advertisement

Audio Fidelity : Close to the Edge

Gerard124

pfm Member
Wondering if I should take a punt of the new Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD/CD release of Close to the Edge?

Out on 4th of March and Mastered by Steve Hoffman - Amazon Link

YES-CloseToEdgeMockup.preview.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Been watching the thread on SH and I quite fancy this myself.
Could I rip the sacd in my linux dvd drive?

another remastering of a dinosaur band.

and marketed towards audiophiles.

it is no wonder all audiophiles listen to the same 20 albums:D

When there still where record shops everywhere, a pal of my ventured into one and snatched a copy of some early Yes. He went to the counter to pay, the clerk behind held the record up in the air and shouted 'Here is someone buying a Yes album!'. Everybody laughed, except my friend who quickly left with ears burning.

JohanR

When there still where record shops everywhere, a pal of my ventured into one and snatched a copy of some early Yes. He went to the counter to pay, the clerk behind held the record up in the air and shouted 'Here is someone buying a Yes album!'. Everybody laughed, except my friend who quickly left with ears burning.

JohanR

And who were the idiots in this scenario? Definitely not your friend!

They probably all own the SACD version now.:D

Never understood the 'dinosaur' tag or why people get so upset about this kind of thing. There's music you like, music you don't.

All Yes have done is recorded albums that some people love and have the temerity to still keep on doing it. Why the hostility? Jealousy? It's not like they've invaded another country and killed hundreds and thousands of people.

I wont be getting it. I have the original LP.

Stephen

It's not like they've invaded another country and killed hundreds and thousands of people.

Oh no, far worse. They released "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

[edit]

For balance, I would like to point out I am a Yes fan, just not that monstrosity or the one that followed, "Relayer".

I know what Teddy's saying.... there just so much old stuff being repackaged and re-released again and again, as the record companies try to eke out every last penny from old product.

I mean - Fleetwood mac's Rumours 35th anniversary edition, then there will be 40th etc... who hasn't already got it? Same with Peter Gabriel's So... and so many others.

And so much discussion on this forum and others devoted to which is the best re-release of the same old stuff.

It was very refreshing to see a couple of recent threads about recent new music.

Wondering if I should take a punt of the new Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD/CD release of Close to the Edge?

If you like the album I'm prepared to bet that will be the best sounding digital mastering of it by a country mile (the current Yes CDs are apparently awful). I bet it will be a great investment too, a lot of Hoffman stuff deservedly becomes very valuable - I've got a fair pile of DCC vinyl (3xDoors, Pet Sounds, Surealistic Pillow, Aqualung, Made In Japan etc) and none has done less than triple in value since I bought it new back in the late '90s. Yes fans are almost as obsessive as Beatles fans, so I can see this SACD being a good punt long-term even if you just fancy keeping it sealed on a shelf.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They're usually about £25. Might treat myself to this one. The MoFi 'Yes Album' I bought is quite superb.
I have a Mofi download of Fragile also very good, I am amazed at how much I have to turn up the volume listening to that version compared to the re-mastered cd version that I also have..

I know what Teddy's saying.... there just so much old stuff being repackaged and re-released again and again, as the record companies try to eke out every last penny from old product.

That I agree with - to an extent. I think it's great that we can now get long lost 'classics' now though - stuff that would have disappeared in the past.

Stephen

another remastering of a dinosaur band.

and marketed towards audiophiles.

it is no wonder all audiophiles listen to the same 20 albums:D

If da kidz gave a flying ferret about sound quality I dare say we'd see the Panda Bear back catalogue re-released on SACD too.

It was available direct to AF subscribers late last year, but the (US) street release has been listed as 5th March for ages.

If you like the album I'm prepared to bet that will be the best sounding digital mastering of it by a country mile (the current Yes CDs are apparently awful). I bet it will be a great investment too, a lot of Hoffman stuff deservedly becomes very valuable - I've got a fair pile of DCC vinyl (3xDoors, Pet Sounds, Surealistic Pillow, Aqualung, Made In Japan etc) and none has done less than triple in value since I bought it new back in the late '90s. Yes fans are almost as obsessive as Beatles fans, so I can see this SACD being a good punt long-term even if you just fancy keeping it sealed on a shelf.

Yes it's an old favourite of mine so good to hear you expect it to be the best sounding digital version.

advertisement

Back