advertisement

Bang & Olufsen.

Apparently you can get the bushes - I have a pair of Beolab 6000's and a pair of 'bookshelf' Mission speakers.
I also have to make sure phono loading for my AT VM is OK though - looking at phono circuit diagram seems to show 100pf.

Yes I have had the beolab 6000 very good for there size a must say. Think I will keep my eye out for a 5000 is there a difference between the 5000 and 5500?

Yes I have had the beolab 6000 very good for there size a must say. Think I will keep my eye out for a 5000 is there a difference between the 5000 and 5500?

Yes, they're very different and can only be used with their dedicated Master Control Panels. Especially so in the case of the 5500 as there are no physical buttons on it apart from one that mutes it or switches it in/out of standby. The 5000 does have most major controls on it, under a fold-down flap on the front.

Frankly, the 5500 looks more impressive and high-tech (and it is!) but the 5000 sounds better. More details here:

Beomaster 5000: https://beocentral.com/beomaster5000-1980s

Beomaster 5500: https://beocentral.com/beomaster5500

I’ve listened to so many speakers. In 2017, I toured the audiophile dealers in the country including the ATC factory and have never looked back. Actives are IMHO far ahead in every way and the icing on the cake is room correction/compensation which the newer Beolabs deliver strongly on. Throughly recommended. Wish you the best in your journey.

Sorry if I missed it, but which B&O actives do you have?

I'm also a strong supporter of B&O active speakers. I bought a s/h pair of Beolab 9s about seven years ago and although I've tried others since including ATC SCM19 actives, it's the Beolabs that remain. I'm not saying the ATC 19a were not superb but the Beolabs with their bass room correction just worked far better in my domestic situation . My only concern is they are coming up to fifteen years old and I only hope they can be serviced should they ever need it.

Hi Whizzy.
May I ask what you use the beolab 9's with?

It changes but Currently -
Musical Fidelity Encore - digital toslink out.
Denafribs Pontus 2,
Pass Labs clone DCB1 preamp

Sounds like an odd combination but it works really well with the 9s, particularly the DCB1 preamp.

One of the biggest improvements I found early on was changing the cables to the speakers. I originally tried cables from B&O, and Sounds Heavenly but both resulted in a very low level buzz which could be heard between tracks. Cured it by using cables supplied by Farnell that have individually screened conductor. I found these interconnects not only removed any hum but also sounded the best by far. Also tried the B&O wireless connection system using their transmitter 1 and receiver1 accessory system but was far from impressed.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. If I was to go down the road of active speakers I think I would definitely try the beolab9's or the 5's.
The people that have tried them seem to enjoy them and say they would change back.

Been inside - seems remarkably clean - tweaked the transformer bolts (some loose but bushes look crumbly and are obviously well past it) but it still buzzes and runs hot.
Pity as I could be interested in using it - would be perfectly happy to replace the bushes but not comfortable chasing the temperature 'problem'.

Was bought as just a little experiment - might decide to try and dismantle to get to the adjustment
I know the MCP works perfectly even if it does have some damage - so that could be sold on if anything goes wrong with the Beomaster.

Was bought as just a little experiment - might decide to try and dismantle to get to the adjustment
I know the MCP works perfectly even if it does have some damage - so that could be sold on if anything goes wrong with the Beomaster.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

No time to dismantle yet but done a quick check of temp with the thermocouple on my DMM and after 10 minutes at idle 0 volume no input and no speakers and the heatsink reads from 37 to 61C depending on position:confused::eek:

Frankly, the 5500 looks more impressive and high-tech (and it is!) but the 5000 sounds better.

True Adam, but I had a discussion with Tim many years ago on how to modify the 5500 so that it sounds like the 5000, or 4400 (my favourite sound wise).
I think the mod is somewhere on Beocentral if memory serves.

advertisement

Back