advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John I have a question about balanced connection, I know you have said earlier in the thread they are preferable to std interconnection, with shorter cable runs say 50cm or less Say From CDQ to Power amp directly below would the balanced connection still superior or are the differences less noticeable?

Hi John

Thanks for the quick response! Its great to see your finally getting this product out there after so long! It seems like an amazing piece of kit and it is totally directed at people like me! To find a balanced DAC+headphone amp in one with fantastic SQ - at this pricepoint - it does not exist! I'm pretty sure if this product is marketed well on places such as head-fi people will go crazy over it! Headfier's love their DACs/DAC-amps!!

Will you be at the Bristol Show this year with Audiolab? Also do you reckon a prototype / finished MDAC will be there?!:D

Thanks again

Himesh

What's the latest call on a price-point for the MDAC? I wouldn't even need the pre-amp or headphone aspect, but would be looking at either MDAC, rDAC or Rega. If the price-point is right it'll be worth the wait to allow choice of the best of the 3.

Ordered my CDQ yesterday night via the internet (like wouter: schlauershoppen.de). Depot is in Hamburg (Germany). UPS may be delivering tomorrow or perhaps one day later at my doorstep.
To the audio friends in the UK: price in euros (1200) is significantly higher than you will pay in GBP. Also: powercord will not fit in your wall. So keep patience!

Ps: wouter's report was the trigger for placing the order, even though I never doubted John's owns qualifications. Also, unlike André, I am not cynical about the audio press in general and immediately recognised the relevance of the HFC review. My advice: simply stop reading magazines where everything being reviewed is weighed in gold. What is your definition of a "giant killer"?
Pps: To the audio friends in Germany: wake-up! Your CDQ's are currently being exported to Belgium and the Netherlands. Start reading english-written magazines :D

I know about IAG, Quad are just one of the brands in the ground along with the other 6-8 makes.

Sorry, Meant to write below the link my guess is that they probably share distribution across several brands, it would make sense from a cost perspective.

Also, unlike André, I am not cynical about the audio press in general and immediately recognised the relevance of the HFC review. My advice: simply stop reading magazines where everything being reviewed is weighed in gold. What is your definition of a "giant killer"?
Hi Calvin&Hobbes (loved the nick, BTW),
a 'giant killer' would be something that witchdoctorgaz described... being on par with the new Moon CDP or Emm Labs DAC. I'm also looking very strongly into the Emm Labs, dCS and Esoteric direction ATM. I just read witchdoctorgaz's review. He compared it to his Dacmagic, which I have already had (and is a great product for the price IMO), but my current DAC is definitely well beyond that level. I'd love to be able to audition it at home before buying, but living in Brazil makes that impossible. In that sense I have to be mighty confident in buying something that isn't necessarily going to be a significant upgrade.
In this case I prefer to rely more on user comments than the audio press, since most can't/won't give out bad reviews.
just my 2 cents
best regards
André

Hi Paul,

There is also a technical reason related to how the differential signals are internally summed that the Differential outputs are superior to the Single-Ended RCA output.

With the Balanced connection, not having to rely on a "Ground" connection shared with its non-signal related currents is a very big bonus.

C&H,

Looking forward to your comments when you receive your unit

Himesh,

The Guys at Audiolab UK have invited me to the Bristol Show, Ill bring along the MDAC…

Linds,

MDAC still targeted to retail under GBP400 – but we still have not done the final BOM…

Hello Dominik,

Please do your best at finding a solution for me.

I do not exceed the -20 mark on the display. I usually listen between -30 and -20. I also listen at the same volume through my headphones.

I have also tested today the same with my ARCAM T92 tuner which has a digital output and via a toslink cable i have connected it to the CDQ. The same crosstalk appears on the main speakers when inserting the headphones in the jack.

Thanks,

Nikos

Hi Nikos,

I've tried to reproduce the issue on our office system - with headphones plugged in, I could only hear a faint sound coming out of the speaker if I put my ear right against the mid driver.

The amount of crosstalk you get depends on amplifier's input impedance, gain and the speaker sensitivity. I have done some measurements and it seems like with 20kOhm input impedance, the crosstalk level is -90dB. Considering your peak listening level is -20dB that gives -70dB of attenuation, which is adequate. Now with 100kOhm amplifier's input impedance the crosstalk will be about -82dB and in turn attenuation about -62dB which still looks reasonable. In the absolute worst case considering an unusually high 1MOhm input impedance, the crosstalk could reach -76dB and hence attenuation -56dB.

Please try to find out level on speakers that roughly matches the volume you experience while having headphones plugged in. Also please check the quoted input impedance of your poweramps.

It seems solving your issue will necessitate an increase of loading on the CDQs output and/or amplifier input. This could perhaps be accomplished by a modified interconnects with resistors fit inside the plug's body.

Dominik

I am unable to find the SDM modulation Mode which is described in the manual under7b. It cant be found when in menu..
anyone can try if you can find it?

by the way, I am bringing the CDQ to a fellow forumer's place tomorrow. He has some serious hi-end gear.. cd player is a Wadia 581se (USD10k).

will be interesting what my relative untrained ears will experience..

by the way, I am bringing the CDQ to a fellow forumer's place tomorrow. He has some serious hi-end gear.. cd player is a Wadia 581se (USD10k).

will be interesting what my relative untrained ears will experience..

Hi Dane hope to hear updates fr you soon. :D

I am unable to find the SDM modulation Mode which is described in the manual under7b. It cant be found when in menu..
anyone can try if you can find it?

The answer is here:

Selection of the SDM mode was dropped at the last moment, as we need control of the SDM mode with our new filters – We are now doing far more complex operations that combine Filter & SDM mode.

The first 1000 user manuals printed still have reference to the SDM mode selection – sorry, that’s our fault – but we felt that the new filters brought such an improvement that it was worth the slight confusion. Later CDQ’s will have updated Manuals.

;)

Hi dane,

Sounds like you finally have your CDQ :) I very much hope you enjoy.

technobear has already answered (thank you technobear) - the SDM mode has been removed as we need full control of the Modulators with the newly developed filter modes – the manuals had already been printed – but we felt that the improvement in SQ by adding the filters was worth the effort – and the slight embarrassment of “incorrect” manuals – the next batch of manuals printed will be updated.

I’d just like to stress the importance to "run-in" the unit - A new unit needs a week to reach optimal performance from out of the box - although most change appears to happen within the first 24 Hours.

Insure the unit is set to "Digital" Pre-Amplifier Mode

Try the different filter options... I'm not sure how the units are shipped - but the "Standard" Fast / Slow filters are not much loved...

Looking forward to your results!

John

Hi John,
thanks your reply! I posted my initial findings on the pre modes and filters a few pages back.. to summarize: digital pre is clearly superior to analog. I like the MP and OS for clarity, the OS smoothens the high a bit which is not necessary on my speakers and the OS XD has too much bass for my speakers. the DD is probably best suited of the OT's in my setup.
If you have time, have a look at my post 2 pages back, I also asked a question about making XLR conversion to my Rotel class D power amp that I would like to hear your expert opinion on..
will report back tomorrow after comparing the CDQ to the Wadia playing through top-of-the-line plinius and Dynaudio Sapphires.. I have about 120 hours on the CDQ now..

nikos,
while aware it is not a permanent solution to your problem with sound from speakers when listening to headphones, but how about switching off your power amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom