advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried the digital filters, and to be honest cannot really discern much difference in sound.I have heard that OP/TRANSIENT is perhaps the best, but then again there are even more choices in that, DD, XD etc, the manual does not discuss these. Also I cannot get in to SDM modulator as it does not appear on the display when I forward through. Anyone got any advice here ?

Those PMC active monitors look very interesting ; an elegant solution for the CDQ. Could you elaborate on your impressions so far, and comparison to any other active monitors you might have tried?

Thanks

Jan

Jan, The PMCs are excellent; neutral and controlled with an broad range. I wrote about them in more detail earlier in this thread, but they are the first set of actives I've owned after years of using passive speakers and integrated amps (at various times Mission 751, Tannoy and Quad 11L paired with Denon PMA-250II and Marantz PM-78).

They are a massive step up on all of that - as they should be given the price difference, but they also comfortably bettered everything active I auditioned around the same price point.

I listened to various Dynaudios and Adams, AVI 9.1, Opal Event, Unity Rock, Geithain M02, Focal Solo and Twin actives and was close to going for the Twins before a dealer suggested trying the TB2S-AII. They just worked with every all the reference CDs I was using, and beat the Twins in terms of controlling the bass.

As you'll see they're not a true active model, but have a 200w class-D monoblock amp strapped on the back which is specifically designed for their passive crossover. The reason I was looking at an active solution rather than bi-amping passives was because I'd been impressed by the theory behind having a dedicated power amp for each driver, but amongst the models I auditioned the PMC solution was clearly the best.

One other model impressed me, the Klein & Hummel 0300. However, they are a good bit more expensive and I didn't have the chance to compare them head-to-head with the TB2S. Also the TB2S are better suited to home setup, if only because they come with grilles.

Thanks for the advice on mains conditioning. Have you had any experience, positive or negative, with non-inline conditioners such as the Tacima, Isotek or Russ Andrews designs. Apart from anything else, I do like the idea of having some kind of surge protection for expensive kit like this!

Best, Duncan

I have tried the digital filters, and to be honest cannot really discern much difference in sound.I have heard that OP/TRANSIENT is perhaps the best, but then again there are even more choices in that, DD, XD etc, the manual does not discuss these. Also I cannot get in to SDM modulator as it does not appear on the display when I forward through. Anyone got any advice here ?

Lonergan,
I can't say that one filter is consistently best, finding that some recordings sound better with one than the other. The option to change them is a great feature, though.
Access to the SDM modulator was dropped at the last minute in favour of additional filters.
John explained the new filters effects earlier in this thread, page 53:

"The CDQ also has 3 additional filters.

Minim Phase – This approximates the “Apodising aka Apodizing filters” type filters.

Optimal Transient XD - Extended Definition, but looses a little on L-R sound stage over the standard Optimal Transient filter to my ears.

Optimal Transient DD – offers a “Bassier” sound which some may prefer over the standard and XD Optimal transient filters, but looses out on detail and sound stage."

Hi Duncan,

Thanks very much for that write up, most useful. I'll track down the PMCs here and have a listen.

Regarding the Tacima, Isotek or Russ Andrews non-inline conditioners, I'm afraid I don't know them, so can't comment.

I've never used surge protection on any of the four systems I'm running. They're in two different houses, one of which is regularly subject to power outages and the subsequent surges. The only piece of equipment to suffer a power surge was a computer power supply. I do work for a hydroelectric company though, so maybe I'm blessed :)

ATB

Jan

The reason I was looking at an active solution rather than bi-amping passives was because I'd been impressed by the theory behind having a dedicated power amp for each driver.

I can confirm that the theory works very well in practice. A friend of mine runs his custom-built speakers with a triamped system using Linar power amps hard wired to each driver. For the crossover, he uses the DEQX system to set cutoff ponts, slope, and adjust phase, all in the digital domain. In a word, stunning, but also very musical.

Jan

Also depends on your amps in my experience.

I have Pmc ob1's, used to have them bi-amped with 4 audiolab 8000M mono blocks which are 125w each which I thought were really good.

I then changed to a bryston 6b-sst 300w per channel so just one amp per channel this sounded a lot better and much more controlled.

Lonergan,
I can't say that one filter is consistently best, finding that some recordings sound better with one than the other. The option to change them is a great feature, though.
Access to the SDM modulator was dropped at the last minute in favour of additional filters.
John explained the new filters effects earlier in this thread, page 53:

"The CDQ also has 3 additional filters.

