advertisement

Banana Plugs....current choices/bargains out there??

I avoid anything involving soldering and prefer crimped connections. I use WBT gold bootlace cable ferrules these days and clamp them in the binding posts. I like to think you get a better connection that way but who knows? They are expensive though but I was given a box complete with crimping tool which will see me out I think :)

The Z-plugs from compass are available in a more expensive beryllium copper version. I reckon these are springer and my preference if you are happy soldering.

The quality of the gold plating is very poor and the design introduces three mechanical connections where there only needs to be one.

And from experience they sound far from optimal.

I've been using these for years, on a lot of different cables, and they are perfect. Seem to have been recommended by several others so far too. I think they might be made by Deltron, even though the outer cover looks different. Gold plated for zero corrosion too.

I do solder them myself, but they also have screws if you're not able to solder. The same seller also does crimp versions if you're into that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29510268...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Used these for years, simple elegant one piece construction and if you think they are becoming a little loose just prise them open a little bit.
They are good value as well as they are £6.95 for 8 plugs and free postage
The main thing I like about them is you get a nice tight fit with a surface area around the full circumference and depth of the 4mm socket, so excellent tight contact
Alan

Thanks again for all the suggestions/reasonings....all much appreciated!
Veering towards the BFA Z-Type....like the price really! :)
Can see a Beryllium Copper variation too...and at £1 per end...seems reasonable to me.

Cable next....all short runs (12 of 'em all <1.5m)....thinking Van Damme (have made lots of interconnects using the V.D.)
...any other thoughts/ideas please??

I'm going to be removing those from my system to replace therm with Deltrons when I next put an RS order in. Been meaning to do it for ages...

These ^

Years ago I noticed that quite a few of the expensive cable manufacturers were using the same funny wiggly looking plug with different fancy bodies on them. I figured there was no way they were making them so had a look around and sure enough, there in the RS catalog was the same plug. Gold plated stacking banana plugs for test equipment. So I bought a bag, threw away the plastic plug that came with them and soldered them onto my speaker cable.

They've been my default plug ever since and Compass do them at a good price. I always have a bag of them in the house. If they're good enough for Nordost and crew I think they'll do me. Certainly sound better than anything else I've tried.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
50A Anderson connectors on the amp spades on the speakers, 10mm csa speaker wire rated at 90A continuous hardly gets warm at normal volume.

;)

Pete

These ^

Years ago I noticed that quite a few of the expensive cable manufacturers were using the same funny wiggly looking plug with different fancy bodies on them. I figured there was no way they were making them so had a look around and sure enough, there in the RS catalog was the same plug. Gold plated stacking banana plugs for test equipment. So I bought a bag, threw away the plastic plug that came with them and soldered them onto my speaker cable.

They've been my default plug ever since and Compass do them at a good price. I always have a bag of them in the house. If they're good enough for Nordost and crew I think they'll do me. Certainly sound better than anything else I've tried.
If you snip off the little solder rib on the side, they look even neater when you put heatshrink on. The only (possible) problem I have seen is if the cable is very heavy or stiff, they can be pulled down at an angle, so they only make contact at two points. In which case I use the Deltron type, also from Compass.

The trick to getting the best out of Z plugs is not to over fill with solder, I try to solder against one side of the plug barrel in order to not impede the springiness of the connector, for the same reason I don’t heat shrink over the body of the connector.

Because not everyone has a soldering iron powerful enough to properly solder thick cables. I good screw fixing would be better than a bad solder joint.

The only reason I can see for using screws on cables is not having a soldering iron. Or being a manufacturer who wants to assemble the product quicker. If you're a hi-fi buff you should be diverting some of those funds towards a soldering iron. It's something we should all have.

If you snip off the little solder rib on the side, they look even neater when you put heatshrink on.

Yes, it's easy to bend over. I crush the back of the 'plug' onto the cable then solder. If the cable will be hanging down from the plug I bend the cable into shape before I solder it.

advertisement

Back