advertisement

Balanced mains transformer units

saab9000

pfm Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with balanced mains units other than the norm dealers Russ Andrews,PS Audio ect:- i have seen an old link on forums mentioning JMS Transformers,Tec and others who will make units to your specific requirements at a fraction of the cost of those established names.Any help much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with balanced mains units other than the norm dealers Russ Andrews,PS Audio ect:- i have seen an old link on forums mentioning JMS Transformers,Tec and others who will make units to your specific requirements at a fraction of the cost of those established names.Any help much appreciated.
https://airlinktransformers.com/cat...MI_P6qvN797gIV2YBQBh0r2AVbEAAYASAAEgIcXvD_BwE
Please note that the use of BMU in domestic environments is not universally accepted as safe. Please consult with a certified electrician before use at home.

great , seems a good deal to me. i nearly had one made . i use a isotek syncro which is similar and makes a very big sonic difference . at that price you can soon move it on if its not to your taste

They normally have thermal cut outs and MCB installed in the units
“Electrical safety is designed in layers, from the equipment fuse, through the plug top fuses to the MCB/RCD in the consumer unit. These measures are designed to remove power to the device in the event of a fault for two reasons - to prevent shock hazard and fire. An RCD is designed to trip if a (small) current imbalance is detected between line and neutral conductors, e.g. if there is a (low current) leakage to earth via a person. An MCB is for overload (high current) protection and more or less a replacement for a fuse, e.g. a short to ground causing a large fault current will trip the MCB. Modern domestic consumer units use RCBOs which is basically a combination of RCD and MCB.

These safety measures are all designed with the assumption of only one high voltage conductor (line) with the other at 0V (neutral). The basis for this being that it's easier to cut one conductor in the event of a fault, allowing for complete removal of high voltage to the device.

What balanced power does is introduce two high voltage conductors and this makes it far, far more difficult to completely remove power in the event of a fault. Simply adding a fuse in the neutral will not do, one fuse will always go before the other, leaving the possibility that even if one fuse blows there is still high voltage at the device, allowing for the possibility of electric shock or fire. This makes it inherently more hazardous. An RCD or MCB may or may not trip, depending on the nature of the fault, so you should never rely on only one safety mechanism - that's why there are several of them”
End of the day, once you are informed, it is of course your choice. ATB.

I had 1kVA balanced transformers to reduce transformer hum in my power amp - they hummed mechanically as loudly as the amp had previously done, so I got rid of them.
I find the Isotek Syncro is more effective for transformer hum (and it remains quiet at all times).

The Airlink ones are good VFM. I built my own 3kva one, but advised a friend who bought one from Airlink to have them fit double pole MCB and RCBO to primaries and secondaries as I did on mine. I also fitted a DC blocker and a 30A NTC as the bare transformer would trip the fuse box on energising.

NVA also offer a bmu. The mains in my house is best described as cr*ppy. I borrowed a bmu in the expectation/hope that it would make an improvement. I was wrong although others think that it’s a remarkable product.

Buying one without being able to test it at home is effectively a punt. Just looked at their website and a 1kva model is £795.

I took delivery of an Airlink balance mains transformer about four weeks ago. Airlink are mainly a supplier to industry and the look of my unit clearly illustrates this, however they are well made and if you are able to hide the unit away (or build a wooden case) they offer extremely good value. I went for a 3kva model in order to minimise it's impedance but in all probability a 1kva would probably have been fine.

For safety reasons purchase a unit with a built in RCD on the output ( I did) although if you end up buying a unit without one built in you can use an after market device(s) on the output(s) like the ones sold for use with things like electric lawn mowers.

Don't be put off by fears about safely, provided there is a RCD on the output it should be perfectly safe.

Sound wise it's a bit too early to give detailed feedback but overall there is a definite improvement in clarity and I'm pleased with my purchase. I'll feedback in more detail given a bit more listening time.

I have two Airlinks and have previously recommended them on PFM in discussions as VFM++++, as well as being a British product built close to home.

I initially bought a 230v Conditioning BMU as I was wary of any filtration. There was an immediate improvement in everything especially the impression of space and better bass. Addition of a better cable and fuse also helped.

Once this was downgraded to supply my NAS and Cisco switch I then plumped for an Advanced filter BMU and this was another step up for my NDS and AHB2. I now have 2 units and no real urge to shell out for a regenerator.

There is an Australian thread where the Airlink is favourably compared to the leading power regenerator costing lot more. In this report the BMU before the regenerator was the best sounding option of all!

I also the read the threads on Wigwam re safety, but thsi is one persons view, and the units are made by a reputable company with many supplied worldwide.

Airlink BMU and DC blocker works for me.
Loaned it to a friend where it had little no effect on his system.

advertisement

Back