advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

Ethernet has galvanic isolation by design. Any cheap UTP cable will do the job.

With reference to the subject matter of this thread and recent posts please put me right if I am wrong but I thought a primary objective of the galvanic isolation built into ethernet was to protect circuits from ground offset voltages. Whilst it also provides high common mode noise rejection (note high does not mean perfect) it can’t filter differential mode noise to the same extent because after all differential signals need to pass through. Galvanic isolation is often bandied around like some sort of magic wand but in reality it is no such thing. Happy to be corrected though.

That's why the neurotics add 20 euro isolators at patch cable distance from their gear and reach sonic Nirvana until the placebo effect wears off.

That's why the neurotics add 20 euro isolators at patch cable distance from their gear and reach sonic Nirvana until the placebo effect wears off.

Haha, it is also why I use a 3k euro noise isolating PhoenixNET at (short) patch cable distance from my gear. The difference is that the placebo effect does not wear off with this because that is not the mechanism which is operative in this instance. :)

Hello again everyone ... I started this out of concern for 'possibly' needing yet another batch of audiophile tweaks for network connectivity seeing as just about all I do is stream music (therefore use a network) from Qobuz.

Now I don't need to concern myself over possible network tweaks challenged here anymore (I shouldn't worry anyway - but it 'niggles') because I have bought an Auralic Aries G1 from the PFM Classified section - this will be the most hi-end streamer I have personally owned and more importantly it is optimised to run wirelessly.

What a relief. No need for close proximity network switches or CAT 5,6,7,8,9 .... cables.

Hello again everyone ... I started this out of concern for 'possibly' needing yet another batch of audiophile tweaks for network connectivity seeing as just about all I do is stream music (therefore use a network) from Qobuz.

Now I don't need to concern myself over possible network tweaks challenged here anymore (I shouldn't worry anyway - but it 'niggles') because I have bought an Auralic Aries G1 from the PFM Classified section - this will be the most hi-end streamer I have personally owned and more importantly it is optimised to run wirelessly.

What a relief. No need for close proximity network switches or CAT 5,6,7,8,9 .... cables.

I have an Aries G2 , upgraded from a G1 , they both sounded better on wired connections than wireless I am afraid, but i do have about thirty wireless networks around me if that would mean why, but i do also have a nice switch in place which was a nice upgrade over the Cisco one I was using previously. Router, modem and switch powered by an LPS.

The Hoer Wedge psu is a brilliant modification to make btw

I have an Aries G2 , upgraded from a G1 , they both sounded better on wired connections than wireless I am afraid, but i do have about thirty wireless networks around me if that would mean why, but i do also have a nice switch in place which was a nice upgrade over the Cisco one I was using previously. Router, modem and switch powered by an LPS.

Yes, others have said about that psu modification benefits with the Aries.

The Phoenix net actually looks like a decent switch, proper machine built magnetics for isolation, decently sized hf caps for gnd leakage, placed at the right point and a proper filtered iec inlet port. The fancy clock is bollox though.

Yes, others have said about that psu modification benefits with the Aries.

Yes it definitely brought a smile to my face. My current setup is the longest Ive gone without changing anything, no niggles or nuisances, just enjoyment every listen..long may it last!

Nope, I'm not falling for that one. Wireless all the way as recommended by the maker himself.

Either way - I have a decent Wireless Router as tested by Auralic - an ASUS RT-AC86U. The choice - an optimised and recommended wireless connection for a "wireless bridge" or a standard Ethernet cable - the former please.

(I'm tapping away while watching England vs France from my Projector splaying a lovely large picture directly on the wall).

Haha, it is also why I use a 3k euro noise isolating PhoenixNET at (short) patch cable distance from my gear. The difference is that the placebo effect does not wear off with this because that is not the mechanism which is operative in this instance. :)
... easily parted, as the phrase goes.

Placebo effects can last and last, £3k is gonna be a very long time, got to get something back for the cash. :) We all do it...

Anymore thoughts on what the mechanism might be?

Nope, I'm not falling for that one. Wireless all the way as recommended by the maker himself.

Either way - I have a decent Wireless Router as tested by Auralic - an ASUS RT-AC86U. The choice - an optimised and recommended wireless connection for a "wireless bridge" or a standard Ethernet cable - the former please.

(I'm tapping away while watching England vs France from my Projector splaying a lovely large picture directly on the wall).
I found no difference between wireless and wired. So, like you, I'm sticking with WiFi.

Your mileage will obviously vary, but having spent years with these streamers, try not to let ‘expectational bias’ get in your way though as they do sound better wired as many long term owners contest to.

I use an Asus Rapture ROG Ax11000 with LPS.

I know some feel they cannot rely on themselves and find personal exploration stressful, so you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself.

I found no difference between wireless and wired. So, like you, I'm sticking with WiFi.
I guess you could stick an audiophile router between your modem and your wifi router. But if it’s an all in one modem/wifi box then you’re kind of screwed.

The Phoenix net actually looks like a decent switch, proper machine built magnetics for isolation, decently sized hf caps for gnd leakage, placed at the right point and a proper filtered iec inlet port. The fancy clock is bollox though.

Nice post, and agreed re clock: Innuos play it cleverly (in marketing terms) but saying something about "avoiding precision losses". Well I think you and I may have a rare point of agreement if we say that it would take a pretty dodgy clock to deliver "precision losses".

I guess you could stick an audiophile router between your modem and your wifi router. But if it’s an all in one modem/wifi box then you’re kind of screwed.
Er no, not sure about this at all. If you're going to use anything "audiophile" you want it as late in the chain as possible, surely.

advertisement

Back