advertisement

Audio Technica Moving Coil cartridges compared

maccavelli

pfm Member
Hello, I'm currently listening to an AT OC7 that has been loaned to me. I have to say, I absolutely love it. Great cartridge, heaps better than the Klyde I have been using.
I am considering buying an OC9 now. Can some tell me from experience how much better the 9 is over the 7?

Also, the OC9 is in its MKIII guise, is there much difference sonically between the II and the newer III.

My turntable is a Xerxes 20+ with DXP power supply and Primare R32 phono stage and suitable revealing equipment around it. So hearing the difference between carts is clear and obvious so if there is a worthwhile difference between models I should have no trouble hearing it.

Thanks in advance.

If buying the OC9, which is a superb cartridge if you prefer a subtly more brightly lit balance, then go for the Mk2. This has the far superior MicroLine stylus profile.
Many new ATs are sporting rather average line contact styli, likely because the ML tips are getting very expensive and difficult to source. These line contact tips are perfectly OK but not to the standard of the MicroLine.

The basic character of the 9 is the same as the 7. The 9 resolves high frequencies better and is far better on the inner tracks of the LP thanks to the stylus profile.

The AT33PTG(2) is virtually the same cartridge in a different body and is a fine alternative.

Thanks for this Robert. I am so taken with this OC7 I almost feel that buying something supposedly better may somehow spoil the feeling I have with this one. It's such a capable cart. I've been offered a very good condition MkII '9 for £200. Worth getting?

Yep. It wouldn't be my own choice but then nor would the 7 - but if you like the 7 I would say £200 is a very good price for a good condition mk2 9.

Hello, I'm currently listening to an AT OC7 that has been loaned to me. I have to say, I absolutely love it. Great cartridge, heaps better than the Klyde I have been using.
I am considering buying an OC9 now. Can some tell me from experience how much better the 9 is over the 7?

I prefer the OC7 to OC9 as the latter are often too brittle/bright/analytical even they have some advantages I'd stick to OC7 (or AT33 which is a peach if you can afford them)
(The Klyde is strange, guess the Krystal's are much better too but at a price)

Go for the oc9 MLII, the tracking right to the end of side is fantastic, incredible detail, yes it's a lighter tonality which I know many don't like but it seems to suit my current system. I enjoy listening at moderate listening levels and this is perfect.

Go for the oc9 MLII, the tracking right to the end of side is fantastic, incredible detail, yes it's a lighter tonality which I know many don't like but it seems to suit my current system. I enjoy listening at moderate listening levels and this is perfect.

++1

A superb cartridge that tracks perfectly right to the end of the inner grooves.

I also think that the alleged "lightness" is only an issue with bass-light amps/speakers.

I'm on my fourth and in my system (LP12/Plateau/Ittok/OC9 11/Prefix/Hicap/NAC52/TSC/2 x Avondale NAP250s/Kudos Titans) it has a fantastic, deep and very controlled bass.

FYI-Audio-Technica's UK Recommended Retail Pricing will be changing on August 1st 2016.
Prices will be increased due to the ongoing state of the pound is the given reason.

FYI-Audio-Technica's UK Recommended Retail Pricing will be changing on August 1st 2016.
Prices will be increased due to the ongoing state of the pound is the given reason.

LP Gear in the US is selling the OC9/11 for $344USD and the postage isn't huge either.

A ridiculous bargain.

The OC9 Mkii at £200 is a bargain if it has been well looked after.
I have one on my LP12 with Ittok and it is a brilliant match.
I have also used one on a high mass deck with Tabriz and audiomods arms and have great results with both.
Can't say I've noticed this brittle sound some talk about. I think it is a great cart fir the money

++1

A superb cartridge that tracks perfectly right to the end of the inner grooves.

I also think that the alleged "lightness" is only an issue with bass-light amps/speakers.

I'm on my fourth and in my system (LP12/Plateau/Ittok/OC9 11/Prefix/Hicap/NAC52/TSC/2 x Avondale NAP250s/Kudos Titans) it has a fantastic, deep and very controlled bass.

Yes the bass is excellent and fluid to boot, I have LV Avatars and find the balance and presentation just right for me, being unforced, I think also using an SUT (T10) adds a touch of warmth.

Yes the bass is excellent and fluid to boot, I have LV Avatars and find the balance and presentation just right for me, being unforced, I think also using an SUT (T10) adds a touch of warmth.

The lightness factor on AT moving coils is somewhat exaggerated and not really supported in reality. There is some characteristic top end lift, but its about 2-3 dB up above 15kHz. Subjectively is just adds a little air and makes the balance a tad more brightly lit, but it's subtle. The rest of the range is flat within about 1dB from around 100Hz - 10kHz.

What AT's lack are the presence range suck-put common to many cartridges and this needs consideration if the system has been balanced accordingly.

The AT moving coils are flat and tuneless to a man
And have no place on an lp12.

If you can't live with the klydes presentation I'd recommend something from dynavector or Lyra.

Thanks for this Robert. I am so taken with this OC7 I almost feel that buying something supposedly better may somehow spoil the feeling I have with this one. It's such a capable cart. I've been offered a very good condition MkII '9 for £200. Worth getting?

hmm always suspicious of 2nd hand cartridges - you never know how many hours has been used and you really taking persons word - do the readers here log the hours of cartridge use?

Isn't the 33 PTG supposed to be similar money to OC9 but quite a lot nicer sounding while maintaining the great tracking? Seem to remember the 33 being flavour of the month on PFM a while back..

advertisement

Back