advertisement

Artists that start on a high and then never quite achieve that peak again

Captain Beefheart peaked early with Trout Mask Replica. Later music was still staggering and was a real influence on Punk etc until his illness. RIP.

Magic Band.

Yes, to an extent I agree, but I always think that if Trout Mask Replica was the only album he ever made, then he still would have contributed a massive amount to modern music. You also have to understand that subsequent record labels always sought to make him more commercially acceptable.

Oasis - first 2, although loads of great b-sides from the same time.
Stone Roses - 1 classic album and again loads of good singles and b-sides
Boston - great first album then lose their way.
Arcade Fire - I like Funeral and Neon Bible, the one after that is mainly garbage apart from Sprawl II
Biffy Clyro - first album is great then they slowly descend into music designed for 14 year old girls.
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes one of the best metal albums ever made. The More Things Change is great as well and then nothing but crap ever since.
Korn - great first album then absolute garbage by the 3rd album.
Deftones - first 2 only

Santana. First 3 albums are classics, possibly 3 more in the 40 years since have come close.
Agree to a point, but also enjoy Moonflower, Caravanserai, and the second side of Borboletta. Many of the others have their moments, but are not consistently as good.

Radio Birdman.

Their first album from 1977 is one of the most electrifying rock records ever. Since then, a shit second album creeped out 3 years after they broke up in 1981 and they reformed and put out an OK album in 2006 that was largely an rather anaemic warming over of their first.

Radio Birdman.

Their first album from 1977 is one of the most electrifying rock records ever. Since then, a shit second album creeped out 3 years after they broke up in 1981 and they reformed and put out an OK album in 2006 that was largely an rather anaemic warming over of their first.

They were rather good at the start.

:cool:

Agree to a point, but also enjoy Moonflower, Caravanserai, and the second side of Borboletta. Many of the others have their moments, but are not consistently as good.

I'd nominate Caravanserai, Moonflower and Lotus, but none as good as those stellar first 3 or the live recordings of that band released since.

They were rather good at the start.

:cool:
Totally. Right up until they disintegrated on their first UK tour, they were one of the best rock bands ever. Have you seen the documentary? Pip, Denis and Rob come over as a bit of a clique and not the easiest people in the world to work with or be around.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Totally. Right up until they disintegrated on their first UK tour, they were one of the best rock bands ever. Have you seen the documentary? Pip, Denis and Rob come over as a bit of a clique and not the easiest people in the world to work with or be around.

I must check it out. Cheers.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Kate Bush. "The kick inside" was an amazing debut, "Lionheart" a solid follow up, and then (IMO) mediocrity.

advertisement

Back