advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

That a cheap switch brought a noticeable sonic difference that was noticed by his friend who didn't know the switch was there.

Proof! :)
Thank you for that. More correctly he knew the switch was there and why but was unaware of the potential sound benefits. I kind of tricked him, and myself to be honest because I hadn’t tried it before. He just endorsed what I also heard.

Proof would be if he removed it secretly and his mate said, "I'm not sure why but this doesn't sound as good as it did a week ago..."

If your hifi's output is affected by a £12 network switch - nay, any network switch - then something's fundamentally wrong with your gear.
Difficult to do secretly, he would notice all the books on the floor and his NAS back on the shelf. He has a very fine system.

Get a longer ethernet cable. They're cheap as chips.

Take the switch out of the chain and see if he notices. (He wouldn't).

The use or position of a switch in the context of a home network makes zero audible difference. If he thinks it does then it's purely confirmation bias.

Get a longer ethernet cable. They're cheap as chips.

Take the switch out of the chain and see if he notices. (He wouldn't).

The use or position of a switch in the context of a home network makes zero audible difference. If he thinks it does then it's purely confirmation bias.
Why? As I said he doesn’t care and I got to find out if it worked and it DOES. Job done.

Proof would be if he removed it secretly and his mate said, "I'm not sure why but this doesn't sound as good as it did a week ago..."

If your hifi's output is affected by a £12 network switch - nay, any network switch - then something's fundamentally wrong with your gear.
Indeed. I would hazard that the thing that is fundamentally wrong is that it uses streaming :p

Saying your network switch being closer to your hifi improves the sound is like saying the cash in your wallet is worth more because you got it from a cashpoint down the road rather than two towns away.

It's the same value that arrives, whether we're talking cash from a cash machine or 1s and 0s to your streamer.

Saying your network switch being closer to your hifi improves the sound is like saying the cash in your wallet is worth more because you got it from a cashpoint down the road rather than two towns away.

It's the same value that arrives, whether we're talking cash from a cash machine or 1s and 0s to your streamer.
Wow, that’s a desperate analogy!

I think your analogy isn't all that great. How about:

'The cash in your wallet is worth more because you got it from a cashpoint, rather than from a dodgy bloke on the street corner'. The street corner bloke's cash is likely to have all sorts of germs and contaminants on it, and there's a stronger chance some of it may be counterfeit. The switch thing isn't about the 1s and 0s, it's about the noise that travels alongside them.

I think your analogy isn't all that great. How about:

'The cash in your wallet is worth more because you got it from a cashpoint, rather than from a dodgy bloke on the street corner'. The street corner bloke's cash is likely to have all sorts of germs and contaminants on it, and there's a stronger chance some of it may be counterfeit. The switch thing isn't about the 1s and 0s, it's about the noise that travels alongside them.

I doubt many people use actual cash nowadays ... it's all digital transactions (no need for street corner spivs either way...)

I wonder if using an ethernet switch would advantage my online banking experience ??

advertisement

Back