Minim Phase – This approximates the “Apodising aka Apodizing filters” type filters.

Optimal Transient XD - Extended Definition, but looses a little on L-R sound stage over the standard Optimal Transient filter to my ears.

Optimal Transient DD – offers a “Bassier” sound which some may prefer over the standard and XD Optimal transient filters, but looses out on detail and sound stage."

AHHH! thanks, one mystery solved. Yes OP/TRANS on its own, I think that this is the best, well the one that I prefer.

I have routed my phono stage (NVA and PSU) in to the CDQ, therefore there is now one RCA connection to the AUdio innovations. Listened to Grace Jones Warm Leatherette to day, and sounds good. Of course the audio innovations is still running in, but it was a great improvement from listening to vinyl 2 days ago. The presentation was clean. I have set the volume on the CDQ so that I can set the volume on the AI at 9 position for a fairly good hefty out put.

Outstanding review!

I just purchased an 8200cd, was thinking about the 'Q' but decided that I would probably be sticking with my current amp set-up for the time being.

I am upgrading from an old Rotel that served me well for many years.

I like the flexibility of the 'filters' which can deliver some of the characteristics of more 'colourful' components (i.e. NAD, NAIM, Denon, Byston etc.) without being married to it.

I found Optimal Transient to the filter winner as well ;)

Another amazing suprise was that the DAC itself (streaming from iTunes w/ USB) sounds very, very close to the CD. I demo'd the CD player with some very top-shelf components, very revealing and there was only a, let's say, 5% improvement. So certainly no consolations when letting some playlists stream for background music.

I am slowly transferring everything over to Digital so the 8200CD was the perfect transition piece for me.

Can hardly wait for the weekends :p

Steve

Found a LINN sacd cd amongst my collection, and played it CRAP...apart from one jazz track...the classical collection was awful......

Outstanding review!

I just purchased an 8200cd, was thinking about the 'Q' but decided that I would probably be sticking with my current amp set-up for the time being.

I am upgrading from an old Rotel that served me well for many years.

I like the flexibility of the 'filters' which can deliver some of the characteristics of more 'colourful' components (i.e. NAD, NAIM, Denon, Byston etc.) without being married to it.

I found Optimal Transient to the filter winner as well ;)

Another amazing suprise was that the DAC itself (streaming from iTunes w/ USB) sounds very, very close to the CD. I demo'd the CD player with some very top-shelf components, very revealing and there was only a, let's say, 5% improvement. So certainly no consolations when letting some playlists stream for background music.

I am slowly transferring everything over to Digital so the 8200CD was the perfect transition piece for me.

Can hardly wait for the weekends :p

Steve

OMG I was using a Rotel as well.....and yes OP/ TRANS is my choice as well....

Patricia Barber: NIGHTCLUB: I usually use this as a refrence, as good as any so called HD or what ever. THis period of assessment is difficult as this AI amp takes a few weeks to run in, howver transients are impressive, clarity and detail are very good, bass depth is good, sound staging has come on nicely. All I miss is some ambbiance.

Another amazing suprise was that the DAC itself (streaming from iTunes w/ USB) sounds very, very close to the CD.
Hi Steve,

Could you elaborate on your computer setup ? In my case, I found a definite drop in engagement with the music on computer playback (Win XP, Foobar 2000, ASIO4ALL) compared to the CD. And this was using files ripped by the UnitiServe.

Thanks

Jan

Met John at the Bristol Show today, wow really nice guy, thanks for the chat and info John.

while there I heard The Rock (Unity Audio) great sounding active speakers, think they would make a great combo with the CDQ/DQ, shame I already have speakers and power Amp sorted.

Ok, so!

Plugged in my laptop to the CDQ a few minutes ago. I'm using itunes with apple lossless.

Convenient isn't it?

Sound quality is well good indeed. As good as cd? Don't know yet.

But I am going to persevere with this hard drive music business for a while at least.

If this keeps working I may invest in a real streamer as soon as someone brings out one with a USB out.

Certainly intriguing enough to retain interest. Not bad for a cd luddite eh?

BTW, any more news from the brave frontiersmen trying to integrate the usb as an out with the streamer things?

Don't be too impressed with my technical language :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back