advertisement

Audio Technica VM540ML vs other MM cartridge

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear all,
sorry, I would like to know if you have had any experience with the Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge in comparison to similarly priced cartridges (Goldring 1022/1042, Ortofon 2M Blue/Bronze, Denon DL-110) or higher (Hana EH, Ortofon 2M Black, Nagaoka MP150/200).

Many thanks.
Mauro

Hello, I had most of the above, my thoughts.
Goldring 1042, great cartridge with a Croft Micro or valves in general, didn't care much for SS, 2M blue, again great with valves and good with a Project DS, needs a long run in and then really opens up.
Denon DL 110 was ok not something I would go back to. Audio Technica 440 ml, the closest to the 540, very nice with the right loading, detailed, punchy not as in your face as some claim, I liked it but then I switched to an AT F7 moving coil, much better.
I now use the Nagaoka mp110, more than happy with this cartridge so can only guess that the 150 or 200 to be a step up, of course it all depends on your phono stage and how it's loaded. Good luck.

I use a VM740ML on my Thorens TD 160, one of the best cartridges I’ve ever had, MM or MC. It beats my DL 103 hands down as regards detail retrieval.

I had Goldrings in the past, MM (1022 GX) and MC (Eroica LX) models, but I found them boring in the end, and not that good trackers.
The ML is a fantastic tracker, especially at the end of the side of an old record. It can even retrieve treble up there.

Also enjoying the excellent tracking abilities and lack of distortion with the VM95SH on inner grooves.

MM/MI Grado have a huge range £75 to £10k + & make some of the best sounding cartridges at any price Big fan & used them for decades

I’ve got the 540, 2m blue and mp110 here with a 1210gr. Preference can be system dependent, although the 2m blue is always the bottom of the three. It’s ok at first but I just find the presentation lacking emotion, just all a bit mechanical.

The mp110 is richer sounding but not as detailed as either of the other carts. I also appear to have static issues with it on the technics, getting random pops and clicks that I don’t get with the other two.

I could have quite happily lived with the presentation of the 110 until I got a 440 and then now a 540, which when loaded correctly just ticks pretty much all boxes.

I’d like to hear higher up the nag food chain at some point as I like the presentation but would like a bit more of the 540 qualities.

I’ve got the 540, 2m blue and mp110 here with a 1210gr. Preference can be system dependent, although the 2m blue is always the bottom of the three. It’s ok at first but I just find the presentation lacking emotion, just all a bit mechanical.

The mp110 is richer sounding but not as detailed as either of the other carts. I also appear to have static issues with it on the technics, getting random pops and clicks that I don’t get with the other two.

I could have quite happily lived with the presentation of the 110 until I got a 440 and then now a 540, which when loaded correctly just ticks pretty much all boxes.

I’d like to hear higher up the nag food chain at some point as I like the presentation but would like a bit more of the 540 qualities.
I also had a Nagaoka MP300 once. And I had the same problem with clicks, which was very annoying.

I have the Vm95ml and agree with everyone’s comments. It’s truly wonderful. I switched from an Ortofon Red on the main deck after replacing the Concords on my DJ turntables with Audio Technica DJ cartridges which sounded much better. First tried a 95e after hearing good things but didn’t think much, swapped the stylus to the ML and everything changed.

The downside, I’ve spent more on vinyl in the last year than the previous decade.

I had the AT-VM540ML mounted for many months but have gone back to my G1042. I prefer its warmer balance over the AT's more sterile presentation. The G1042 presents a believable 3D soundstage.

I think it's almost impossible to give blanket recommendations on cartridges because they're so taste and system dependent. Audio Technica MM carts are great but if their sonic signature doesn't suit then you ain't gonna like them.

The VM540ML gives a different presentation to the VM95ML, more HIFI, more Audio Technica. It has a much finer cantilever and softer suspension and definitely gives more of an MC vibe with better separation and much finer textures. It throws up a bigger soundstage and bigger images in general over the cheaper cart.
The VM95ML however isn’t as brightly lit at the top end and is very balanced and cohesive, with more saturated tonal colours and leaves you to just enjoy the music. For 90% of my listening I prefer it to the VM540ML. I can’t enjoy classical with it though, it sounds coarse and gritty whereas the VM540ML is sweet, clean and clear. Tracking is superb with either though. I found the 1042 excellent in many ways but a had a slight “vintage” voicing which I didn’t gel with.

I've been listening to VM95EB, VM95SH, VM520EB and VM540ML over the last year, as well as Shure M97xE JICO SAS/B.

I would rank the ATs like this
VM95EB < VM95SH < VM520EB < VM540ML

To be fair I have a configurable phono stage and 5-way active speakers, so I can tweak frequency response reasonably accurately, hence that aspect doesn't really affect my judgement much.

The 520EB took a bit of running in but came good.

I certainly recall that the 540ML sounds cleaner and more real with classical.

The 540ML is up there with the Shure M97xE JICO/SAS. These two cartridges keep me off expensive moving coils. They both have a certain vivacity.

I also have a 2M Black (+ Red stylus) but don't use them much. Maybe they are a touch academic, but I'm not really sure why.

My favourite AT MM cartridge is the 740 ML over the 750 SH.
The 740 is a posher, lusher 540. I have both and the 740 is a little better at imaging and brighter (and nicer looking, but that red stylus support is not so nice :)).
It works incredibly well on an old Thorens TP16, as an aside – ideal for those who have a TD126 for example.
It also works really nicely on Dual ULM tonearms – but so does the AT-VM95!

I've been listening to VM95EB, VM95SH, VM520EB and VM540ML over the last year, as well as Shure M97xE JICO SAS/B.

I would rank the ATs like this
VM95EB < VM95SH < VM520EB < VM540ML

To be fair I have a configurable phono stage and 5-way active speakers, so I can tweak frequency response reasonably accurately, hence that aspect doesn't really affect my judgement much.

The 520EB took a bit of running in but came good.

I certainly recall that the 540ML sounds cleaner and more real with classical.

The 540ML is up there with the Shure M97xE JICO/SAS. These two cartridges keep me off expensive moving coils. They both have a certain vivacity.

I also have a 2M Black (+ Red stylus) but don't use them much. Maybe they are a touch academic, but I'm not really sure why.

A bit surprised your ranking 520EB over 95SH.
I run a 95SH, maybe I should try a 5xx or 7xx .. but was about to order a AT150SA

advertisement

Back