advertisement

Balanced mains transformer units

I would be interested to know the answer to this point, as mine are left running 24/7

A transformer, any transformer, does have a few small internal losses to work at all, but it is a tiny percentage of the full plated rating.
These losses are 'copper losses' - resistive heating from the AC current bare minimum to generate the essential 'magnetising current' - and 'iron loss' - hysteresis in the core. Which is why steel selection for the core , and lamination insulated once from another, is a key selection by the designer.

Those are the overheads, and in a decent size toroidal, at this sort of power level, these will be tiny: c 1% max. of full power rating would be typical, and a reasonable assumption *

So a 1kW rated transformer from any half-decent manufacturer, it'd be reasonable to assume you'll only be 'paying for' 10w draw or less as an overhead from adding the transformer as BMU. It will run cool, and that also means - negligibly -cheap.

(Transformers are amazing bits of kit for such a simple & old conception. They are also incredibly tolerant of transient overloads, +100% or more of rating for short durations is no problem at all.)

In the kinds of tiny 'E-I' style transformer in old heavy wallwarts - well over 50% or worse not unusual, owing to lossy & cost-cut nature; hence why they ran warm, cost more to run than they added in value, and have now gone-away forever on favour of SMPS.

I would be interested to know the answer to this point, as mine are left running 24/7

Obviously it's a very bad idea to leave gear on 24/7.... and obviously a BMU will do diddly squat... But FWIW a 1KW unit would prob consume say 5W ish itself in losses.

A transformer, any transformer, does have a few small internal losses to work at all, but it is a tiny percentage of the full plated rating.
These losses are 'copper losses' - resistive heating from the AC current bare minimum to generate the essential 'magnetising current' - and 'iron loss' - hysteresis in the core. Which is why steel selection for the core , and lamination insulated once from another, is a key selection by the designer.

Those are the overheads, and in a decent size toroidal, at this sort of power level, these will be tiny: c 1% max. of full power rating would be typical, and a reasonable assumption *

So a 1kW rated transformer from any half-decent manufacturer, it'd be reasonable to assume you'll only be 'paying for' 10w draw or less as an overhead from adding the transformer as BMU. It will run cool, and that also means - negligibly -cheap.

(Transformers are amazing bits of kit for such a simple & old conception. They are also incredibly tolerant of transient overloads, +100% or more of rating for short durations is no problem at all.)

In the kinds of tiny 'E-I' style transformer in old heavy wallwarts - well over 50% or worse not unusual, owing to lossy & cost-cut nature; hence why they ran warm, cost more to run than they added in value, and have now gone-away forever on favour of SMPS.
Thanks for the very informative response.

I have two Airlinks and have previously recommended them on PFM in discussions as VFM++++, as well as being a British product built close to home.

I initially bought a 230v Conditioning BMU as I was wary of any filtration. There was an immediate improvement in everything especially the impression of space and better bass. Addition of a better cable and fuse also helped.

Once this was downgraded to supply my NAS and Cisco switch I then plumped for an Advanced filter BMU and this was another step up for my NDS and AHB2. I now have 2 units and no real urge to shell out for a regenerator.

There is an Australian thread where the Airlink is favourably compared to the leading power regenerator costing lot more. In this report the BMU before the regenerator was the best sounding option of all!

I also the read the threads on Wigwam re safety, but thsi is one persons view, and the units are made by a reputable company with many supplied worldwide.
Do Airlink do loans or trials of there units.

OK - let us know the response.
Spoke to Airlink today,you was correct the don't loan units for audition,but i spoke to an engineer who was very helpful and knowledgeable.They have quiet a good selection and can do bespoke items as well.

Z-Axis make a balanced power supply called Symetrica - I've got one on demo at the moment and been pretty impressed, both with the build quality as well as the overall sound improvement, which I'd describe as having a bit more air and space than a Shunyata Triton I normally use.

Spoke to Airlink today,you was correct the don't loan units for audition,but i spoke to an engineer who was very helpful and knowledgeable.They have quiet a good selection and can do bespoke items as well.

I would suggset getting the filteted unit, unless you ahev one alraedy

The safety issue must depend on whether the secondary is centre tapped to ground. If it is and a fuse blows or switch only opens one line, then the other is still live at 120 V and is hazardous.
A floating output is no different to an isolating transformer. The only hazard there is that touching one line will not trigger an earth leakage trip, nobody dies though.

Do you think the Advanced filtred is that much better than Conditioned units

To my ears the filtered sounded better, although there is a cost increase. As I wrote I was concerned that filtaration would be counter productive, but this was not the case with my power supply.

It's an isolating transformer with a centre tapped secondary which is usually connected to earth. There is no reason to use one whatsoever. A complete waste of time, money and effort.

Are there any mains products you would consider a sensible purchase? I sometimes see Furman conditioners in pro audio racks.

advertisement

Back