advertisement

Artists that start on a high and then never quite achieve that peak again

Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties
Dire Straits- Dire Straits
Elvis Costello- My Aim Is True (marginally)
Elvis definitely a contender. But I'd say his "golden period" was his first 7 albums. I'd change why mind from day to day about which of those was the peak. Given that we're talking 7/31, I think that qualifies as "early" :)

Elvis definitely a contender. But I'd say his "golden period" was his first 7 albums. I'd change why mind from day to day about which of those was the peak. Given that we're talking 7/31, I think that qualifies as "early" :)
There were definitely highs up until Delivery Man (about two-thirds of the way through.) His stuff after that could be good for all I know, I just haven’t made any effort to hear it.

I thought Damien Rice's most recent album was sublime.

The Felice Brothers.
The chemical bros.
Prodigy.
Nas.

A few good albums but just didn't produce anything I liked after a while

Captain Beefheart peaked early with Trout Mask Replica. Later music was still staggering and was a real influence on Punk etc until his illness. RIP.

Magic Band.

Huh? He made a couple of duds on virgin, every other album he ever made was better than the vast majority of stuff that gets released by anyone. His catalogue is one of the finest and most influential in all of rock music.

King Crimson...In the court of the crimson king - discuss!

I've got 40-odd concert recordings by KC that I'd put on ahead of their first album. I strongly recommend you listen to some of their live stuff from '73-'74, they made some of the most astonishing music by any band ever to play electric instruments. I'd happily listen to nothing else for months.

Aye, the first 6 are essential. Just don't look at the album cover of Sabotage. The Ronnie James Dio albums are a worthy addition.

advertisement

Back