advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Mentioned a while ago in this thread when it was at a higher price, if you didn't buy it then, why not now? Fela Kuti Complete Works box, 26 CDs plus a DVD, currently at £50.83:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BGKNMPS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This is an amazing set. I got the same music in 3 separate boxes at a slightly higher price.

Some of it is better than others as to be expected from a career spanning set. I can't imagine going thru' live not experiencing Fela's music.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Over 20 years since its first release, Rhino are reissuing on CD the 1993 remasters of Ornette Coleman's "Beauty Is A Rare Thing" box set. The set contains all the surviving Atalantic material of Ornette, (apparently quite a bit of material was lost in a fire at Atlantic in the 70s), and presents it Chronologically.

I missed out first time around, so I've preordered from Amazon at just over £40 (it was £75 when first issued in '93). It may possibly get cheaper.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Over 20 years since its first release, Rhino are reissuing on CD the 1993 remasters of Ornette Coleman's "Beauty Is A Rare Thing" box set. The set contains all the surviving Atalantic material of Ornette, (apparently quite a bit of material was lost in a fire at Atlantic in the 70s), and presents it Chronologically.

I missed out first time around, so I've preordered from Amazon at just over £40 (it was £75 when first issued in '93). It may possibly get cheaper.
Nice! I have the original but this is an essential purchase for anyone interested in modern jazz.

Now, when will someone reissue Miles Davis' complete Live at the Plugged Nickel (grrr!)?

Thanks for linking, Tony.

I have quite a bit of Ornette on vinyl, but I'm really looking forward to hearing how this material sounds chronologically - that aspect is important to me. A friend has an original box set and they sound superb.

The Complete Plugged Nickel is something I do have, and the band are simply on fire. Astonishing playing and long over due as a reissue.

I've very little Ornette on vinyl, but what I have is good, e.g. A US mono first press of Free Jazz and a US white label promo copy of On Tenor!

I bought a copy of it in LA about a decade ago. It is excellent.

Jack

Ornette Coleman Beauty Is A Rare Thing landed yesterday along with a £7 refund from the preorder price. It's superb stuff, fresh as ever. This really was groundbreaking music and beautifully recorded too - he and Don Cherry sound like they are honking freely away in the room with you. Hearing it all in sequential order is going to be very interesting. Recommended.

Apologies, now fixed. I'm still getting used to/learning how to fight cut, copy and paste on an iPad!

advertisement

Back