advertisement

Arkless 640P "Dr T Mode"/current input version interest check

Well it will be winging its way to Mikechadwick next:) to be hand delivered in fact I've just heard.... or left 2m away in the present times:rolleyes:

Any more people wish to go on the demo list?

At this rate I may end up having to put it in my own box with my own PCB but that will add about £200 to the cost so it will be put off as long as possible.

A board delivered from China is only a couple of dollars including tax and delivery, if you order from a UK company all you get is a China board with a big markup.

No worries. I came home to find a pristine 640P waiting to be sent on to you Jez. £54 inc postage, so they are out there.

In your opinion, is it worth investing in an improved power supply for these?

No worries. I came home to find a pristine 640P waiting to be sent on to you Jez. £54 inc postage, so they are out there.

In your opinion, is it worth investing in an improved power supply for these?

Absolutely not!!! No way. Do not use non standard PSU's unless of the same spec as the original. The wall wart for these is literally a transformer. That's it. Nothing else in the plastic wart. It is an AC wall wart. EVERYTHING that forms the actual PSU is inside the phono stage. It also relies on the transformer being puny etc to get the voltages correct. It's a linear supply of course.

Will any walwart work as I'm not sure I can see the original with it

It needs to be 12V AC and of roughly the original current rating. I don't have one to hand to check it but will be about 1A. Do not get one of a higher rating as it will likely not work properly.

This 700mA one should do the job https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-dc-adapters/1391770/

There's a 1A one but about £20 rather than £7

No it doesn't but I did buy it second hand some time ago so still might be what I was sent. I've just had a look at the back of my 640p and the power input has 12v and 0.50A on it

No it doesn't but I did buy it second hand some time ago so still might be what I was sent. I've just had a look at the back of my 640p and the power input has 12v and 0.50A on it

Ah well the original one has Cambridge Audio on it anyway.... It must be AC output. Where you say earlier "12v~500mA" the squiggle between 12V and 500mA looks right. It would normally be a solid line with a dotted line above it if DC. If you have a multimeter than you can of course test it on the AC range. Expect about 14-17V ish AC.

I think the phono stage in this new video works in the same way as Jez’s - though it’s a bit more expensive...

Had this for a couple of days now and I'm really impressed. Using it in my office system comprising Technics 1200GR/ Jelco TK850S/ Benz Micro Ace S L / Hegel H120/ Harbeth P3ESR's and the sound is really open, clear and 3 dimensional. I've been faffing around with phono stages in this system for a while and am currently using a MoFi Ultra phono stage which is good for the price (Tim de Paravicini had some input into the design) but the GTI is significantly better. I'll definitely be going for one of these once I can pick up a 640/651.

advertisement

Back