advertisement

Bang & Olufsen.

Well my beomaster 5000 turned up today along with a beogram cd6500 witch I brought to try with it.
So I set it up and used the pre out in to my musical fidelity f15's and Linn isobariks.
First impressions where very good. Very detailed found good at low levels when using the loudness button brought the bass out well.but had to turn off when turn it up the bass shock the windows.
After a good 2 or 3 test CDs I changed back to my musical fidelity f25 pre amp and Sony x77es cd player.
And it blow me away. I could tell the difference instantly. It was much more open and filled the room the separation was much better.
So looks like I will be staying with what I had in the main system.
I did really enjoy the beomaster I found the tuner very good and I'm going to try the cd6500 in the main set up see how it dose there.
So I think I will have a b&o set up in another room as it was a good detailed sound and ideal for low listing level with the loudness on.

Unfortunately had no opportunity to have a look at it as was called away overseas - but have been researching online but have found no reference to the 15V 10mA - what are they?????

Outputs to trigger relays? - for what??

Last edited:
Back in the UK briefly - just enough time to have a quick look and found that the 2 measuring points were reading 237 and 411mV:eek: - no wonder it was running hot - tweaked them roughly and got them to 12 and 15mV - much more sensible temperature now.

Have it running now perfectly through headphones - temperature is completely stable:)

No buzzing at the moment either:confused:o_O

That's good news.
I have just clean my beomaster 5000 up today and plugged it in to my heybrook hb2 speakers sounds really good to be honest set it up with my 6500 cd player.
Need to find a 5pin din extender for my beogram 4000 I just got back. That's one reason I put the beomaster back in the system.

Back in the UK briefly - just enough time to have a quick look and found that the 2 measuring points were reading 237 and 411mV:eek: - no wonder it was running hot - tweaked them roughly and got them to 12 and 15mV - much more sensible temperature now.

Have it running now perfectly through headphones - temperature is completely stable:)

No buzzing at the moment either:confused:o_O
Good :)
Beware though, that’s the sign of failing trimmers. It will happen again if you haven’t replaced them with new Pihers (bias/offset).

Beware though, that’s the sign of failing trimmers. It will happen again if you haven’t replaced them with new Pihers (bias/offset).

Yes - will be retired while I am away again and when I come back they will be replaced along with transformer bushes (they are crumbling).
Don't seem to be any relay problems.

That's good news.
I have just clean my beomaster 5000 up today and plugged it in to my heybrook hb2 speakers sounds really good to be honest set it up with my 6500 cd player.
Need to find a 5pin din extender for my beogram 4000 I just got back. That's one reason I put the beomaster back in the system.
If you get bored with the Beogram just let me know…

Not sure I will get bored of the beogram it's a lovely turntable.
Plays really well. Really enjoying bang and Olufsen at the moment.
I still regret selling mine almost 40 years ago… especially as I had a place to buy MMC cartridges for about £25

Seems like it was a good buy £70 with the commander - a bit scruffy on the metal on top but I'm sure I can do something about that.

Are the sockets on the rear marked 15v for triggering supply ,if so what size are the sockets ,too big for the normal 5.5mm barrel?
If possible want to use to trigger power on other items.
Can't find answers anywhere

Just taken the bottom off the Beomaster - looks like someone has been there before (apart from the spiders) - definite signs of resoldering in places including the trimmers - although the trimmers are the original type.

Taken out the two trimmers - both were measuring about 140R - not bad for 100R items:rolleyes: ,but it was running hot again - got some 100R multiturns on order.

Last edited:
Multiturns arrived - leads are too short - barely long enough to get through the board so have ordered some standard cermets ,my hands are not steady enough to mess with anything really fiddly - so now waiting again.

IMG-0465.jpg

As this is a B&O thread, I thought people might be interested in earlier examples of the brand. When I finally finished college in 1965 and started to earn reasonable money for the first time I bought this (although my recollection is that the speakers were a size bigger than these look). It was all beautifully made and very easy to live with, but the TT had a slight problem of noise. The speed control was like a clutch plate that could be lowered onto a spinning disc to brake it. The trouble was if it was completely lifted the TT was silent but running fast and if you applied it to get correct speed it was barely touching and would chatter noisily. You could screw it down to eliminate the chatter, but then it was running slow.
So after 3 years I decided on a change, and the 33, 303 had just come out, so it had to go. But it was such a beautiful thing I hung on to the flyer illustrated above. I still think that the integrated arm and cartridge is one of the best looking ever (particularly the later, slimmer examples).

Beomaster 5000 up and running reliably - just what I wanted but wondering if as it's 35+ years old I should be thinking about replacing the electrolytics given that I would like it to run reliably for the next 15 years or so,but worried about my ability to do the job given the reputation of the boards for tracks lifting.
Is there anyone with experience of these kits?
https://www.audio-high-store.com/pr...-5000-upgrade-kit-audio-capacitors/#commentsh

Beoparts in Denmark is the undisputed king of B&O replacement parts - it's run by a chap called Martin who used to work for B&O and has years of experience with the brand - https://www.beoparts-shop.com/. For any equipment that benefits from re-capping, he sells capacitor kits of exactly the original specification parts, but he doesn't offer one for the Beomaster 5000. Consequently, you can be pretty confident that it won't benefit from any re-capping!

The only items that give trouble on these are the muting relay which will mean lost channels on the Speakers 1 output, or as I had only recently, background noise on the phono input. Other than that, the trimmers on the main PCB do benefit from a squirt of switch cleaner and occasionally the memory backup battery on the tuner will die with age, which means it loses the radio presets when you switch off. Other than that, they're pretty sturdy beasts.

Reactions: ask
Thanks - have had a look at Beoparts - maybe get new feet ,transformer bushes as I keep finding bits of them where they have hardened and broken up and a relay (although it is working fine at the moment) - but I note he sells main PSU caps for it (I would have thought smaller caps would have failed first).

advertisement

Back