advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

I use dsp on my basses (not a subwoofer)
There's no way I'd go for a bass with inbuilt dsp electronics as the tecnology changes quickly the electonics would soon be out of date. This stuff is pretty much commodity priced so why pay more for it in a single box. Also if you buy the electroncs inbuilt and keep it a long time what's the chance of it working in 10 years?

DSP used to integrate subwoofers , correct room response ,create digital crossovers is incredibly useful, but the next stage of loudspeaker development exemplified by th KII /Beolab 90 have been /will be be conceived from the beginning as a complete package .
Keith

DSP used to integrate subwoofers , correct room response ,create digital crossovers is incredibly useful, but the next stage of loudspeaker development exemplified by th KII /Beolab 90 have been /will be be conceived from the beginning as a complete package .
Keith

Bundling tech as a single package has always been a technique to boost prices / hide costs and increase margin. Fair play...it's business but we don't all have to follow.

Good contemporary designs go far further than 'sticking a dac in a speaker', they use DSP to implement crossovers, correct phase ,time delay, correct driver anomalies and of course the Kiis and Beolabs go much further still.
There is nothing wrong with older equipment a fine design remains a fine design.
Personally I am not interested in the 'collector' aspect of HiFi,although I realise many are.
Keith

Yes but any speaker which has the gubbins built in also has built in obsolescence. I think at the bottom end of the market that is fine but not when you are spending tens of thousands.

The design is nothing about 'bundling' tech ,the designers started with a clean sheet of paper ,their goal to produce the finest sound quality obtainable, the Beolabs don't use 18 drivers simply because they had space to fit them in.
Keith

Keith, have you heard my PRV wideband driver with a pair of dsp'd 15" basses per side? Baffless. You've not?

The design is nothing about 'bundling' tech ,the designers started with a clean sheet of paper ,their goal to produce the finest sound quality obtainable, the Beolabs don't use 18 drivers simply because they had space to fit them in.
Keith
Of course that argument can be made but the counter one I made is also valid. People willing to part with lots of dosh are cateted for...I'm not saying there isn't a market.

Do you have any measurements for them , are you using spare drivers to create a perfect polar response?
Keith
I have measurements. The person productising them is doing more work on that but my old lugholes tell me what I need to know given some good basic measurements to confirm the speakers are behaving well.

I too am bored now.

Have you heard the Beolabs Jez?
Keith

Nope but I'd expect them to be bloody good Keith! As per previous post, all it needs is for new technology to come along (& it will) and you'll have £50k speakers which are obsolete. I'd far sooner have separate boxes at that price or at least something like ATC's.

Jez

Technology always advances, it doesn't make the previous iteration less worthy, the Kiis and Beolabs are a fundemental sea change, if you have the oppurtunity I would recommend a listen.
Keith

Do you hear these voices often, S-Man ?

JC

Sadly yes, there is a little devil, with a brum accent - which makes it 3000 X worse - sat on my right sholder. He chants "AVI is 3000 times better than your legacy hifi" over and over again. Sometimes he sings "Mama weer all cazee now" and "Cum on feel the noize" as well.

You have no idea what it's like.

@jcbrum, are you suggesting the DM10 has built in RIAA equalisation in the phono inputs?

They do not and you will need a separate RIAA preamp from your turntable or a Turntable with RIAA EQ built in.

It doesn't matter how good the beolabs are, like the avi's there just landfill waiting to happen. Most people couldn't give two hoots for the finer points of music replay let alone afford or house those 50k monstrosities.

@ Simon, - thanks.

@joleyami, - you only need RIAA with vinyl, due to it's inherent inadequate frequency response characteristics, it needs heavy eq. 78s and tape are fine, as is CD or any dig stuff.

Not much of a problem really, cause vinyl only lasted 25 or 30 years before it was obsolete (legacy category, landfill). It's all available from streaming libraries now anyway.

JC

advertisement

Back