advertisement

ATC SCM11s Are Driving Me Crazy (Naim Amps)

Stewart, coming to that conclusion. Just spent money trying to fix a problem that wasn't there until the ATCs arrived! Bit of a rookie mistake for someone into hifi for over 20 years. I do love the ATC sound when all is right, I'm missing elements of what they can do now the Credos are back in. What I'm not missing however, is being sat analysing the music, instead of just enjoying it. If only all studios used ATC to mix on!

Spacey, I haven't heard the MCP cover of Perfect Day, I'll track it down. Have you heard Elbows' cover of August & Sepetmber? It's mellower as you might expect, but as a The The fan, I love it.

Errol, too right, but prefer good ale!

Just found it, as a fan of both Elbow and The The, I'm surprised i missed that one - cheers heath :)

Post The The, Burning Blue Soul is just so timeless..

MJ is such a great song writer

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me around two years to love my ATCS but it was worth the effort for sure.
To my ears they just want to be loud and played loud i use talk amps on mine with no problems but also i dont have to worry about the neighbours(sound proof attic).
Densen amps i think would solve your problems??
Last point from me is its the proformance of the music that counts not just how it sounds on a hifi

Quite a different sound to active 50's then! What didn't you find in the active system then? did you ever get to try an SCA2
with them?

see heathster's comments in #161, "being sat analysing the music, instead of just enjoying it" spot on.
thinking:confused: altering the system:) and then a bit later:confused: because the first niggle is sorted but now there is someting else, and it got
worse and more frustrating as time went on, now I can sit, listen and chill all night without thinking about my next "upgrade"

tried bryston BP25, nuvista pre, volume pot from a naim NAC62 pre amp, SCA2, Graaf GM 13.5B II, I then got a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with room correction and used that as a pre and then I looked back over the last few years, thought bollocks, sold the atc's and bought the Jamo's,that was about 2 years ago.
tried some meridian DSP5200's last year, the Jamo's and Lyngdorf, for me, were better, last december changed the Lyngdorf for the luxman and so far no plans to change, quite happy.

I found them to be a bit of a 'wall of sound' lacking finess at low levels, they only came to life when driven really hard. (owned 50ASL for just over a year)

I think this is nearest to an accurate description and I also think there are other speakers that are significantly clearer in the mid. The bass/mid crossover is culprit.

I had the entire range in my house while I was there and also speakers like ESL63s and 801 Matrix 3 to compare them with.

Ash

Not at all, IMHO. I mentioned before about a system I owned a few years ago, being; Meridian 588/SIA2-150/SCM20SL's, all wired up with Stereovox cables. Its a system I could enjoy no mater what. I'm building a very similar system ATM, but with the Perreaux 150i instead.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy my 50s at all. In fact I loved the sound but only when I played loud. I want and need a system that can play well into the night without waking up the rest of the family or street :)....

I think its less to do with quality so to speak. But more to do with the type of sound being produced. Actives are by nature more accurate, they're designed for the analysis of a production firstly, then the reproduction.

There's certainly a difference between the two types, even with ATC's, you just need to pick a flavour!.

ATV1 -> DacMagic -> B200/B320 -> choice of ATC SCM7s, Harbeth P3ESR or Tannoy Chatsworth (12" Golds)

Turntable is a Technics SL-10.

The room is the main problem: I haven't been happy with system sound since moving in and has led to lots of random purchases, none of which have gelled. I am about to have time off between contracts and intend to get to the bottom of it.

Side note: Looks like I am getting a Densen B200/B320 due to this thread!

Hi jimb0

Densen's B200 Plus and B320 Plus (these are playing in the background as i write this) work a treat with SCM7 monitors :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A Nait 5i-2. I'm mainly changing as the system I was happiest with in the past in a different house was a Densen B100 -> ATC SCM7 combo.

The pre/power should give me more options speaker-wise. I think I need to experiment with room damping and speaker positioning and perhaps look at some different speakers.

I want to get back to not thinking about the kit and just listen to music!

advertisement

Back