advertisement

Avondale SE200 Announcement on FB

Still not had the chance to start my SE200 build, but all of this 230 talk is giving me itchy feet without having even set off walking yet!

[QUOTE="OzBrit Audio,

Love your open baffles btw. Looks like you have done a high gloss finish on the front which looks really nice. What’s the mid/high end driver in the middle?[/QUOTE]

The finish it’s just black gloss 3mm plastic..the full range driver is a TangBand W8-1808.

[QUOTE="OzBrit Audio,

Love your open baffles btw. Looks like you have done a high gloss finish on the front which looks really nice. What’s the mid/high end driver in the middle?

The finish it’s just black gloss 3mm plastic..the full range driver is a TangBand W8-1808.[/QUOTE]
Plastic finish looks great. what product did you use, is it like a vinyl wrap?

And the TangBand, they are expensive, I could only find one supplier @360USD. They have a good reputation. Worth the money do you think?

I bought some Alpair 11MS and wasn't happy. They didn't sound right, the first pair had to be replaced as they distorted like nothing you heard. The second pair I initially thought were good but seem to be going the same way as the first. Waste of money!

Anyways sorry to go off track. Back to the SE's :)

After speaking via email to Les this morning it seems the 230 boards are being kept for amps they are planning themselves and not available to those doing diy upgrades.

Hi just a bit of an update (for anyone interested ) im now running Avondale se200 mono blocks via a Grad with the new shunt power supply going off my recent experiences was hoping for an improvement, but ive been going direct or passive into the power amps and didn't really see how adding extra cables and electronics would really improve things ! I was wrong big time its a massive step forward and the se200 are even better than i thought possible .
I had couple hrs with the new 230 dual mono power amp and it is a singer not heard it im my own system yet or with Grad but it is preferred to the EAR 509's .
At the moment things never sounded so good I don't feel the urge to swap out my 200's for the 230's yet ...! .
Will try the 230 with grad in the next week or so and in my own system as well .
Either way its smiles all round and the Grad with the shunt reg power supply is amazing .

Well im not going disagree at all , i now have the best sounding system ive ever owned shame it took so long to get there, not that there hasn't been a lot of highlights and a few fireworks and smoke along the way lol all part of the fun .

ps this started out as a second system .

Well im not going disagree at all , i now have the best sounding system ive ever owned shame it took so long to get there, not that there hasn't been a lot of highlights and a few fireworks and smoke along the way lol all part of the fun .

ps this started out as a second system .

Is that with the 200 or 230’s ?

At some stage will do a comparison of SE230 with the NCC300s and a Grad1 with TPX2 rather than shunt PSU, will report back here any differences....

Not being on Facebook I miss a lot of this as the website does not mention any of this.
If the SE boards are so much better I imagine they trump the nc220 or WH phoenix?

Are any of the SE boards available DIY or only sold as complete amps?

Not being on Facebook I miss a lot of this as the website does not mention any of this.
If the SE boards are so much better I imagine they trump the nc220 or WH phoenix?

Are any of the SE boards available DIY or only sold as complete amps?
Dont think Les is doing these as DIY now the design has been finalised. Might be wrong but someone further up the thread (post 145) mentioned he had spoken to Les about that

From what I’ve read up thread its only the completed 200 boards that may be available and the 230 and 400 definitely won’t. So limited diy possibilities. (Unless you’re one of the anointed few :) )

advertisement

Back