advertisement

Audio Fidelity : Close to the Edge

It is available now in the US. Getting great reviews for the mastering but the artwork is getting a pounding. Got mine on order though not my favourite Yes album by a long way.

Mine arrived in the UK on Wednesday (I'm a subscriber). It does sound good, but have nothing to compare it against, which I appreciate is not particularly helpful!

Tales from Topographic Oceans became the first album in the UK to earn a gold certification prior to its release. It reached number-one on the UK Albums Chart for two weeks and peaked at number 6 on the Billboard 200.
Times have changed.

I like Tales from Topographic Oceans, yet I still feel a little guilty stating this due to the fanatical year zero re-programming of minds that took place in the late 70s.

...yet by 1980 most "punks" (who took on board things like Iconoclasm over uniform and conformity) moved on and were listening to outright hippy bands like Gong...
I'd like a 5.1 of Close to the Edge its a dense enough recording to really benefit from a proper 5.1 (rather than an unpacked, simulated surround mix)

another remastering of a dinosaur band.
and marketed towards audiophiles.
it is no wonder all audiophiles listen to the same 20 albums:D

When I get the centre channel in and calibrated I am unrepentantly eyeing up the 5.1 of Tubular Bells, "one of one of the most influential albums ever recorded."

Teddy, which influential albums have you recorded? I don't see a CV of yours anywhere.

I've been playing Tubular Bells a lot over the last fortnight on LP and CD - in fact I've just spun it again
after your post!

Now forty-three quid on Amazon UK! I've ordered a copy from Amazon.com, twenty-odd quid, delivered. I'll have a bit of a wait though...

When there still where record shops everywhere, a pal of my ventured into one and snatched a copy of some early Yes. He went to the counter to pay, the clerk behind held the record up in the air and shouted 'Here is someone buying a Yes album!'. Everybody laughed, except my friend who quickly left with ears burning. JohanR

Something very similar happened to me many years ago when I was in a record shop (yes they did exist) in East London with a friend. I had recently been very pleasantly surprised at just how accomplished a guitarist Sacha Distel was, so when I came across one of his albums ('My Guitar And All That Jazz' - I think it was) I pulled it out and took it to the counter, my friend was looking at me oddly and smirking in disdainful disbelief. The chap behind the counter said rather loudly some pointed disparaging remarks along the lines of 'Wow, someone's actually buying this, I don't believe it'.

Payback time was when I got the album home and played it, my friends face was a picture, he couldn't believe what great guitar licks the man was playing. I ribbed him for quite a while about not judging a book (or album) by its cover - so to speak.

Now forty-three quid on Amazon UK! I've ordered a copy from Amazon.com, twenty-odd quid, delivered. I'll have a bit of a wait though...

That's what I did early doors: my order equates to £18 (still a bit much for something I already have).

I finally got my hands on my copy of this. Sounds superb and night-and-day better than my Jap SHM copy.

Unfortunately I got stung for an extra £11.95p,- VAT plus RM's handling charge. Sod it...:mad:

Bit unlucky: got mine from Amazon.com, no extra charges.

And yes, it does sound excellent...

If you like the album I'm prepared to bet that will be the best sounding digital mastering of it by a country mile (the current Yes CDs are apparently awful). I bet it will be a great investment too, a lot of Hoffman stuff deservedly becomes very valuable - I've got a fair pile of DCC vinyl (3xDoors, Pet Sounds, Surealistic Pillow, Aqualung, Made In Japan etc) and none has done less than triple in value since I bought it new back in the late '90s. Yes fans are almost as obsessive as Beatles fans, so I can see this SACD being a good punt long-term even if you just fancy keeping it sealed on a shelf.

That's a fairly distressing albeit true 'profiteering' observation to read on a music thread. Regardless of how much I spend on rare/sealed items they get opened and played :confused:.

advertisement

Back