advertisement

Bandcamp June 19th fundraiser - recommend music by black artists

Coda II

getting there slowly
This Friday Bandcamp are "donating 100% of our share of sales to the NAACP* Legal Defense Fund, a racial justice organization with a long history of effectively enacting change through litigation, advocacy, and public education." (*National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)

It therefore seems an ideal opportunity to concentrate on music by black artists, not because we don't buy music by black artists at other times but because at this time, and on this day, we can focus on black voices whilst also channeling funds towards an organisation whose Vision Statement is:
The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race.

So, Bandcamp recommendations for June 19th please.

I'm slightly nervous of what could be seen as band-wagon(sic) jumping, but donating at this time is probably a good thing.

Here is the link to Algiers, a politically active bunch, with a liking for Black Panther influenced lyrics.

https://algierstheband.bandcamp.com

Here is their own statement and a fundraiser via Bandcamp.
Algiers release special edition 7” to support the struggle to end state violence against Black people and destroy white supremacy.

“This release has been created to support, in a small way, those who continue to struggle under life and death circumstances to end the miserable condition that exists for Black and other oppressed people in this country and its colonial world.

“We dedicate this to the families of those who have been murdered by the police state in America, and encourage our supporters to continue to donate in their memory.” - ALGIERS

Thank you - so glad I put up the question now. Moses Boyd was the only name I was familiar with previously and have only listened to a track off each so far but all good stuff. The Makaya McCraven is the one that is really drawing me in so far.

Not on Bandcamp, but his reworking of the final Gil Scott-Heron album is well worth a listen.

advertisement

Back