advertisement

Audiomods 6 or Moerch DP6 for Acespacedeck

As an aside, is there somewhere on the site where PDF's can be posted? I have2 that might be of use in this case, one is a list of what arm with what cart, the other is a price list for Moerch bit and pieces. I realise the second will change with time but.

The Hadcock 242 (stainless armtube) has an effective mass of 11.4 g

I hunted and failed to find that figure. Interesting! So far as I can see, the only difference 228 v. 242 is armtube length, so no doubt the extra effective mass comes from the effective length being 15mm longer, taking the headshell further from the pivot.

So, I had better finish the rebuild of the 242 here, to give it a listen alongside the 228.

I haven't noticed anything but SS armtubes on Hadcock arms - has anything else ever been fitted?

Can get a used DP6 from a dealer´s exhibiton. A few years old. Total time of play unkown. Mint condition.

Is there something to be exprected with the bearings or do they hold up for a lifetime?

I hunted and failed to find that figure. Interesting! So far as I can see, the only difference 228 v. 242 is armtube length, so no doubt the extra effective mass comes from the effective length being 15mm longer, taking the headshell further from the pivot.

So, I had better finish the rebuild of the 242 here, to give it a listen alongside the 228.

I haven't noticed anything but SS armtubes on Hadcock arms - has anything else ever been fitted?

Yes, early examples of the 228 came with a choice of aluminium or steel arm tube normally painted black, I can't remember where exactly I read the effective mass figure, perhaps Vinyl Engine.

This may be of interest
http://audiotools.com/en_lp_arm_v_hadcock.html

Thanks Collin and Darren,

I know, if walking along the Moerch route a blue one is needed for an AT33ptgII.
That's where I am - effective mass is about 14g if I remember rightly. The red armtube gives effective mass of around 7g.

Just to complete comments above.
After a couple of totally bird-brained screw-ups on my part, I have the GH242 mounted on the second arm position of the Hyperspace, GH228 on the primary one, both with a Delos so compaison just requires changing 2 phono plugs over.

They sound is very similar indeed, but perhaps the 242 has a better, more convincing, more "filled-in" soundstage. Maybe. More listening and comparison needed, and my expert, unknowing, unbiased listener, who'll not be around for a few days.

advertisement

Back