advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
dane,

The CDQ is connected to the Rotel RB1572 with RCA (I am considering XLR conversion on the Rotel which is simple from what i have seen online as the ice power modules are made for balanced use in the first place). I would like to hear JW's or Dominik's expert opinion on this mod if possible - link to french forum
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1056&t=29914113

Sorry, I missed your question concerning the Balanced conversion to your Rotel; it was posted during the very busy CES show period.

Along with the usual disclaimers, voiding of warranty, at your own risk etc, and so long as you have reasonably competent EE DIY skills it should be an easy modification - and one that I believe will bring a big improvement in sound, not only because you are now using the CDQ in Balanced mode, but also because the "Average" at best E-Cap's used for AC coupling on the Rotel’s input board are now removed (C601 etc)... this will result in a very big sound improvement.

But at your own Risk!!!

John

Thanks again John, I will get the cables with xlr to JST 3-pin (I think thats what its called) made in a shop and then its just to connect them as far as I can see.. I presume red is +, white is - and black is ground..

John I am Thinking of Building some XLR's myself, not because I think I can do any better but I thought it might be interesting, I have decided on conductors for the signal lines Hot and Cold, but wanted to pick your Brain, is the ground material important ? does it affect the signal quality or does it merely ground the two units. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Paul,

With Audio, you come to find that almost everything makes a difference - I guess why it’s so interesting - if not totally frustrating at times...

There’s no reason that the “Ground” need be the same type conductor as the “signal” lines…

Ok I need a pair of balqnced cables for my new cdq to a
Meridian 557.

I just need decent, clean copper , not interested in a cable debate,just some info on where to find an inexpensive properly made XLR to XLR.

Any sensible help please?

Proel DieHard or Van Damme OFC:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?browsemode=category&category=Cables_!amp!_Connectors&masthead=Audio_Cables_-_Pro&subheadnew=XLR_>_XLR

lindasbum,

No not at all, I've never bought expensive cables, just made my own...

pdavit,

Sorry, no sign of the 8200AP - although I did over hear that it had extra HDMI ports + now supports HDMI 1.4 (so added 3D support etc).

Hi Nikos,

I've tried to reproduce the issue on our office system - with headphones plugged in, I could only hear a faint sound coming out of the speaker if I put my ear right against the mid driver.

The amount of crosstalk you get depends on amplifier's input impedance, gain and the speaker sensitivity. I have done some measurements and it seems like with 20kOhm input impedance, the crosstalk level is -90dB. Considering your peak listening level is -20dB that gives -70dB of attenuation, which is adequate. Now with 100kOhm amplifier's input impedance the crosstalk will be about -82dB and in turn attenuation about -62dB which still looks reasonable. In the absolute worst case considering an unusually high 1MOhm input impedance, the crosstalk could reach -76dB and hence attenuation -56dB.

Please try to find out level on speakers that roughly matches the volume you experience while having headphones plugged in. Also please check the quoted input impedance of your poweramps.

It seems solving your issue will necessitate an increase of loading on the CDQs output and/or amplifier input. This could perhaps be accomplished by a modified interconnects with resistors fit inside the plug's body.

Dominik

Many thanks Dominik for your through investigation.

The input impedance of the power amps are 10 Kohm so i should get the max attenuation as per your findings.
For late night listening i will switch off the power amps.....

Nikos

This Headphones crosstalk looks to me like a warranty issue. This is unacceptable fault in the design. IMHO. I am planning to use a headphones a lot, small kid, and I can not imagine, that my wife would have to listen to the whispering speakers all the time. So the question to John and Dominik is: Will the design be changed to solve this issue? I would be very disappointed if this spoiled my plans to purchase the CDQ. I am quite looking forward buying it, I have to say.

This Headphones crosstalk looks to me like a warranty issue. This is unacceptable fault in the design. IMHO. I am planning to use a headphones a lot, small kid, and I can not imagine, that my wife would have to listen to the whispering speakers all the time. So the question to John and Dominik is: Will the design be changed to solve this issue? I would be very disappointed if this spoiled my plans to purchase the CDQ. I am quite looking forward buying it, I have to say.

I too am buying the CDQ primarily for headphone useage, as I have the neighbours from pin drop land!!, so to me this is an issue as well.

i'd appreciate a response to this thanks!.

