advertisement

Audio Technica VM540ML vs other MM cartridge

My favourite AT MM cartridge is the 740 ML over the 750 SH.
The 740 is a posher, lusher 540. I have both and the 740 is a little better at imaging and brighter (and nicer looking, but that red stylus support is not so nice :)).
It works incredibly well on an old Thorens TP16, as an aside – ideal for those who have a TD126 for example.
It also works really nicely on Dual ULM tonearms – but so does the AT-VM95!
I have a 540 on my Dual 1229 and really enjoy it, but I chose a VM95SH for my TD160/tp16 since it's a lower compliance cart which I thought would be a better mate to the higher mass of the tp16 (higher mass relative to the low mass Dual arm). The 540/740 is high compliance -- do you think it's a good match for the medium mass tp16? If so I'd love to try it on the thorens.

A bit surprised your ranking 520EB over 95SH.
I run a 95SH, maybe I should try a 5xx or 7xx .. but was about to order a AT150SA

I suppose my thinking is that the 520 gives you better separation across the whole record. The 95SH might pull ahead for high frequencies in those last few grooves, but styluses come and go, whereas a good cartridge is worth hanging on to. A 540ML is significantly better than any VM95 IMO so a 520 is a step in the right direction. I switched to 520EB from 95SH recently, and frankly it was a relief to return to a wider, more resolved soundstage and detail. The cartridge body/motor is more fundamental than the diamond, it seems to me.

I own and have used a bunch of AT carts over the years -currently use AT-VM95 ,540 ML ,750 S and a old AT-15 with a NOS ATN-15xe stylus in it. These all have a house sound - brightly illuminated highs (which you either really like/or not). I do think the 540ML is a remarkably good cartridge for the dollar outlay. But push come to shove-prefer the Goldring 1042. All of these except the AT15 have OEM styli still available -a BIG advantage over trying to find the exact replacement for a cart/stylus not made in 30 or 40 years. And that means that there is no reason to keep running a stylus well past it's ragged edges -much better for your records.

I have a 540 on my Dual 1229 and really enjoy it, but I chose a VM95SH for my TD160/tp16 since it's a lower compliance cart which I thought would be a better mate to the higher mass of the tp16 (higher mass relative to the low mass Dual arm). The 540/740 is high compliance -- do you think it's a good match for the medium mass tp16? If so I'd love to try it on the thorens.
Yes, by all means do try it!

I'm curious as to how you managed to get VM95 mounted to TP-16. Is it a TP-60 headshell (i.e. TP-16 MkI tonearm)?

When TD-160C was released, Thorens made a big deal about the TP-16 (MkI) tonearm being suitable for high compliance cartridges with 'ultra low tracking force'. IME, high-compliance cartridge compatibility can be as much down to bearing quality/friction levels as it is to tonearm effective mass vs. cartridge compliance/weight. The general consensus is that the effective mass of TP-16 MkI is 16.5g, however, mass distribution also plays a large part here. For example, a much heavier cartridge than the plastic mounting plate VM models will have the standard counterweight much further out from the bearings (i.e. moment of inertia involves both ends). Regardless, I've run everything from Ortofon MC20 through to über-high compliance 70s MMs on TP-16 with superb results. Keep in mind that VM540ML is only 6.4g, even less with the flip-down stylus guard removed.

I'm curious as to how you managed to get VM95 mounted to TP-16. Is it a TP-60 headshell (i.e. TP-16 MkI tonearm)?

When TD-160C was released, Thorens made a big deal about the TP-16 (MkI) tonearm being suitable for high compliance cartridges with 'ultra low tracking force'. IME, high-compliance cartridge compatibility can be as much down to bearing quality/friction levels as it is to tonearm effective mass vs. cartridge compliance/weight. The general consensus is that the effective mass of TP-16 MkI is 16.5g, however, mass distribution also plays a large part here. For example, a much heavier cartridge than the plastic mounting plate VM models will have the standard counterweight much further out from the bearings (i.e. moment of inertia involves both ends). Regardless, I've run everything from Ortofon MC20 through to über-high compliance 70s MMs on TP-16 with superb results. Keep in mind that VM540ML is only 6.4g, even less with the flip-down stylus guard removed.
Thanks for the info regarding compliance.

Yes, I’m using the TP-60 headshell with the VM95. When I was researching carts for the TD160, I read many posts saying that the VM95 can’t be mounted to the TP-60 without mods, but the only thing I had to do to make it work was use different screws. I planned on getting an after-market headshell for the TP16 (there are a couple compatible headshells available that allow for top-mounting carts), but there was no need as the VM95 mounted to the stock headshell as easy as any cart I’ve ever installed. It sounds incredible for a $200 cartridge on the Thorens. I ran several decent mid-level carts on my Rega RP3 including an AT 150MLX, Hana SL, and Rega Ania, but the VM95 on the TD160 sounds better to me than any of these carts did on the Rega. I’m not saying the VM95 is better than those other carts, just that its combination with the TD160 is superior to those carts with the RP3 to my ears (and the RP3 was upgraded with Groovetracer subplatter and delrin patter, and TTPSU).

HtbQEVa.jpg

Yes, I’m using the TP-60 headshell with the VM95. When I was researching carts for the TD160, I read many posts saying that the VM95 can’t be mounted to the TP-60 without mods, but the only thing I had to do to make it work was use different screws. I planned on getting an after-market headshell for the TP16 (there are a couple compatible headshells available that allow for top-mounting carts), but there was no need as the VM95 mounted to the stock headshell as easy as any cart I’ve ever installed. It sounds incredible for a $200 cartridge on the Thorens. I ran several decent mid-level carts on my Rega RP3 including an AT 150MLX, Hana SL, and Rega Ania, but the VM95 on the TD160 sounds better to me than any of these carts did on the Rega. I’m not saying the VM95 is better than those other carts, just that its combination with the TD160 is superior to those carts with the RP3 to my ears (and the RP3 was upgraded with Groovetracer subplatter and delrin patter, and TTPSU).

HtbQEVa.jpg
Your TD160 appears to be in really nice condition.

I assume that you used the original Thorens M2 headshell screws, and managed to have them not engage the captive M2.6 threaded inserts within the VM95 cartridge body.

This is of interest to me as I have a minty TD-166 MkII with TP-11 Mk III here that takes the same M2 screws, albeit threaded into holes within the finger lift from below, in this case.

Your TD160 appears to be in really nice condition.

I assume that you used the original Thorens M2 headshell screws, and managed to have them not engage the captive M2.6 threaded inserts within the VM95 cartridge body.

This is of interest to me as I have a minty TD-166 MkII with TP-11 Mk III here that takes the same M2 screws, albeit threaded into holes within the finger lift from below, in this case.
Thanks! I was fortunate to find one in such good condition. I can't remember for sure if those are the screws that came with the headshell but you're probably right about that.

Thanks! I was fortunate to find one in such good condition. I can't remember for sure if those are the screws that came with the headshell but you're probably right about that.
Your headshell certainly appears to be stock. There is a 2 x M2 threaded metal plate that sits within a slotted recess in the headshell casting, with the stick-on Thorens label holding this captive. Both the threaded plate and label used to be available as parts should one or both of the threads have become stripped.

Thorens-TP-60-threaded-plate-detail.jpg

Last edited:

HtbQEVa.jpg

Really interested to read this. @rischa, are you using spacers/shims in between the AT and the headshell? If so what size?

advertisement

Back