advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

f on the other hand what he's saying is that his dacs are particularly sensitive to all types of noise because they're poorly designed in that respect, well.......
The Ring DAC architecture is not especially fussy about clock. It was a plus point when most IC DACs were single bit.
I don't know if he shields his products properly these days, the DPA era products were definitely poor with their non conductive cases.

The Ring DAC architecture is not especially fussy about clock. It was a plus point when most IC DACs were single bit.
I don't know if he shields his products properly these days, the DPA era products were definitely poor with their non conductive cases.

Watts has commented on the Ring DAC:

Edit: link removed

Last edited:
Is it good that I can hear over 17 kHz at 67 years of age?:)

Probably unique! And I bet the volume would need to be a long way up to achieve it too!

A music signal that does have some harmonics at 17KHz or more is going to be at a pretty low level - you are not trying to listen to dog whistles on the hifi? (well, I'm not!).

And can anyone really say up at that ear piercing screech level of frequency that there is any 'musical content' up there? Not really, I would suggest - just some 'air' or seasoning.

Thing is, I don't believe that Rob Watts has performed those listening tests via a valid methodology.

In fact I absolutely guarantee that Rob Watts can't hear shit above 13-14khz anyway, so the chances of him picking out even the effects of his own filters vs a standard brickwall filter are pretty much zero, let alone being able to hear the effects of -200db noise floor modulation.

Young ears are not required in order to hear distortion. That is one of the particular aspects of it, particularly IMD, in that it affects all parts of the frequency spectrum. I doubt that you have come to your conclusion via a rigorous analysis of the available data but have instead relied upon some deep rooted and possibly ageist prejudices. I have no idea how old you are but one day you will be the same age as those whom you now regard as worthless in terms of their ability to listen to music or judge the quality of hifi with any validity.

On the other hand I am sure Rob Watts speaks very highly of you.

I have no idea how you got that but it seems clear it is not intended for public consumption and I think it is inappropriate to post on here unless RW indicated otherwise.

It might be best to read the last paragraph first; this appears to be an internal briefing document, understandably not intended for public consumption.

Interestingly it is available at Head-Fi, where Watts keeps a sub-forum.
My bet is that he posted it. And Google found it.

:)

It proves that you can't hear the noise, it is too low, not that it can't or does/doesn't propagate.

No, I don't think it does, I think that's your expectation bias kicking in. You don't think it should and someone has presented a graph which shows what you want it to show so you're happy.

I still have a kettle. I presume you still have ears. Pop in.

Maybe we should just ask for Amir to provide an imd graph out to 200khz, then people can see how it plummets once there's nothing but insignificant noise on the output of the dac.

If its -120db at 20khz can we guess what it'll be at 100khz? More or less, go on you golden eared unicorn owners, take a guess.
I'm not sure you understand what this noise is or how people hear it. It's not some sort of low rumbling or high pitched rustling outside the audible spectrum. It's real and obvious.
Graphs are really useful if they are measuring the right things.

Regardless of source and arguments that "it's already out there", I think you should consider editing or deleting this post - and I've removed the link from my reply. This doc is clearly marked as Confidential and internal, I don't think we fishies should be playing any part in propogating it.

I'm also not sure what if anything it has to do with this thread.

Interestingly it is available at Head-Fi, where Watts keeps a sub-forum.
My bet is that he posted it. And Google found it.
That doesn't mean it is OK to repost. If it was me I would delete the link in your post and ask @camverton to delete the link in his quote of your post.

I'm not sure you understand how noise works. If thd and noise for dac is below -120db and imd similarly low there's nothing for you to hear other than signal.

Now if your dac does a lousy -90db all bets are off.

But if you were so inclined, to test your own hearing, then you might find these useful.

https://distortaudio.org/

Its utterly enlightening to find out that one doesn't have magic ears.

@Fourlegs, I'm 50, so well into my own hearing decline. There's nothing ageist about pointing out that one's hearing declines with age, so that we should take with a pinch of salt claims of amazing audio acuity from people who absolutely have age related hearing impairment.

Notice how the discussion was pushed away from facts to talk about what you cannot do and must not. That's what I meant with the "musicality" argument coming. Divert the attention away from the facts. The hard facts are there. Undeniably.
Why not send the measurement signal through some switches, a streamer etc into the DAC and check what comes out? Replace a CAT5e with a CATX, a SMPS with a linear, a normal switch with a boutique switch and so on. The guy had the gear.
That would make sense. Not 0,5 V white noise on a RJ45 port.

I give up with some of the stuff posted on here. I will start a new thread in the new year to report on my thoughts after I have borrowed the AfterDark Dela S100 switch to compare to my PhoenixNET.

I give up with some of the stuff posted on here. I will start a new thread in the new year to report on my thoughts after I have borrowed the AfterDark Dela S100 switch to compare to my PhoenixNET.
Borrow some suitable measurement gear, too. Check if there's anything there.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom