advertisement

Audio Technica Moving Coil cartridges compared

Isn't the 33 PTG supposed to be similar money to OC9 but quite a lot nicer sounding while maintaining the great tracking? Seem to remember the 33 being flavour of the month on PFM a while back..

The main difference is the body. They sound and measure almost identically. The 9/II is perhaps a smidge brighter.

The main difference is the body. They sound and measure almost identically. The 9/II is perhaps a smidge brighter.

The AT 33EV has a fuller and somewhat darker tone but the tracking is quite poor in comparison, a very enjoyable sound though and I can see why some prefer it to the oc9.

I much prefer the 33PTG over the OC9 by a wide margin. The 33 is livelier and reproduces dynamic range better. Both sound a bit on the bright side.

The 33EV is a different animal despite its name. The stylus is not microline and the sound is less bright and fuller bodied. Depends on what you like. Tracking in the inner grooves is not so great.

I've had all 3 in my system. I now use a Denon 103 variant but I do like the AT33 and have used several versions for years. But I do not care for the OC9.

Of all the carts which don t inspire me i d take AT anyday
Benz or shelter are nice carta to have when funds allow.

Shelter May be the weakest but along with Benz,lyra ,trasfiguration and a few others what you get is musical carts,Just fit and forget.
At, dynas, ortofon,and many more are, instead, good hi-fi carts

The AT moving coils are flat and tuneless to a man
And have no place on an lp12.

If you can't live with the klydes presentation I'd recommend something from dynavector or Lyra.

I partly agree allthough a Klyde is quite a disaster, at least the two I've heard

On budget with LP12, I'd pick an Adikt or other MM types, no idea if Xerxes is compareable to this conclusion

I've heard Adikt through Lejonklou phonostage walked over some MC solutions

MC is not allways THE solution

Never loved the AT carts. The OC9 is good value, and the 33PTG is "fine" I guess but like a wine, I prefer something with a personality, point of view, and distinct flavor rather than something kind of catch-all and flat.

I have loved the dynavectors (a good example of the personality thing is that, having owned an XX1L, XX2 and XX2 mk 2, they got 'better' but the XX1mk1 had something special about it), and presently a delos which is I think a cut above.

I haven't heard recent offerings from Ortofon but they also have some real life in them and, the AC90 was amazing.(I did hear that). (I think it was an AT90, the one with the skeletel body)

advertisement

Back