advertisement

Audiomods 6 or Moerch DP6 for Acespacedeck

Is this Moerch DP6 actually in a higher league than the Kuzma Stogi S 9" unipivot tonearm?
I
wonder

Is this Moerch DP6 actually in a higher league than the Kuzma Stogi S 9" unipivot tonearm?
I wonder

LOL - is everything HiFi not opinion and personal preferences and biases? :)

For sure it is one of the (near? totally?) unique designs in HiFi - the bearing - details easily found online - is effectively two "pins" sitting on a sort of thrust bearing, if you were to use common engineering terms.

Not meaning to put second thoughts on OP @renton76 :)
I had the question to maybe consider the Kuzma arms too but coming late to the party. I reckon the OP made a spot on decision already.
@Vinny Of course much is due to personal preference and bias... as a NAS+Stogi S 9" owner (with AT VM740ML) in the learning process and looking for improvements, my intervention is biased itself :D
despite not having experience with the other mentioned arms except with my first arm - a Jelco 250ST type - which was definitely not as good as the Stogi on the NAS..

and here's where direct experience of other users might make the difference, if they feel like to share.

I find It will be interesting to hear about the OP experience whether he will share about it when the new tonearm will be in place.

So Darren L, synergy is all.

Perhaps synergy had a part to play though the Hadcock worked well on an early wood surround Rega Planar, STD 305M and a Thorens TD160b Mk2 as well as the Hyperspace and currently is mounted on the Dais.
So all quite different TT designs.
Whether the Hadcock's ability is down to geometry or perhaps the adjustability allowing exact set up I don't know, I just know it performs way beyond its price point.
The Brinkmann 10.0 is the first tonearm I've tried that has not lost anything out in comparison and produces a wider, deeper soundstage with more detail throughout, as well as having a top build quality, fit and finish.

Hello Geoturbo and all,

I´m in again. My dealer cancelled the order. Big fun. :-/

I´ve been considering the Stogi S, but have one probem: It´s a bit too light.

My actual cart is an AT33ptgII with 30 hours of play.

My dealer cancelled the order.

!!!

Buy a used Hadcock, save some money - DarrenL is not the only one who really rates them. If you go for used, be VERY careful, buy the recent design as that is simple to set up compared to previous incarnations. It may take a while to find though.

Buy a used Hadcock, save some money - DarrenL is not the only one who really rates them. If you go for used, be VERY careful, buy the recent design as that is simple to set up compared to previous incarnations. It may take a while to find though.

Sounds a good idea to me.

Vinny, Colin to you know the arm´s mass?

Nothing against the Hadock, but is there nothing comparable, affordable with a bit more decent bling bling?

Nothing against the Hadock, but is there nothing comparable, affordable with a bit more decent bling bling?

Visually the current Hadcocks are finished in bright chrome with a blacked headshell, which look just fine to me, but then I have never listened to what anything looks like.

Hadcock arms also use what was a unique bearing principle, until one of the johnny-come-lately high end manufacturers recently decided that they had invented it.

Besides, I picked up a badly described near new 224 for £280 only 3-4 weeks back. (I use a 228 currently.)

On the other hand, there is this insane bargain, albeit an old design - FS: Hadcock 228 Super Arm Uni-Lift MK III (theartofsound.net)

228 effective mass is around 6-7g. Mine works very nicely with a Delos.
I suspect that the 224 is almost exactly the same as the extra armtube length is all but insignificant in terms of effective mass.

I'm using the 'lesser' UP4 and it works amazingly with my AT33PTG/II. The ability to change the armtube is an excellent feature.

Vinny, thanks for your efforts. Únfortunately the mass is too low for the AT cart.

Myles, the prices for the UP4 are rising. Still worth it? Not that I can`t afford, but I think the actual prices are pointing in a wrong direction.

Could watch the whole thing in the RC plane scene. Over here it is nearly dead, because the manufacturers tried to compensate reduced production numbers by increasing the prices.

Interesting that it works. With 10 you should be at 13 Hz.

I always find that ears are a far better guide than maths and tables. :)

I was sort of speaking tongue in cheek about Hadcock, Darren and me really like them, and just a small number of others here, but lots of people do struggle with them, for reasons that we who like them, do not really understand.

Vinny, thanks for your efforts. Únfortunately the mass is too low for the AT cart.

Myles, the prices for the UP4 are rising. Still worth it? Not that I can`t afford, but I think the actual prices are pointing in a wrong direction.

Could watch the whole thing in the RC plane scene. Over here it is nearly dead, because the manufacturers tried to compensate reduced production numbers by increasing the prices.
I'd say if the whole Moerch range is rising in cost/value then it's still worth it but you need to aim as high as you can afford. I'm really pleased with mine, and any lack of bass associated with a unipivot are not evident here.

and any lack of bass associated with a unipivot are not evident here.

Is the UP4 a unipivot? The DP6 is not.

I ran my 2328 alongside an ARO and a very significant part of the reason that the ARO went PDQ, was because it had masses more, more musical, bass than the ARO. But then the Hadcock bearing is only pseudo-unipivot.

advertisement

Back