advertisement

Banana Plugs....current choices/bargains out there??

Tonewheelkev

...I can dream!!
Just gone Aktiv with Isobariks....and have a hotch-potch selection of L/S cable connections.
Looking for a couple of dozen (of) banana plugs, and wondered what is currently out there, and gives good value?

I'm happy to make soldered connections....especially if that's cheaper!!
(Think I've been in Yorkshire tooo long now, as I'm seriously becoming a tight arse!! :D )
Will possibly be using a Van Damme cable I think......all runs being very short, les than 1m.

+1 to that; those or, for me, standard Deltron - the ones with the linear spring down the middle. Not pretty but rock-solid contact and long-term reliable.

In any case - avoid, avoid, avoid, things like the locking ones pitched by hifi accessory companies. I've played with several - they are brittle, low quality crap in reality (even the expensive ones) and far less reliable a contact than the fine part @david ellwood suggests

'Simpler Z-plugs'

Yes; though they are essentially the same as post #2 above, which is from an industrial supplier.

Go with something available to you, at reasonable cost, along the lines suggested - you cannot go far wrong - nor do any better ; )

PS my deltrons are the plain (nickel plated?) lab ones - no need for the gold flash at all ;)

All of the RS PRO plugs that look like Deltron plugs are, in fact, Deltron plugs. Absolute best value are RS Stock No.: 180-6642, 10 - 24 @ £0.45 ea. If looking at the Deltron catalog these are 550-0100 through 550-0800, specifically 550-0500 (red insulator). No need to worry about colour as the plastic insulator of these won't fit onto anything larger than lamp cord, so best to budget for some black and red shrink wrap (which you'd also need for David's recommended Multi-Contact/Stäubli plugs above).

One thing I believe Naim may have claimed was that the metal coating on the plug should match that on the socket. The Naim Deltrons were nickel plated I think. I’ve no idea if there’s any truth in this. Any opinion?

One thing I believe Naim may have claimed was that the metal coating on the plug should match that on the socket. The Naim Deltrons were nickel plated I think. I’ve no idea if there’s any truth in this. Any opinion?
Generally you should match metals, as non matching metal can cause corrosion. However, gold doesn't have a problem with this, so I believe it's safe with pretty much every other contact material.

I have had a few of these - no soldering or silly little screws and using with ancient (79 strand?) monster cable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks Mike yes. Different metals, in contact with each other in the presence of atmospheric moisture, will set up a potential difference, leading to corrosion (the sacrificial anode). It seems gold does have a zero anodic index voltage, but I assume you’d still need gold against gold, as it’s the difference that matters? I’ve always just played safe and matched the metals where possible. I’m not sure what that says about Deltron using nickel-coated brass. Their surface does tarnish to a nasty grey colour with time. Removing then re-plugging the connectors seems to be restorative though.

I have had a few of these - no soldering or silly little screws and using with ancient (79 strand?) monster cable.
Those are exactly the kind of plugs I’d advise against using.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back