advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,
Loris,

Are you sure your using the counter correctly, check the trigger levels, and that the counters inputs are terminated correctly, sounds more like a measurement error then a real issue...
(You should measure 16.9344MHz, +/- 100ppm - if its really over 17MHz then this is bad news.Once I get back to China next we Ill take a look at a Dacapo PCB and forward other test points to Measure.)

I sent the dacapo to a repairer technician that works with this stuff and has an oscilloscope ( I haven't one :). I'll tell him your words, but I guess he did the measurement correctly.

Th cd8200 is out, the CDQ should be this side of xmas, theres no mention or review of the dac in the mags yet. You could try reading the thread.

Hi John,

Now the CDQ product seems to be final, how would you say it stacks up to the Benchmark DAC/Pre product line? I'll buy the CDQ anyways because of your info and enthusiasm here, so at least you can take that back to the Audiolab sales&mkt department ;-)

tx
Wouter

It's not that different from most product launches, look at the Naim Unitiqute for instance that was April then May then June and finally shipped in decent quantity in I think August.

well, I wanted to give it as a Xmas present to myself...
I think I'm going to invest the money into PCs...can't wait forever
maybe it's better this way, since I'll be able to listen to serious first-hand users before making a decision. I was kind of hyped of buying it blind, but now I'll wait.

wouter,

It would not be correct for me to comment about other manufactures products in comparison to my (our) own designs.

I can say that the CDQ / DQ simply outperform everything we have tried it against, including the likes of Benchmark.

lindasbum,

To use the CDQ with an integrated amplifier, you just need to set the CDQ's level to 0dB on the front panel (so it now functions as a simple CD player), then use your amplifiers volume control if you wish. If you buy a CDQ, then you always have the option of later upgrading your system with Power Amps.

Reverendo, RHCD, lindasbum,

CDQ's are leaving the factory everyday - so you should start to see air freighted units in the UK any week now - but Audiolab UK well have better information...

Hi John

I have every sympathy with your position. Anyone here involved with sizable projects will know that frustrating delays are a part of life, but that doesn't mean the end product isn't worth the wait.

On another topic, did you miss my question (repeated below) or was it too difficult to answer :p

John

I welcome your thoughts:

I have come to the conclusion that, at least in theory, the best possible sound quality is to be obtained by presenting bit perfect data to a seperate DAC via an asynchronous stream (I'm woolly on the technical details but firewire and Ethernet both seem to be well regarded; I presume asynchronous USB would also be in this category), which points to using a computer data source. The advantage here is that all the potential interference from the CD drive circuits are removed, and it should be possible to attain very low jitter through the DAC design. Do you agree with this perspective - which would point to your upcoming DAC is having the potential for best sound quality - or do you consider it more important to have a good CD drive within the unit to enable complete integration of the data stream? To put the question simply, which should give the better sq - the final revised CD player or the DAC (when matched to the right data stream)?

I would still very much like to hear your views on this.

Mark

Reverendo, RHCD, lindasbum,

CDQ's are leaving the factory everyday - so you should start to see air freighted units in the UK any week now - but Audiolab UK well have better information...
John,
I contacted them yesterday and the answer was: early 2011. It's a pity! :(
best regards
André

If people can't wait for it, regardless how long it takes, then just go out buy something else! If you want it bad enough then wait. I don't understand all this talk about lowered confidence in a product because it has taken a little longer than expected. Especially when a big reason for the delay has been to fine tune the product for you, the consumer. :rolleyes: As for what Audiolab's said regarding availability, perhaps they're just playing it safe. If the CDQs are being air freighted, surely it's good news since it means we're more likely to see the units this side of christmas. Besides if anything I think Audiolab are well aware of the sales impact if they hit or miss the christmas deadline. Money talks!

If people can't wait for it, regardless how long it takes, then just go out buy something else! If you want it bad enough then wait. I don't understand all this talk about lowered confidence in a product because it has taken a little longer than expected. Especially when a big reason for the delay has been to fine tune the product for you, the consumer. :rolleyes: As for what Audiolab's said regarding availability, perhaps they're just playing it safe. If the CDQs are being air freighted, surely it's good news since it means we're more likely to see the units this side of christmas. Besides if anything I think Audiolab are well aware of the sales impact if they hit or miss the christmas deadline. Money talks!
I do hope you're right about the sales parts and DEFINITELY... MONEY TALKS. If they get their (sales) act together maybe we get lucky. OTOH, I won't mind waiting and hearing what competent users will have to say about what type of sound it'll have and in the mean time I'll up on speakers and/or PCs.

If they are air-freigthing them daily then there should be some in the shops next week...

If they are saying Q1, then they are airfreighting dealer demo stock only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back