advertisement

Audiomods 6 or Moerch DP6 for Acespacedeck

renton76

Hello Forum,

I want to tweak my Spacedeck with a new tonearm. It should replace my Acespacearm.

What do you think? The two above are completely different. Which would you take? Would they be a significant stepup?

Many thanks
Rents

So far as I am aware, one PFMer in particular has listened to a few tonearms on NA decks and is perhaps best placed to give an answer from experience - @Darren L. Hopefully he will contribute.
As with me, he tends to favour unipivots by virtue of how they sound, rather than simply the bearing principle, although that is confused by the odd-ball nature of the Moerch bearing system.

I had a DP6 on my Ace Spacedeck and now have it on my Dais, I can only say I am very happy with it.
I've never heard any other arm so can't really answer your question.

Many thanks for the answers.

The main question for me is, if a Moerch or an Audiomods would be a significant upgrade to the Acespacearm.

@renton76 although I've tried numerous tonearms on a NA Hyperspace and found my own preferences and currently use a NA Dais with two tonearms I've never heard an Audiomods tonearm and the Moerch I heard was the UP4 (with a Jan Allerts MC) , it was excellent though I was not familiar with the cartridge.
Both the Audiomods Series 6 (10.5") and the Moerch DP6 look like interesting tonearms though very different prices, I'd expect them both to perform well, certainly different to your current NA tonearm.
At least with the NA TT is easy to fit a second tonearm which makes it easier to do a comparison.
I realise that's not much help.

I have had an Ace Space and an Anna on my Hyperspace and rated neither, even if I preferred them to my LP12 with FXR. Based on that, either of your possible arms should be an upgrade, but I've used neither.

I can get a new Moerch comparable to the price of an Audiomods. But for me the Audiomods looks way more interesting. And some say, it´ll be close to an SME. Same for the Moerch. So, what shall I do? :)

Vinny, I´ve always thought that the arm ist weak pot on the deck. It seems strange that you never see a Nottingham arm on other tables.

I´ve always thought that the arm ist weak pot on the deck.

....and for me, I found no real, significant difference Ace Space to Anna.
Not bad, just indifferent arms at the price point of the Ace Space.

I can say that I know somone who has tried a couple of SME on NA decks and they were not really taken by them, except that they were better than NA tonearms.

Choices, choices eh? I have heard/used neither, nor SME, so I'd be going on gut feel after reading around a lot, plus I buy second-hand almost exclusively, so a financial loss if I buy a turkey is going to be unlikely.

I had never heard of Audiomods but I see that the Moerch costs over twice as much, maybe that's a consideration for you.

Unless you personally know people who have turntables it's very difficult to experience different arms. I did quite a bit of reading on forums and saw a few pointers to the synergy between the NA decks and Moerch tonearms, so that's the direction I took and to be honest see no reason to ever change the arm. I'm very pleased with it and now just get on with the pleasure of listening to music.

I had never heard of Audiomods but I see that the Moerch costs over twice as much, maybe that's a consideration for you.

The OP has said that they have options on both arms at a similar price.

So far as changing things is concerned, that is back to the old upgraditis. For me that comes down to cost as much as anything and that can be rather little if buying second-hand, except the outlay betwen buying and selling if you want to do a genuine side-by-side.

I had an LP12 with an Ittok bought well over 30 years ago for something like £475. It now has an FXR on it - cost of change (via 3 other arms) about £400, so not huge money, and that when I broke my own rule and bought the FXR new.

I bought a spotless ex dem' hyperspace with tonearm and sold the tonearm, so the deck has cost me around £15-1600. Fortunatley I already had an unused tonearm that I much prefer to the NA tonearm. So, again, not a HUGE cost, around half the quoted new price.

I can get a new Moerch comparable to the price of an Audiomods. But for me the Audiomods looks way more interesting. And some say, it´ll be close to an SME. Same for the Moerch. So, what shall I do? :)

Personally if it was me I would opt for the Moerch tonearm.

About 20 years ago when I bought the Hyperspace it came with a rewired Rega RB300 to get it up and running, I bought a second arm base and mounted a Hadcock 242se I owned, tried both arms with Lyra Argo, WB Ply and Dynavector 17D MC cartridges, I preferred the Hadcock, sold the Rega arm and bought a Roksan Tabriz ZI , once again preferred the Hadcock, sold the the Roksan and bought a NA Mentor tonearm, again preferred the Hadcock, sold the NA tonearm and bought a SME iV, again I preferred the Hadcock, upgraded the SME iv but still preferred the Hadcock despite all the rave reviews and price, (I was very surprised, believing the SME to be a top tonearm) but I sold the SME iv and bought an SME M2-10, this came close and I really liked the M2 but still marginally preferred the Hadcock.
None of the above tonearms were damaged or sounded bad and the results of my trials were subjective and just came down to personal preference.
I used all the above tonearms with the cartridges listed above. Phonostages used during this time were Dino +, Diablo and EAR 834, I preferred the EAR, although the solid state stages were quieter.

The OP has said that they have options on both arms at a similar price.

Sorry Vinny, I missed that. So in fact if he can get them at the same price does that not mean the Moerch is an absolute bargain.

ersonally if it was me I would opt for the Moerch tonearm.

About 20 years ago when I bought the Hyperspace it came with a rewired Rega RB300 to get it up and running, I bought a second arm base and mounted a Hadcock 242se I owned, tried both arms with Lyra Argo, WB Ply and Dynavector 17D MC cartridges, I preferred the Hadcock, sold the Rega arm and bought a Roksan Tabriz ZI , once again preferred the Hadcock, sold the the Roksan and bought a NA Mentor tonearm, again preferred the Hadcock, sold the NA tonearm and bought a SME iV, again I preferred the Hadcock, upgraded the SME iv but still preferred the Hadcock despite all the rave reviews and price, (I was very surprised, believing the SME to be a top tonearm) but I sold the SME iv and bought an SME M2-10, this came close and I really liked the M2 but still marginally preferred the Hadcock.
None of the above tonearms were damaged or sounded bad and the results of my trials were subjective and just came down to personal preference.
I used all the above tonearms with the cartridges listed above. Phonostages used during this time were Dino +, Diablo and EAR 834, I preferred the EAR, although the solid state stages were quieter.

So Darren L, synergy is all.

Sorry Vinny, I missed that. So in fact if he can get them at the same price does that not mean the Moerch is an absolute bargain.

Nay problem :)

I would say go with the Moerch on two counts - as you suggest, seemingly a bargain, plus gut feel.

advertisement

Back