Also I have one on order with Audio T they ain't even phoned me!!, paid a 1/5deposit on it in December!!

Ok I need a pair of balqnced cables for my new cdq to a
Meridian 557.

I just need decent, clean copper , not interested in a cable debate,just some info on where to find an inexpensive properly made XLR to XLR.

Any sensible help please?

I've just bought some Phono-XLR cabled from http://proaudioshop.co.uk/ VanDamme/Neutrik cables and very reasonably priced. They should hopefully be here next week. Once the MDAC's out I'll be ordering XLR-XLR also...

Hello

I recently bought the CDQ unit and I am having the following problem:

When I adjust the volume on my plinius 9200 amp from the remote control, it also changes the volume of the CDQ... Is there something that can be done about this?

Thanks!

Many thanks Dominik for your through investigation.

The input impedance of the power amps are 10 Kohm so i should get the max attenuation as per your findings.
For late night listening i will switch off the power amps.....

Nikos

10k is a perfectly fine value that should give no problem whatsoever. I'm afraid there might be something afoot with your unit. Our poweramps are 20k input impedance and in a quiet room with headphone jack plugged in, I cannot hear a thing unless I literally put my ear against the mid driver. 10cm away and I can't hear a whisper.

Please try listening on speakers with volume set all the way down to -80dB. Can you still hear anything? In our system, half a meter away from the speaker I can't hear a thing anymore.

Before anyone panics, bellow is maximum attenuation of the classic ALPS Blue Velvet pot just to have some perspective:

10kΩ≦R<50kΩ 80dB min.
50kΩ≦R<100kΩ 90dB min.

With fairly typical 10k input impedance of the poweramp you should get about 96dB attenuation from the CDQ.

Dominik

Hello

I recently bought the CDQ unit and I am having the following problem:

When I adjust the volume on my plinius 9200 amp from the remote control, it also changes the volume of the CDQ... Is there something that can be done about this?

Thanks!

Blu-tac over the remote sensor is your friend!

They must use the same remote control codes (RC5 I think is a standard from Philips years ago that most use)

Today i went to a fellow forumer's place mainly to hear his Dynaudio Sapphire speakers.
his system is plinius sa ref power amp, plinius tautoro pre and wadya 581se cd and about $20k in cables, power conditioners/supplies and room treatment..
I brought my CDQ and Rotel RB1572 power amp.. both has about 120hours on them so you can argue they are not broken in yet.

Now I dont have very experienced hifi ears, but firstly I must say his system sounded amazing to me.. ok that is to be expected coming from my Dynaudio Focus 140 bookshelfs driven by a Denon AVR until last week when I got the CDQ and Rotel.

So after listening to his set-up we hooked up my CDQ. first to his pre and thereafter straight to the power amp using digital pre and the OS filter which was re-confirmed as my preferred setting.
My very friendly host who of course is used to his system and definatly has more trained ears than me, said he easily could hear a difference and that while the CDQ sounded very good for the money, the Wadia player ($10k) sounded fuller and more organic and same with the Pre ($8k).
I dont disagree, the CDQ when in direct comparison with a USD 18,000 cd/pre combo did sound a bit more digital and had a bit narrower soundstage but I my opinion it held up very well and on some tracks I think the bass was more defined or precise (this was described as less organic by my host). Each step down (CDQ to Plinius pre, CDQ to Plinius power amp) made minor changes but I am not sure that I would notice unless it was in direct comparison with hi-end gear as it was today.
Again I am a novice to hifi on this level, but the listening session taught me that speakers and room has the biggest (by far) influence and a well designed 'budget' electronic product isn't far off true hi-end gear.
We also tried my Rotel power amp which cost a bit less than the CDQ and again the sound was amazing to my ears, though not as fluid as the giant Plinius class A.
My own conclusion is to spend the 'money' on speakers and room (and music) and save on the electronics.
My host is of the opinion that good speakers are a waste with cheap electronics and cables, and that spending should be 'balanced' for the best result.
We didnt do any test with cables, and in any case I am never going to spend 3k on an interconnect or power cord (until I am convinced otherwise).
There is of course no right or wrong in hifi. We all have a budget (i guess) so people should follow their ears and beliefs and wallets..
I am very happy with the CDQ and I will be getting the Dynaudio Sapphires in about 5 weeks time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back