advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

Portugal maybe....Cornwall isn't in the EU....or is about not to be.

Mining on that scale would be extremely controversial, but battery storage for the National Grid, which is where Musk was coming from according to Stephen's post, would be on a whole different level. It would inevitably just be a niche for the very wealthy..

Reserves aren't the same as supplies though Seeker, there's a global shortage now even before the demand for electric cars takes off.

But high demand drives up prices and starts to make reserves economic to exploit.

also problem of disposal of electric cars and batteries at end of use , current combustion engines can mostly be recycled and can also be made to last a long time if well looked after

Are we really still fretting about whether there'll be enough electricity for EVs?

In ten years' time, a significant percentage of vehicles on the road will still be ICE and that percentage will be almost exactly the same the day after the deadline for selling new ICE vehicles. There are years and years to prepare for the time when nearly all cars are electric, even if in practice vehicle manufacturers will stop selling new ICE vehicles well before the deadline.

also problem of disposal of electric cars and batteries at end of use , current combustion engines can mostly be recycled and can also be made to last a long time if well looked after
What problem? All the elements of a battery are still in the casing at end of life. It's a sealed box. Remove the box, take it to the recycling centre.

Lithium is one of the more plentiful elements, there must be environmentally sensitive methods of extraction.
By far the majority of lithium is from brine deposits, that article above talks about mining as if it's from ore deposits, but this accounts for a tiny proportion at present.
Unlike gas, coal and oil it's infinitely recyclable too, you don't just burn it and it's gone, which is a factor frequently overlooked.

Yet again, the experts from the National Grid say that we will. Can we all stop spouting this, it is very obviously wrong.

I am an ardent supporter of RE and have read that NG believe they can cope BUT I'm not convinced that all the necessary things that will be required will be in place without a much larger commitment starting yesterday.

We're committing £12billion to assorted RE projects but a total cost of £98billion to HS2. We definitely need one of these and most certainly don't need the other. Thus I'm not convinced that the government really understands what is required.

Very substantial projects need to be started and completed - as I have said elsewhere the type of nuclear power station being built at Hinckly has a poor track record, the French one is still 10yrs away from completion, they started in 2007 so that's a 23yr project. The one in Finland is even more behind.

2016 + 23 = 2039 as a possible date when power becomes available based on history........... (albeit limited).

How many of the existing stations will be closed by then? We currently have what 8 left, EDF are trying to get extensions for 4 of these.

Personally I'm not so sure the NG are being entirely honest with themselves.

Regards

Richard

Sorry to be a stuck record, but I think battery tech needs to get multiples better before EVs can compete as an overall package short/long range vehicle. But surely, battery energy density WILL get much better in the next decade - because of the investment, because of these commitments. It's a good thing IMO.

I admit for urban driving EVs are the present though - not just the future.

Once batteries improve (maybe with new chemistries now being researched) EVs will have what they lack now, i.e. moderate weight and commensurate long range. I wonder if they'll even beat ICEs in this regard in time - imagine if vehicles could drive all day without recharging, then I expect almost all recharging will be overnight, and that part anyway would be a benefit to the grid.

To recap: batteries; investment!

The electric motors are long lived and at end of life the copper windings and rare earth magnets are recyclable.
Far less consumables too, no oil and air filters, spark plugs etc

Slightly off topic, and for those who read French, here's an interesting article

Amongst other things,it shows another dark side of COVID-19: date for limiting access of 15 year old diesel has been pushed out by six months, if one presumes that is mainly because many are driven by those involved in health and other affected sectors.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...electric-cars-go-three-times-further-by-2024/

We keep hearing about new chemistries, but allegedly this is going to be productionised in the next few years.
That'd be a game-changer in a lot of ways if it happened. Aside from the range/weight issues, there's also the, arguably crucial, point that the design and chemistry doesn't rely on rare earths or materials that are difficult to source (and that Russia seems to be trying to monopolise from the deposits in Eastern Ukraine), not to mention greatly reduced energy for production.

Better yet...

DeLorean_DMC-12_Time_Machine_-_Mr._Fusion.jpg

yesterday i was working on a house a long way from a road up a narrow footpath . i was only wondering how on earth one would get electric cables to it !!! cadent [ gas pipe installers ] just caused total mayhem with residents having to climb over fences to get access to their houses !!!

advertisement

Back