advertisement

Auralic Aries Mini

I am tempted by the Aries Mini. My current source us an iPod classic with Pure i20 dock. The classic has started to cut out at random intervals, you can hear the hard disk spool down, and I am worried that it might fail. An Aries Mini with an SSD fitted would take my music and provide a decent replacement. Does anyone know where I can find an instruction manual for the Aries Mini so that I can check out if my ideas will work? It is not on the Website, which seems odd.

support.auralic.com

Questions answered here.

Magnus:
Mini+LPS vs PC+TeddyDac: I dont use the onboard dac in the Aries Mini so cannot comment on soundquality difference. The reason for me using the TeddyDac and not trying the onboard Dac of the Aries Mini is because 1) I dont have a preamp and therefore need the volumecontrol in the Teddydac. There is a software volumecontrol in the Mini but you risk putting out a to high volume, 2) Its not all about soundquality and I like how the teddydac sounds. I have a full Teddy system (except for the speakers and digital cables) so system synergy and balance also have something to say.

But if your question was soundquality difference between Mini+LPS+Teddydac vs PC+Teddydac both using USB digital cable then the first has a significant better soundquality......how much better is ofcourse down to personal opinion and system......but the Mini+LPS+teddydac is so good that I dont think I will need to think anymore of upgrading my digital front end....the Pc+teddydac was only a temporate solution because the soundquality and controlinterface was not good enoughf for me....

Yes Jack I was referring to the differences in sound while using the Teddydac in boths alternatives.

I also have a full Teddy system with PR-1 and MB-100. I used to have the first Teddydac but needed usb/spdif converter with coaxial out to teddydac. This combo sounded great but is now superseeded with a dac called Didit Dac 212+Regen+ Teddy PS.

Do you happen to know anything about my other question regarding network and stability while using a mobile broadband network?

Magnus

I use a stable Wifi network....Iam no network-expert but I would expect you would experience drop outs.....the music will simply stop playing....

Ofcom have just launched a wifi checker app for iOS and android that checks out how good your wifi is. Might be worth trying if you suspect your wifi.

The iOS one is here and the android one is here.

If the buffering and control software on the Aries is half decent (i.e. at least as good as a Squeezebox Touch) even a poor wifi network should be able to keep CD quality FLACs playing without dropouts.

Do you happen to know anything about my other question regarding network and stability while using a mobile broadband network?

Magnus

So far as I know the Mini loads the music into RAM , I can switch off the DS app half way through an album/playlist and it continues to play the remainder.

So far as I know the Mini loads the music into RAM , I can switch off the DS app half way through an album/playlist and it continues to play the remainder.

The support FAQ suggest that this answer is mixing two issues. The control app does not need a permanent link to the mini. It issues the instructions but can then be turned off as the instructions are logged in the mini. The answers suggest that the mini does use internal memory to buffer the music data. However, I do not think that it is easy to predict the effect of network dropouts as the music data is taken out of buffer at a steady rate, and if the wifi dropout is bad enough to top the buffer up too slowly then the music will stop at some point.

Hi guys, I have been reading through the threat a little. Just to clarify this in advance: I am Christian and I work for AURALiC. I can answer a couple of questions on certain things regarding Mini if you like. And I have some question myself: We are about to fire the iPhone version of Lighting DS soon. Is anyone interested in beta-testing the app? All you need to do is send your device SN and your Apple ID to test [email protected]
Would be cool if some of you guys joined in. If any other questions occur, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Christian

Thanks for your reply. I have now found a host of FAQ that comprehensively cover the obvious topics.

All I now need is to find one!

Hopefully there will be an avalanche of them available later this month/New Year. This is a really interesting development in this area.

Not that I trust reviewers (not my ears etc) but there is a real lack of reviews for those that are swayed by such thing.

Christian - have you got the Mini out to reviewers yet or will they just have to wait in line with the rest of them?

Also, it is my belief that Auralic have 'shot themselves in the foot' as regards the Aries (full fat). The Mini with LPS is very close to it in terms of SQ (from what I have been told) so why go for the Aries? Especially as the Mini does away with the need for a NAS.

I know you want to listen/buy one but just be patient. Coming soon. The wait is really worth it. Sell your Sonos Connect while it is still worth something!!

Aside- a Mini sold in the classifieds in 4 mins yesterday!

There will be units going out to reviewers for sure when the stock is secure.
For SQ: The Mini+PSU is still behind the full-blown ARIES. Besides, it will not feature future things like room correction and DSD-upsamling. So to be future-proof, the ARIES will always get ALL the features whereas Mini gets the ones it's RAM can handle and the suit it's customer's needs. My idea is to use it in the office and have it run as a NAS drive for the big ARIES in the living room.

Thanks for the response Christian.

So for those who want the DSD upsampling and room correction the 0.5Gb RAM of the Aries Mini is not enough and the 1Gb RAM of the Aries is required. OK, got it. Not interested in that (sure there will be people with bigger systems/set ups that are) so happy days. The sound quality of the Mini is rather fantastic (especially considering the price even with a LPS). Just get more available so people can haer what I am hearing!

Thanks

Neil

Thanks Christian for allowing us to have a viable alternative product to the legendary Squeezebox Touch - it's been this long a wait - other products have not been suitable replacements but it sound like this one truly is.

Did you think of the SBT when you developed this?

It seems a bit weird to launch a product then have none available at least here in the UK

Yes, I agree. However, it creates a demand, a bit of a buzz in the forums. Dealers love it, prices stay high as there is a rarity value, and the product sells itself. The manufacturer has a break even point to pay back development costs, and he hits that quickly and is then into big profit margins on each unit. Also, this unit will be the top of the tree for a short period before somebody brings out a competitor, so they will want to hit the marketplace hard.

It seems a bit weird to launch a product then have none available at least here in the UK

There have been genuine production problems I believe just like Guru Audio (will we ever see these speakers again?). Igloo Audio secured me one via a German distributor (the set up via the iPad app is fantastic so I did not have to translate the German).

It really is a very good product. Buy it, like it, keep it. You will have no problems selling it if you don't.

I had a SBT (with SqueezePak) into an Arcam irDAC. I now have an Aries Mini (with internal HDD) with a Linear Power Supply. I like what I have better.

Sometimes the 'hype' is real and with substance.

There have been genuine production problems I believe just like Guru Audio (will we ever see these speakers again?). Igloo Audio secured me one via a German distributor (the set up via the iPad app is fantastic so I did not have to translate the German).

It really is a very good product. Buy it, like it, keep it. You will have no problems selling it if you don't.

I had a SBT (with SqueezePak) into an Arcam irDAC. I now have an Aries Mini (with internal HDD) with a Linear Power Supply. I like what I have better.

Sometimes the 'hype' is real and with substance.

That's a coincidence - as I type this I am listening to an SBT into an Arcam irDAC (then into a Croft integrated and out to Role Audio Enterprise loudspeakers) - I'm very tempted by the AURALiC - but I can wait for stock to become more readily available ...

advertisement

Back