advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Octopus Go, 7.5p/kWh between 00:30 and 04:30.

Well, I’ve gone online and they won’t quote me. If this is going to work, it has to make economic sense and be easy. Right now, it’s expensive and difficult. Doesn’t bode well. That’s before the small issue of the £55K.

It's not just Octopus offering charging rates - BG, EDF & EON all do as far as I know - we are about to change over to one, and we are on EDF here.
Easy enough to Google.
Now my car has finally got circa 1200 miles on the ICE, I will only be adding petrol as and when I do gigs / visit friends out of the area.
All local commutes, inc work will be covered.
Plenty of fun if I want to go hooning, its a simple flick of a switch.

It's not just Octopus offering charging rates - BG, EDF & EON all do as far as I know - we are about to change over to one, and we are on EDF here.
Easy enough to Google.
Now my car has finally got circa 1200 miles on the ICE, I will only be adding petrol as and when I do gigs / visit friends out of the area.
All local commutes, inc work will be covered.
Plenty of fun if I want to go hooning, its a simple flick of a switch.

Been online again. EDF won’t quote, I’m currently with BG, their EV tariffs are not currently available. EON EV tariffs currently unavailable. It’s just too hard. There’s still the matter of £55K as well. Honestly, if it was easy and made financial sense, I’d do it.

You actually never realise they are there in this car to be honest, where they are placed, plus, they always retain enough for 'overtake power' if needed, plus the engine is plenty powerful (for me), and if running pure ice, it does 40+ mpg.
It can self charge if I tell it to, so if coming to a geofenced city centre type place it switches over to full electric automatically.
I'm more tham happy.

I'm just about to purchase a new to me Diesel.

There is a petrol option but the MPG is terrible in comparison, its unaffordable.

Despite being a petrol head, I would easily choose an EV, but the costs are just too prohibitive and living in a flat, it is currently impossible to charge the car anywhere near me. Seeing as my road is a huge road of massive Victorian houses, some with over 6 flats in each, the logic of charging all these cars on the street is literally comical. Imagine being a wheelchair user and having to bump up and off 100 cable ramps down a single road, and knowing full well not everyone will use correct cable ramps its just impossible to perceive.

The council have responded though, they put in two charging points at the end of the road.

That's one of the many, big, issues for EV & PHEV for now.
For me personally, it makes absolute sense to go the PHEV route, but then I am certainly in the minority for now.

That's one of the many, big, issues for EV & PHEV for now.
For me personally, it makes absolute sense to go the PHEV route, but then I am certainly in the minority for now.

If it makes no sense for me, it’s going to be a challenge for most. I have a garage with a charging point and a company I can whack a car through to pay sod all BIK. However, it seems no energy company will offer me an EV charging tariff so it’s a non starter.

However, it seems no energy company will offer me an EV charging tariff
Msy have something to do with the Trusstershambles (family friendly version of Count Binface's notable addition to political discourse) around energy price subsidies.

Assuming you have a gen 2 smart meter of course.

A simple email to BG will have your questions answered, just saying they will not give you a quote cant be correct. Guy a few doors from me is awaiting his BG contract to start with EV charging.
With the wait time for a new model Y being (??) I cant imagine it being shorter than the wait for BG to begin their EV charging contracts (November from what I can see)

A Model Y on a 3+35 contract hire with 10K miles per annum is £630+VAT through gateway2lease (who usually offer about the best deals). That’s £28,738 for a 3 year rental. Even with 50% VAT back and allowing for corp tax relief that’s £21,785 plus the 2% BIK of circa £3,300 for 3 years, so call it £25K effective cost to rent a car for 3 years. Alternatively I keep my current petrol car (3 years old) which will depreciate but last for years. You can see why mass adoption is going to be challenging.

The used car bubble was driven by the shortage of new cars. The chip shortage is largely over, so what is left is the shortage of sub-assemblies, aggravated by repeated China lockdowns. Once this is gone, used cars prices will be driven by leasers not wanting to sign up for a new car at year three

Last edited:
A Model Y on a 3+35 contract hire with 10K miles per annum is £630+VAT through gateway2lease (who usually offer about the best deals). That’s £28,738 for a 3 year rental. Even with 50% VAT back and allowing for corp tax relief that’s £21,785 plus the 2% BIK of circa £3,300 for 3 years, so call it £25K effective cost to rent a car for 3 years. Alternatively I keep my current petrol car (3 years old) which will depreciate but last for years. You can see why mass adoption is going to be challenging.

but aren’t the costs similar to replacing your car with another petrol car? Getting a new car is always expensive.

There are also much cheaper electric cars than the model Y.

but aren’t the costs similar to replacing your car with another petrol car? Getting a new car is always expensive.

Don’t have the same range, do they? It has to be usable for when I make longer journeys. The cost to keep my current car (3 years old, 20K miles) is minimal, maybe £3K a year depreciation for a couple of years then will level off, still has 2 years warranty on it but should last 15 - 20. Will an EV last 20 years? What’s the environmental impact of a building a new EV every 3 years versus running the car you already have for say 15 years, so 5 refresh cycles?

The used car bubble was driven by the shortage of new cars. The chip shortage is largely over, so what is left is the shortage of sub-assemblies, aggravated by repeated China lockdowns. Once this is gone, used cars prices will be driven by leasers not wanting to sign up for a new car at year three

The reality is, if manufacturers want to shift metal, they are going to have to deep discount to get people to sign up to new 3 year financial commitments. Increased cost of funds could easily add £200 a month to a lease on a £50K car.

You can buy a very good, used, ICE car for £5000, with a range per fill of over 600 miles and no fannying around looking for places to charge.

You simply won't ever get that with an EV. Well not in my lifetime, anyway.

Will an EV last 20 years?
More likely than an ICE design.
Motors will last indefinitely, regenerative braking makes the braking work a lot less hard, no gearbox.
Battery packs seem to last better than anticipated, maybe 10 years in practice, so similar to an ICE power train

The environmental argument is kinda null and void when you talk about cars with 3 year lifespans, regardless of their power plant. An EV should last MUCH longer than a typical mid size turbotractor, yes you may only get 10-15 years out of the battery, but high pressure diesel pumps, turbos and dual-mass flywheels have typically shorter lifespans on a modern motor. Yes a failed battery is a big expense, but how much is a fully dressed engine for a BMW330D for instance in comparison?

Also, a car battery with 75% life is actually VERY usable for energy storage. A dead diesel engine isn't much use beyond a boat anchor!

advertisement

Back