advertisement

Audiophile pomposity/verbosity

Please provide your full list of approved words for audio reviewing. Without such formal guidelines what hope has any one of compliance? It would be useful to have a supplementary guide covering approved punctuation too.
Suffice it to say, you won't find gravitas on it! 😁

Musical
Neutral

Are two of mine, meaningless terms. You either like the way something sounds or you don’t, attaching any type of purity to it is plain daft.

My main bugbear is not language but attitude, hate it when people slag off others choices (this usually refers to a couple of well known brands).

I work in the public sector and in my more junior days spent some time dealing with complaints from the public that my employer (a regulator) has powers to deal with. I notice that people, when writing to public bodies (whether councils, regulators or whoever) tend to use fancier language than they'd use in other communication. To the point that they'd use vocabulary which sounded posh, but actually made understanding their problem somewhat harder. There seems to be a general feeling that official communications need to use a register which is more 'serious' and 'proper' than would normally be used, if they are to be treated with due respect.

I suspect the same sort of thinking happens when amateurs write reviews.

In the august realm of sonic elucidation, where audiophiles converge in pursuit of the apotheosis of auditory ecstasy, this paradigm-shifting contraption under scrutiny emerges as nothing short of an avant-garde magnum opus. Behold the veritable sonic sorcerer, the pièce de résistance of acoustic exuberance — the transcendental audile alchemy embodied in the exalted form of the Royd Sorcerer.

In the pantheon of audible excellence, the Royd Sorcerer establishes an unprecedented dialectic between the esoteric nuances of sonic resonance and the effulgent symphony of technical prowess. Its mid-bass diaphragm, crafted with an unparalleled amalgamation of some papery thing covered in goop, begets a transcendental transduction of ethereal frequencies that titillate the very essence of one's auditory faculties.

In summation, the Royd Sorcerer as an unequivocal testament to the zenith of acoustic engineering, an objet d'art that beckons the discerning audiophile to embark upon a sojourn into the echelons of unparalleled auditory euphony. This transcendent transducer is not merely a speaker; it is a sanctified conduit to the apogee of sonic rapture, an apotheosis of auditory opulence that elicits nothing short of veneration from the connoisseur of acoustic excellence.

< online thesaurus unavailable >

Oi, and it's in me office system, it is.

Joe

Steve,

Of course. It has an unparalleled amalgamation of some papery thing covered in goop.

Joe

One which regularly crops up with high end equipment reviews is the goal posts have been moved if its a glowing review but invariable they said that about the last review from the same manufacturer

Steve,

Of course. It has an unparalleled amalgamation of some papery thing covered in goop.

Joe
Ah yes. I may have singularly failed to apprehend this essential premise, so overwhelmingly was I enveloped by the overweening erudition of your eminently elegant eruptions.

Behold, the unparalleled amalgamation of some papery thing covered in goop.

Ika1h2m.jpg

Joe

I work in the public sector and in my more junior days spent some time dealing with complaints from the public that my employer (a regulator) has powers to deal with. I notice that people, when writing to public bodies (whether councils, regulators or whoever) tend to use fancier language than they'd use in other communication. To the point that they'd use vocabulary which sounded posh, but actually made understanding their problem somewhat harder. There seems to be a general feeling that official communications need to use a register which is more 'serious' and 'proper' than would normally be used, if they are to be treated with due respect.
Haha, I've been guilty of that, but occasionally it's good fun writing stuff with that mixture or pomposity and outrage or indignation. And tbh having worked within local government myself (and my better half currently employed by the county council) they themselves are really the undisputed kings of producing unintelligible waffle, so it's good to give a little back :)

Yebbut, is it any good?
It’s funny, the late LJK Setright is often held up by some of my journalistic peers as a god of reviewing, writing and prose.

Now I’m not disputing his mastery of the English language, nor his sophistication and wit. The trouble is, I’ve read one or two of his car reviews and come away still unsure as to whether he liked the damn thing or not!

advertisement

Back