advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to buy a Prism Orpheus for my Mac Mini. I tried it and it's the best sounding converter I have listened to so far. But it's not cheap, it has no remote, it's impossible to switch inputs without a computer, it has only one optical input. On the other hand, I really like the integration of the 8200 cdq with iTunes, i like its design, plus it's about one third the price of the Orpheus. I don't need a cd player, though, and I would like a rotary control for the volume. So, basically I'm waiting for the 8200 dq. But do you think its sonic quality will be somehow close to the Orpheus?
My system is very simple: a Mac Mini, an Echo Audiofire 4, a couple of Me Geithain RL 940 biamped monitors. I also have a PS3 and a digital tv decoder, both with optical outputs. A turntable in the future could be added (and the Orpheus can be used a phono preamp as well).
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Bruno

Hi Keith and thank you for your answer. I actually listened to the Weiss 202 and I liked it very much, but in my system the Orpheus sounded definitely better.

I had it for a week (and it was always on). The Weiss sounded very good, but the Orpheus was jawdropping. Shame I have to pay for 8 channels A/D and 6 D/A which I don't really need. By the way, here in italy the Weiss 202 costs slightly more than the Orpheus.
But the question was how does the Prism compare to the 8200 cdq (or better, the 8200 dq).

Bruno

Getting confused, are we still talking the CDQ ?...looks like the topic is drifting a bit.

Last night I was really impressed. I put Tania Maria (The very best of) Manteca label. Track 8 : Granada, which is live, was stunning ! The live atmosphere; I could feel it. Dynamics, scale awsome. Piano on track 9 "Valeu" which is live was stunning and just like a REAL piano should sound.......Looks like my Audio Innovations is starting to run in now, Russian valves....good stuff....

I have to purchase a lead to connect to laptop, I notice that the connection on Audiolab does not take a standard USB type. I wonder if I can stream from Spotify.com.

Yes, we are. The question is: has anyone compared the Cdq (used as a computer dac) to something like the Prism Orpheus?

just ordered a CDQ now waiting for shipment from Bartletts-HiFi/London.

is there any reason to ask my dealer to check for newest hard/software revision? would be a pitty to have to send it for updates just after receiving...

Thx for advice.

p.s.: when having it i will report: coming from SONOS/Benchmark DAC1Pre/Classé CA-150

just ordered a CDQ now waiting for shipment from Bartletts-HiFi/London.

is there any reason to ask my dealer to check for newest hard/software revision? would be a pitty to have to send it for updates just after receiving...

Thx for advice.

p.s.: when having it i will report: coming from SONOS/Benchmark DAC1Pre/Classé CA-150

Hi Paps, I thought i would chip in here as i have read this thread from the begining, you may not get a reply as some would say your questions have already been answered, anyway, some have had trouble playing even new discs on the cdq, here is the page with the changelog. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83778&page=121 CDQ's with the updated firmware will not be avail. for a couple of months, there seems to be some nice changes to the firmware and to answer your question, yes you will have to send it back if you want the update, or perhaps bartlets have done the update, check this thread to find out how to do a firmware check on your machine when it arrives, you will only have to read a few pages back.

thx for kind response.

i know about change log but i do not know if all currently available devices in europe come from same charge, guess yes.

confusing was that some audiolab dealer in Hamburg (Germany) better not mentioned again told me that: ..."some important parts" were changed for the german market. i really had to laugh my ass off. so i ordered at Bartletts, London (cool staff!), cause i hate that dealer gossip.

think i'm kidding? it's true! you can ask my mom!

i'm really glad i've found this post. it's the only real 8200cdq post!
here i found out about different hard/software revision.
i will tell my dealer and find out.

i'm looking forward for interesting discussion.
coming from SONOS/Benchmark DAC-Pre/Classé Audio CA-150

...to meet John Westlake yesterday at the Bristol show, where he graciously took the 20 minutes or so needed to update the firmware on my 8200CDQ.

For those who ask, "why can't we upgrade the firmware ourselves" it's useful to know the level of complexity this task entails. There are several sets of code to change, some of them not accessible via the USB interface. It is also a process not entirely without risks, as JW would undeniably admit ;)

So until, if ever, it is felt that the extra development time and implementation expense of a user-safe upgrade process is worthwhile, I suspect that this won't happen. In any case, we are the early users of a significant new development which, once stabilised, is unlikely to change for quite a while.

It was great to meet John & Renata yesterday, oh, and not forgetting the most important member of the team, Bobby.

This updating thing is confusing me. So from what I can see, the update does not enhance the actual sound....in that case, I am happy with my CDQ.

OH yes; vocals are special, John Martyn CDs, I have had for a few years now, took on new life. One thing I noticed, Dina Washington, think it was live at Newport, sometime in the 1950s, "all of me"...interesting as she opens, her head moves away from the microphone.

Here's a review of the 8200CD by German magazine "Einsnull", the one that reviewed the M2Tech Young a while back. They came out extremely impressed, although omitted mentioning any A/B tests. The Google translation is a bit weird, but I suppose it's a good read nonetheless: http://translate.google.com/transla...t.de/test/da-wandler/audiolab-8200cd_2929.php

Pity about the translation, as I cannot make out what he is on about. Looks like ke prefers the sound via HD ????

He likes that a lot, that's a good review. A little less effuse than the Young review a few months back but he sees absolutely no flaws with the unit and highly rates the sound quality for the naturalness of the presentation. He rates the HD source as better but limits that statement to referencing only the higher bit rate material. He alludes to prefer 44.1 source direct from the cd itself, though doesn't make it as a bold statement

...to meet John Westlake yesterday at the Bristol show, where he graciously took the 20 minutes or so needed to update the firmware on my 8200CDQ.

Many thanks to PlutoX and JohnW for letting me join their party! Hope you had a trouble free drive home PlutoX.

And JohnW thanks for spending some more of your time answering my questions.

Ended up buying a 8200CDQ at the Bristol show!

Now all I need to do is decide on some new speakers...

Finchlean

OH yes; vocals are special, John Martyn CDs, I have had for a few years now, took on new life. One thing I noticed, Dina Washington, think it was live at Newport, sometime in the 1950s, "all of me"...interesting as she opens, her head moves away from the microphone.

You're making me want to buy more CD's :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back