advertisement

AT VM cartridges.

Of course they are. I don’t especially like the Rega tonearms – too dark sounding, I like my vinyl bright and lively – but it works yes.
As for the phono stage, you’ll have to choose 68k and no capacitance for a bright, CD-like sound and stick to 47k and 200 pF for something a bit warmer (and boring ;)).
All a matter of taste!

Of course they are. I don’t especially like the Rega tonearms – too dark sounding, I like my vinyl bright and lively – but it works yes.
As for the phono stage, you’ll have to choose 68k and no capacitance for a bright, CD-like sound and stick to 47k and 200 pF for something a bit warmer (and boring ;)).
All a matter of taste!

If I waanted bright CD like sound I'd listen to my DAC ;-) saying that it's quite smooth as it's a Rega too.

Been enjoying a Nag mp110 for a couple of years so the stylus is prob past it and curious about a change to either one of these ATs or the Exact.

If I waanted bright CD like sound I'd listen to my DAC ;-) saying that it's quite smooth as it's a Rega too.

Been enjoying a Nag mp110 for a couple of years so the stylus is prob past it and curious about a change to either one of these ATs or the Exact.
Hello, is the lifespan of Nagaoka needles really that short?

When I was considering which one to get I found a german article which suggested the 540ML sounded better than the 740ML. I went for the 540ML, I'm really happy, although haven't heard a 740ML.

Cheers BB
One reason for these two to sound more alike than different will be that they share the same VMN40ML stylus assembly. This isn't really 700 series class, as it shares the molded plastic suspension tie 'wire' of the lesser A-T MMs, vs. the stainless steel tie wire of VMN50SA and VMN60SLC, with these two having inherited such from the AT150 series*, this after a very long absence of same from A-T MMs (as opposed to A-T MCs).

* As well as from the lesser known AT5V and AT7V models, still highly coveted in Japan with AT5V showing as still on the books there; a lowly 0.6mil bonded conical VM but with stainless steel suspension wire.

Well, I’ve got an AT150SA that sounds – to these ears at least – inferior to the 740ML. Interesting.
Actually, the VMN40ML on the AT150 body has my preference!

Well, I’ve got an AT150SA that sounds – to these ears at least – inferior to the 740ML. Interesting.
Actually, the VMN40ML on the AT150 body has my preference!
Coil inductance only changed by 30mH between 150Sa (490mH) and the current VM Series (460mH), with that of 150Ti (titanium-coated tapered boron cantilever), 150ANV (0.4mmØ sapphire pipe), and 150MLX (gold-coated tapered boron) having been dropped to 350mH in order to push their HF peaks further up (for a given loading), better revealing their superior cantilevers' near total lack of in-band parasitic resonances (combined with appearing really impressive in the specs).

The disappointment for me was them dropping the exotic cantilevers while at the same time jacking up the prices of VM700 series.

advertisement

Back