advertisement

AT VM cartridges.

Getting back to the OP's interest in "price to performance across the range", it is worth considering that one could easily go through 3 x VMN95E styli in the time it takes to wear out 1 x VMN95ML. Therefore, if the budget can stretch to £154.99 vs. 3 x £49.99 (over a scant few years for some) then why not enjoy near perfect tracing across all of one's records over the same time period for the same money.

If you're going to stretch to 150 quid for a 95ML, stretch to 210 for a 540ML. The impressive stereo separation and rich detail isn't just due to the elegant tapered cantilever, it's a better body than a VM95 and it will still be a better body when you affix your next stylus whether it's a VMN10CB, VMN20EB, VMN30EN, VMN40ML, VMN50SH, VMN60SLC or VMN70SP.

That extra 60 quid won't break the bank, but the performance, convenience and price will make you wonder whether an upgrade to a more expensive MC cartridge is really worth it.

Add in interoperability with the 7 series MMs, and it's a hella versatile family.

If you're going to stretch to 150 quid for a 95ML, stretch to 210 for a 540ML. The impressive stereo separation and rich detail isn't just due to the elegant tapered cantilever, it's a better body than a VM95 and it will still be a better body when you affix your next stylus whether it's a VMN10CB, VMN20EB, VMN30EN, VMN40ML, VMN50SH, VMN60SLC or VMN70SP.

That extra 60 quid won't break the bank, but the performance, convenience and price will make you wonder whether an upgrade to a more expensive MC cartridge is really worth it.

Add in interoperability with the 7 series MMs, and it's a hella versatile family.

I honestly didn't find so much difference between VM95ML and VM540ML.

maybe my ears are getting old....:eek:

I really like the Rega Carbon…..
For a laugh I put one of these (well, the AT version) on a stock Lenco GL75 tonearm. It rocked 45 singles like nothing I’ve ever heard. Yes the end of groove distortion was horrendous but it was so much fun.

Sense prevailed and now it has an RB300 and a VM95ML on it. I cannot rate this cartridge highly enough, but if you own any Naim phono stage you have to drop the input capacitance on it to really make it sing.

I chose the ATVM95 because I want a low compliance cartridge that suits my hevier tonearms. I'm very happy for the choice and I don't feel the need to replace them with my more expansive cartridges (kept in a drawer).

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to put a few hours on the VM95e with a broader selection of music( mainly been listening to vocal/acoustic) and we'll go from there. The good thing about cartridges is, their small. SWMBO will never know.

Cheers Steven.

I have a very low hours (<75hrs) AT VM95 paratrace with Rigbi body here if anyone is after the best you can get from this great VM generator.

I have a very low hours (<75hrs) AT VM95 paratrace with Rigbi body here if anyone is after the best you can get from this great VM generator.

apologies that I assumed people knew about the paratrace profile. Just to clarify… AT do not offer this profile, it’s a unique stylus cut that’s complex to make and is usually found on very expensive carts. There’s some details here albeit the example show on on the older 95 body, mines the latest VM motor & the stylus body is black and much neater

https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/95p-paratrace-stylus-for-at95e-cartridge/

apologies that I assumed people knew about the paratrace profile. Just to clarify… AT do not offer this profile, it’s a unique stylus cut that’s complex to make and is usually found on very expensive carts. There’s some details here albeit the example show on on the older 95 body, mines the latest VM motor & the stylus body is black and much neater

https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/95p-paratrace-stylus-for-at95e-cartridge/
Without meaning to denigrate your modded VM95 in any way, it occurs to me that the £170 cost of a Paratrace replacement stylus, plus the £49.99 (full retail) for VM95E (although one could go for VM95C at £33.99) puts one exactly at the £219.99 asking price of VM540ML, a superior generator when it comes to stereo separation, and including a stylus profile that digs as much or more for longer than any.

Sticking with A-T's own VM95 styli upgrades, £134.99 gets one a nude ML.

I can almost see the logic of the Paratrace upgrade back in the AT95E times, although the total was still the cost of AT95E above AT440ML (the latter typically £169 retail).

If you’re considering the VM540ML at £220 it has to be worth paying the extra £60 to get the VM740ML The same great stylus, the same great generator, with the added benefit of the metal body.

If you’re considering the VM540ML at £220 it has to be worth paying the extra £60 to get the VM740ML The same great stylus, the same great generator, with the added benefit of the metal body.

Whether it's a benefit or not may depend on the arm you use, as the main difference between these two cartridges seems to be body weight. I've seen no strong evidence that aluminium alloy is always a better material for a cartridge body than pocan. I'm sure they are both great cartridges, but whether one is better than the other may be hard to discern.

The difference between the 95ML and 540ML is not so obscure. The 5XX and 7XX series have a mechanism in the motor to reduce cross-talk, and the VMN40ML has a more sophisticated cantilever which is tapered, reducing moving mass at the stylus. It's also more compliant. These are differences with persuasive design benefits.

To be clear, I'm sure you can't go wrong with a 540 or 740, but I think there is clear water between 95ML and 540ML, whereas 540ML and 740ML may be nearly indistinguishable. Some may even prefer the 540ML.

When I was considering which one to get I found a german article which suggested the 540ML sounded better than the 740ML. I went for the 540ML, I'm really happy, although haven't heard a 740ML.

Cheers BB

My cart also has the rigbi alloy body
Not sure if this was in response to my post, or Malcolm's, however, your RigB 95 adds another £59 over what is already VM540ML money (i.e. VM95E at £49.99 plus Paratrace replacement stylus at £170). IOW, assuming one started with a new VM95E then they've just invested 1 quid less than VM740ML money, at least at full retail prices. Fine if one wishes to experiment with seeing how far one can take the VM95 generator, however crosstalk, stereo separation and channel balance will not have budged.

advertisement

Back