Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bandcamp June 19th fundraiser - recommend music by black artists

Discussion in 'music' started by Coda II, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

This Friday Bandcamp are "donating 100% of our share of sales to the NAACP* Legal Defense Fund, a racial justice organization with a long history of effectively enacting change through litigation, advocacy, and public education." (*National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)

It therefore seems an ideal opportunity to concentrate on music by black artists, not because we don't buy music by black artists at other times but because at this time, and on this day, we can focus on black voices whilst also channeling funds towards an organisation whose Vision Statement is:
    The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race.

So, Bandcamp recommendations for June 19th please.

tuga likes this.
  2. guey

guey pfm Member

3. guey

guey pfm Member

4. guey

guey pfm Member

5. guey

guey pfm Member

6. guey

guey pfm Member

7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Coda II likes this.
  8. bor

bor queue jumper

I'm slightly nervous of what could be seen as band-wagon(sic) jumping, but donating at this time is probably a good thing.

Here is the link to Algiers, a politically active bunch, with a liking for Black Panther influenced lyrics.

https://algierstheband.bandcamp.com

Here is their own statement and a fundraiser via Bandcamp.

Coda II likes this.
  9. guey

guey pfm Member

Nice - onto the wishlist you go

10. guey

guey pfm Member

If you fancy something pretty noisy (mad drums and synths) then maybe Nihiloxica - Kaloli might fit the bill.

11. Coda II

Thank you - so glad I put up the question now. Moses Boyd was the only name I was familiar with previously and have only listened to a track off each so far but all good stuff. The Makaya McCraven is the one that is really drawing me in so far.

12. guey

guey pfm Member

Not on Bandcamp, but his reworking of the final Gil Scott-Heron album is well worth a listen.

13. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

A little off-topic but...

all the BJORK studio albums are on the site with proceeds to BLM UK for the fundraiser day

bjork-discography-bandcamp

Coda II likes this.
  14. Coda II

paulfromcamden likes this.