advertisement

Artists and records you just can't listen to anymore

Crime of the century, isn't it ?

It was "Breakfast In America" that did me in. Just the Wurlitzer piano intro to "Logical Song" will send me reaching for the radio dial faster than anything. That album is so annoying that it soured me on the band's whole output forever, especially Hodgeson's cloying tenor.

anything by gary glitter, david cassidy, most michael jackson, elton john, err the bay city rollers. ( i can still cope with some T Rex) ......as has been said before i'll get my outer garment...Please forgive me I was only 14 or 15.

on a positive front i now get lots of reasonable to good stuff such as blues, good country, rolling stones, cream etc.

The Charlatans 'Some Friendly'

Flowered Up 'Life of Brian' - Listened to it recently and never got to side 2, although did hear 'It's On' on 6music the other day and it brought a smile to my face (leading to a full hearted 'whistle along')

anything by gary glitter, david cassidy, most michael jackson, elton john, err the bay city rollers.

I have to admit that I thought David Cassidy was secretly okay. His songs to me sounded sappy, sure, but they were good well crafted quality songs.
Ahemmm...moving on..

U2's The Joshua tree is a great album, played to death on the radio.
Still drives me crazy when I hear any of it.

Also, I used to love Jazz, but beeing an audiophile,regurlarly exposed to really well recorded bad Jazz (Jazz at the Crapshop comes to mind), it simply annoys me now. Except for a few immortal performances, I ditched most of my Jazz collection .

Anything by Sandie Shaw, she dosen't sing, she talks to a tune. How the hell she ever sold any records will go down as one of lifes mysteries.

Sandie Shaw was on Radio 4 ths morning is it. She has done with the music, and retrained as a psychotherapist . So that will be helpful there.

DS

Smoke on the Water, All right now, Wishing Well. Everytime I used to turn on the DAB tuner to Planet Rock you could gurantee that you would hear one of the above or one of the other usual suspects.
Sweet Child in Time, Sweet Jesus!!

anything by gary glitter, david cassidy, most michael jackson, elton john, err the bay city rollers. ( i can still cope with some T Rex) ......as has been said before i'll get my outer garment...Please forgive me I was only 14 or 15.

on a positive front i now get lots of reasonable to good stuff such as blues, good country, rolling stones, cream etc.

Gary Glitter I was a Slade lad at the time. David Cassidy did a couple of decent numbers at the time, I think one was attributed to the Partridge family. The oohing of MJ can be a bit tiresome but some I still like., Elton John is ok occasionaly but generally speaking his voice really grates on me. Bay City rollers pass, TRex I even bought a Best of but still don't like them.
Never really liked the Stones but now do.

Have you a spare coat ------

I played The Nightfly to death when it came out and can barely listen to it now same with Rod Stewart and The Faces.

I did the same with Talking Heads but still love everything they did, think I've got every format of Stop Making Sense, even went to the first screening in the old GFT ( The Glasgow Film Theater) when it was released.

Bob Marley is another artist I absolutely played to death and can't listen to much now although he was the best live artist I've ever seen in concert, totally amazing.

Also, I can't listen to anything by U2, particularly The Joshua Tree, now for all of the same reasons above.

Tony

In the 70s, due to a real dearth of worthwhile 'popular' music, I got more into Irish folk and traditional stuff. Whilst I would keep stuff by the Bothy Band and Planxty, I would happily dispose of the pretentious crud churned out by the Chieftains.

We're back to the same old same old. If you like it, it's good.. if not...

Coldplay. I don't mean this as an insult or a dig, because I did quite like Parachutes, and I thought Rush of Blood was OK, but I actually know when and where I was when I realised I wouldn't be listening to them anymore, although that's not relevant.

But I am intrigued as to the reason why I could so suddenly and absolutely....stop.

My theory is, that Coldplay's music is very straight-forward, simplistic almost, and this means that it does sound good the first time you hear it, but eventually, you have completely de-coded it, so there is nothing left for that part of your brain to be interested in.

It's like a piece of chewing gum that has had the taste chewed out of it.

After getting some records yesterday, including a PWEI remix, I was thinking that that the genre of UK indie dance crossever has not aged well is it.

PWEI, Jesus Jones, Carter USM, EMF, Neds, Sputnik and all them.

Not often picked off the shelf to listen to there.

DS

advertisement

Back