like for like but without the CI work and presuming it's a new like for like replacement close coupled set then about £200 max

Same for four but if just a like for like replacement then maybe two hours plus materials so say another £140.

Five again might be difficult re access to the taps and the age of the existing bath but let's say it's a modern PVC bath with good access so another £80.

Don't do floors so couldn't even guess a price and again what size is the floor and what's being used to replace the existing one?

So excluding the CI work and the flooring and taking into consideration the assumptions above then about £550 plus travel if required.

ok thanks and very interesting. No pipe work being replaced, just the CI and it is a back to the wall pan, close coupled. Access is tight to the bath which is an enamelled steel bath.

Travel is about 20 mins each way, perhaps up to 30 mins.

Interestinly, I have asked several colleagues here who have had recent bathroom work done and they all think the quote I have received is ok, but inc vat is significantly higher than anyone is stating on here..... in fact my quote comes close ish to what is mentioned here - (inc the comments towards the bottom) https://householdquotes.co.uk/cost-of-installing-a-bathroom-suite/

ok thanks and very interesting. No pipe work being replaced, just the CI and it is a back to the wall pan, close coupled. Access is tight to the bath which is an enamelled steel bath.

Travel is about 20 mins each way, perhaps up to 30 mins.

Interestinly, I have asked several colleagues here who have had recent bathroom work done and they all think the quote I have received is ok, but inc vat is significantly higher than anyone is stating on here..... in fact my quote comes close ish to what is mentioned here - (inc the comments towards the bottom) https://householdquotes.co.uk/cost-of-installing-a-bathroom-suite/

It's a bit of a how long is piece of string thing mate but poor access to the bath taps (how old is the bath?) back to the wall pan and the travel would make me want to charge about double what I quoted above, the CI could cost you as CI fittings are expensive ie a timesaver branch and three couplings will set you back about £150 plus fitting the branch maybe four hours labour minimum depending if the work is low level, way too many variables without seeing it but add on another £400 labour to cover yourself for the CI and as you can see the costs can rise quite quickly.

Personally I would replace the bath, enamel baths are shit mate, they suck the heat out of your hot water, they chip really easily and if it's old then I would definitely replace it with a really good quality 8mm or 10mm PVC bath, I fitted one for a guy about five years ago and he was a dedicated 'has to be CI or enamel' man and he was big at over six foot and quite heavy but he was delighted with the bath which was ten times better than an enamelled one, think from memory it cost about £600 without a panel but with a waste and no taps.

A decent CI bath will cost about the same BTW.

Tony

These prices are extremely low for the SouthEast. I am Herts as well and would suggest you would be getting quotes in the £2-3k range

These prices are extremely low for the SouthEast. I am Herts as well and would suggest you would be getting quotes in the £2-3k range

I've just finished a bathroom conversion to a shower room and plumbing only inc bits and pieces for old bathroom out new shower base (not enclosure), new vanity basin and to alter external waste for same and new WC set replacing like for like old close coupled toilet and altering some pipe-work-£480.

I've no idea what the builder charged to supply the sanitary ware, shower base and enclosure plus fitting it and tiling etc but I'm guessing maybe £1500, I do know that the shower base and enclosure was £300 from B&Q, vanity basin and unit probably about £100 from the same, basin taps and bog £80-ish from screwfix and tiles maybe £200-ish

He did a really nice job too.

That' the kinda scary amount I was expecting G&T to have been quoted.

I had a bathroom fitted last year but it was the full monty including plumbing, full electrics, walls and ceiling replastered, tiling with small tiles on the walls and ceramic wood planked floor. The fitting cost with sundries was over 4.5k

they suck the heat out of your hot water
We only use the shower. It is in very good condition, no chips and I see replacing the bath as unnecessary waste and expense.

ok the big reveal........................... I have been quoted £1800 inc vat. and inc. removing the waste. My colleagues think that is a good price. The plumber is in demand and he comes highly recommended from my wife's boss (in fact the boss has just asked him to return to quote for their second bathroom)

the three random colleagues I have asked here - think that is a reasonable price, one who lives in Uxbridge thinks that is cheap compared to what he paid last year.

I am not interested in cheap or getting the bearest minimum out of trades people, but I am interested in a fair price for the work, without getting ripped off.

My initial reaction was that it felt expensive, but I am coming round to the fact that it is more on the high side. I appreciate that the work on the CI waste might be more tricky than something modern. I should have added, currently there is no means of shutting the water off to the toilet or to the bath, and I am asking him to remedy that. There are local stop cocks on the existing basin.

We only use the shower. It is in very good condition, no chips and I see replacing the bath as unnecessary waste and expense.

ok the big reveal........................... I have been quoted £1800 inc vat. and inc. removing the waste. My colleagues think that is a good price. The plumber is in demand and he comes highly recommended from my wife's boss (in fact the boss has just asked him to return to quote for their second bathroom)

the three random colleagues I have asked here - think that is a reasonable price, one who lives in Uxbridge thinks that is cheap compared to what he paid last year.

I am not interested in cheap or getting the bearest minimum out of trades people, but I am interested in a fair price for the work, without getting ripped off.

My initial reaction was that it felt expensive, but I am coming round to the fact that it is more on the high side. I appreciate that the work on the CI waste might be more tricky than something modern. I should have added, currently there is no means of shutting the water off to the toilet or to the bath, and I am asking him to remedy that. There are local stop cocks on the existing basin.

I am not surprised and think, like your colleagues that it is a good price. Not great, but fair and if you trust the tradesman, well worth it.

Personally think that's a very reasonable quote especially if the guy comes as highly recommended as you say.

I'd book him in ASAP if I were you.

Best of luck.

I am not surprised and think, like your colleagues that it is a good price. Not great, but fair and if you trust the tradesman, well worth it.

Personally think that's a very reasonable quote especially if the guy comes as highly recommended as you say.

I'd book him in ASAP if I were you.

Best of luck.

Thank you both, this has been very helpful - that is my inclination.

I'm in Orkney, and rate my plumber/heating engineer as relatively good value locally.
ime trades in that London & S.E. cost a lot more than here.

As an aside - we have just finished planning a summer road trip of the NC500 plus detours to Orkney and Skye.......

having had rather a lot of bathrooms done i am amazed at the prices quoted . i would allow a good week for all that work . old floors often have problems and pipeworrk etc . labour alone at least 700 pounds

just had a quote from a bathrom co in devon for a small bathroom refit and it was 5k inc materials [ not my house i add ]

As an aside - we have just finished planning a summer road trip of the NC500 plus detours to Orkney and Skye.......

Looks great up there, I keep clicking on bits of the website. Just had to change this weeks holiday destination from Cuba to hospital so might take an April road trip.

Bathrooms can be expensive, had ours redone by the insurance company but £1800 doesn't go far with a decent plumber. Mine crushed a drain washer so I finished the job.

advertisement

Back