advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the MDAC's shipped I'd be happy to help with any PSU upgrade advice, MDAC's will make a great platform to work with... If the sound quality of the CD/DQ & CDQ are anything to go by... :)

Sorry, I still don't understand :confused:

The MDAC will not be the same quality as the DQ etc because of the power supplies - fine with that. But to what extent can the MDAC be brought close to the DQ through improvements to the PSU? Is it still handicapped by poorer internal PSUs?

Ultimately I can't say I'm that bothered by spending a few hundred quid, I just want the design that is the most optimised and best sounding!

The speaker you refer to John is the Unity-Audio 'Rock' a little composite cabinet number by the guys who do those helmholtz cavity tuning devices. Both of which sounded great at the Hifi show the other month.

Thanks I'll check them out, might see if my local Digital Village have any in for demo. My only concern with the active monitors is that they may be a little over-revealing (Exactly what they're designed to be to allow for accurate mixing) Sometimes a little distorsion goes a long way;)

Dan , I gave them a good listen at Whittlebury, had ten minutes with them on my own and my selection of music on cd, they sounded very good. Not ultra ruthless by any stretch but certainly gave you it all, well, as far down as that mid-bass goes. Very tight sounding, worth the money for sure.

Hi Cloth Ears,

No plans ATM, as the units have already been reviewed. All 4 reviews have been extremely positive!

I'm sure it's a great player but it's merely a question of optimising. After all it only missed out on it because of time constraints, is that not so ?
Although you say there no plans to incorporate the CDQ's improvements into the CD, might it not be possible to do so for a future production run ?

Alternatively, one could get a CDQ and just use it as a player, but would that not require a fixed level output ? Can indeed that be selected in the CDQ software ?

The MDAC will not be the same quality as the DQ etc because of the power supplies - fine with that. But to what extent can the MDAC be brought close to the DQ through improvements to the PSU? Is it still handicapped by poorer internal PSUs?

Ultimately I can't say I'm that bothered by spending a few hundred quid, I just want the design that is the most optimised and best sounding!

I completely agree with you, amdismal, the key thing is knowing whether the MDAC could reach the same sound quality to the DQ using a better external PSU or not. I don't find any reason to save a few hundred pounds if later on, I have to spend this same money in an improved PSU. Another different thing is the case we could use a battery-based PSU and the performance using this kind of PSU is going to be better than the sound quality that we can reach with the internal PSU of the DQ. Any other case, I don't mind the OLED display or saving 100 or 200 pounds in this price range, I do mind the sound quality. Anyway, thank you so much John for your time. The way you are doing this is absolutely praiseworthy.

Cheers

Here we have a bit more expensive alternative to the 8200CDQ:

k01.jpg

- Compatible disc types: Super Audio CD, CD (CD-R/CD-RW compatible)
- Signal-to-noise ratio (S/N): 115 dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.0015% (1 kHz)
- USB port B connector: USB 2.0 / 192 kHz-24 bit async.
- The K-01 can accept and synchronize to the following frequencies received from external clock devices: 44.1 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 10 MHz (the accuracy of locking range limited within ±15 ppm)
- D/A Converter 32bit AK4399 x8 DACs / per channel

Are the Unity monitors truly active (2 separate amplifier in each) or are they simply powered similar to PMCs DB1S and TB2S (single amp)?

Aren't the guys at Esoteric a little embarrassed that the £675 Young from M2 Tech already does Async USb at twice their best data rate. Well done lads launch an immediately obsolete flagship product. Hopefully it has software upgradeability. ;-)

John,
could you tell me when the CDQ will probably be available. I have a brother who's coming to visit me here in Brazil and he just might be able to buy one before coming. It would have to be in the first half of december. Any chance that it'll be available by then?
best regards
André

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back